Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
St.Kilda ought to be clear favourites to finish above us now.

Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane, Carlton & Richmond are the only ones left that I'd say could finish below us.

Not that I want to finish below them or anything :footy:

Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane, Carlton & Richmond are the only ones left that I'd say could finish below us.

Not that I want to finish below them or anything :footy:
An odd thing to say after they got smacked by almost 100 points last week by Adelaide, who have been very unimpressive so far.

Don't think you can make any guesses on final ladder standings quite yet. I'd be pretty confident in St Kilda still being bottom 4, and Richmond finishing well above them.

An odd thing to say after they got smacked by almost 100 points last week by Adelaide, who have been very unimpressive so far.
Trip back from Perth sapped the gas from all their young players methinks.
Don't think you can make any guesses on final ladder standings quite yet. I'd be pretty confident in St Kilda still being bottom 4, and Richmond finishing well above them.
Not taking guesses on exactly where they'll finish, but I'm pretty confident they'll finish above us. Riewoldt is playing too well and a lot of their first year players have already come good. Also, they're playing with great cohesion whereas we still look like a pack of headless chooks for large parts of our matches.

Honestly I think we will end up with pick 4-7 (depends if Melb/Carl get band 1 compos for Frawley/Gibbs etc).
Lets say we get pick 5 which is about what we will get imho - If all of Wright/McCartin/Durdin/Goddard are all gone do we take Brayshaw who is the standout number #1 mid? or do we reach for the next string of KPP's (obviously heaps of things can still happen) after the 4 stand outs in Wright/McCartin/Durdin/Goddard. Wouldn't mind Lever with pick 5-8 but I'd prefer both Pickett/Brayshaw over Lamb at this stage.

I think Hugh Goddard may be in our reach but unlikely we will get a Wright/McCartin/Durdin. I remember Goddard was being talked up as the 2014 #1 pick 12-18 month ago, obviously alot has changed and will keep changing.

If i could take anyone for us right now it would be Sam Durdin who is probably rated around #2-3.

Honestly I think we will end up with pick 4-7 (depends if Melb/Carl get band 1 compos for Frawley/Gibbs etc).
Don't think Melbourne or GWS will take a Key-Position Foward with their first pick, can see the former picking Durdin though.
Lets say we get pick 5 which is about what we will get imho - If all of Wright/McCartin/Durdin/Goddard are all gone do we take Brayshaw who is the standout number #1 mid?
What we do is select someone with some raw ****ing pace. Probably our #1 need at the moment, even more so than a Key-Forward; the only reason I'd be more inclined to take the latter is because they're harder to find.

Jarrod Pickett would be nice, provided he has a good beep test and doesn't look the homesick type.

Nope. They've had a very favourable draw so far and will be found out soon.

Trip back from Perth sapped the gas from all their young players methinks.
Perhaps likewise with Essendon last night?

too early to predict ladder positions, teams might lose a lot of players to injury
which will be a factor, I'm hoping Melbourne win a couple at least so they avoid any priority picks
and Frawley stays :p

Nope. They've had a very favourable draw so far and will be found out soon
It's more than just a favourable draw, they're just playing far better football than we are. Then you factor in Riewoldt; he's a player capable of single-handedly winning games and he'd be our best player right now by quite a bit if we had him.

Perhaps likewise with Essendon last night?
Yes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think Melbourne or GWS will take a Key-Position Foward with their first pick, can see the former picking Durdin though.

What we do is select someone with some raw ****ing pace. Probably our #1 need at the moment, even more so than a Key-Forward; the only reason I'd be more inclined to take the latter is because they're harder to find.

Jarrod Pickett would be nice, provided he has a good beep test and doesn't look the homesick type.

Should take best available if the "Big 4" are gone. At this rate though, maybe we will get Durdin :)

Let's be honest here. We can bang on about needing a key forward or needing pace but it's bleedingly obvious that we need to recruit a sniper with an unwavering hatred for umpires.

And maybe a key forward and a key defender and some pace too.

More seriously, at risk of getting burnt at the stake, if we end up with a pick after the top 3-4 legitimate talls are gone, I think we need to look long and hard at Angus Brayshaw.

For those that don't know, he's an inside ball magnet that can go forward and have an impact. Yeah, yeah, we have heaps of inside midfielders, but let me explain.

Smith, Hrovat, Prudden and the like are all good prospects, and all are capable of racking up the touches and having an impact. But how many of them can literally dive into a pack and come out with the ball nine times out of ten? Libba is basically the only player with this level of ferocity on our list, Boyd aside. With Libba well and truly accounted for today we had no support inside apart from Boyd. We had a lot of 'floaters' that can win the ball in a contest but can't be relied on to consistently get the ball out of heavily contested situations. Part of this is work rate, but I personally believe we need more coverage inside.

While we're all ready to claim Libba as the greatest thing since sliced bread, he is at the moment a very one-dimensional footballer. This makes it exceptionally hard to break tags as we saw tonight. He needs support for mine, and this is not going to come from an inside-outside part runner, part ball-winner combo.

More seriously, at risk of getting burnt at the stake, if we end up with a pick after the top 3-4 legitimate talls are gone, I think we need to look long and hard at Angus Brayshaw.

For those that don't know, he's an inside ball magnet that can go forward and have an impact. Yeah, yeah, we have heaps of inside midfielders, but let me explain.

Smith, Hrovat, Prudden and the like are all good prospects, and all are capable of racking up the touches and having an impact. But how many of them can literally dive into a pack and come out with the ball nine times out of ten? Libba is basically the only player with this level of ferocity on our list, Boyd aside. With Libba well and truly accounted for today we had no support inside apart from Boyd. We had a lot of 'floaters' that can win the ball in a contest but can't be relied on to consistently get the ball out of heavily contested situations. Part of this is work rate, but I personally believe we need more coverage inside.

While we're all ready to claim Libba as the greatest thing since sliced bread, he is at the moment a very one-dimensional footballer. This makes it exceptionally hard to break tags as we saw tonight. He needs support for mine, and this is not going to come from an inside-outside part runner, part ball-winner combo.
People didn't like us taking an inside mid (Prudden) with a third round pick, this place would meltdown if we spent a top ten pick on one.

We still have major holes in this team, we should just take best available.

honeyjar.jpg

church1.jpg

People didn't like us taking an inside mid (Prudden) with a third round pick, this place would meltdown if we spent a top ten pick on one.

We still have major holes in this team, we should just take best available.
Brayshaw's clear best available after the top three imo, hence my point that it's something we should consider.

Our spine at best has always been delicate. We need that KPF to help Jones and a KPD to take CHB. Also some depth across the back line but the key areas of concern are

- Williams just has to go. He isn't up to standards
- we need that second ruck badly. Manson is starting to wear and it's showing. Every game he gets double/triple teamed in the ruck
- lacking a quality CHB. since Roughie is out for 2-3 months and Moz is having problems We haven't got any readily available and reliable defenders. Wood is hit and miss, Jong and Young are gap fillers at the moment.

Brayshaw's clear best available after the top three imo, hence my point that it's something we should consider.
It's still way too far out to say that. Where was Macrae at this point in time before he was drafted?

I don't know anything about this draft coming up. But I'd put my house on him not being clear 4th best available by the time the draft comes around.

Here's a thought out of left field. Wallis is supposed to be pretty good at that sort of in and under stuff. How about we let him off the leash and let him start playing his natural game like he was 2 years ago. That negating stuff just doesn't seem natural to him.

I think we need help, ALL over the ground
but would start with defense, especially if the best quality KPFs are gone
I'm talking, Pickett or Lever; two truly different players but love to run and carry the ball from defensive 50

Even though it's early I doubt Brayshaw will be available at our pick.

I fear when Murphy retires. He is just a rock down back, defensively and offensively. Can't see JJ being a top 4 side half back. Howard bust, Fuller will be depth at best. I wonder if Hrovat could play back, got a little speed, got the skills, too small maybe. I don't want Higgins being the number 1 half back in our side. It limits us and himself to play elsewhere.

KPF
Quickness
Half Back
3rd Tall backman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back