Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's right. our list is looking bloody good atm and we've got two blokes 20 and under giving headaches in key forward posts right now anyway. there's no need to overpay, we can get someone with a few years in the system that's ready to take on a bigger workload and work with them like we have with everyone else. Jaksch is a great option and it means we can split our tens somewhat by holding our high pick. this wouldn't take anything away from our future midfield and deep list of smalls

This.

I would hate to trade one of the young mids who are building this team together. Stinger, Hrovat, Dahlhaus are some that have been suggested to get a Patton type and I'd be dead against that. Look at that Gold Coast match and how pumped and pleased the young boys were as they realised what they were building together and it becoming their team. Then imagine trading one of those guys away for a guy lablled as the "answer" and how pissed that would make this tight group. It goes against what they've been taught. Jaksch is someone who can be brought in without disrupting that plus is close mates with Macrae and Hrovat so the connection and chemistry is already there to an extent.

Once again I'd love a Patton or Boyd, would be over the moon. But they are just not worth it overall to what the GWS would want. To me Jaksch is a good fit.

From what I've seen of him he could be very valuable to us, I think he could be a decent target up forward. Strong contested marking, reads the ball in air really well and a competitor. To me he could be a Pav type player (not saying as good just style) and I think that fills a need for us. He also can obviously play down back which suits Macca's philosophy of all rounders. Plus I think we could work out a reasonable deal with GWS without having to give away a lot. I don't think we need the answer, just another role player who can take a mark and be another option. A monster Coleman medalist forward would be amazing but I don't think we can't be successful without one.

What would you be willing to trade for Patton?
I said early on I would trade anyone except for the core group of kids (which makes it impossible to do the trade). I would be willing to trade Griffen but because he is the captain, leader of the club etc again it'll never be done. My reasoning isn't because he's not a great player, but I think there are players on the list who are more important to us in 4 years time than him. I also think that when we are going to be strong (next 3-9 years at least), a 21/22yo KPF who hits his prime in that window is what we need.

I've said get Patton because I believed he was the only one of the 3 who was gettable. With news that Cameron might be gettable, I'd go for him over Patton because he's a freak. Realistically though, I think that I'd be happy with any of the 3 they have.

This.

I would hate to trade one of the young mids who are building this team together. Stinger, Hrovat, Dahlhaus are some that have been suggested to get a Patton type and I'd be dead against that. Look at that Gold Coast match and how pumped and pleased the young boys were as they realised what they were building together and it becoming their team. Then imagine trading one of those guys away for a guy lablled as the "answer" and how pissed that would make this tight group. It goes against what they've been taught. Jaksch is someone who can be brought in without disrupting that plus is close mates with Macrae and Hrovat so the connection and chemistry is already there to an extent.

Once again I'd love a Patton or Boyd, would be over the moon. But they are just not worth it overall to what the GWS would want. To me Jaksch is a good fit.

Agreed, and if people think that Jaksch could also play forward as well as back, this is the sort of flexibily that Macca wants. Roberts and Jaksch swapping back and forward if necessary - yes please...

Bottom line is, I don't think we'll beat teams like Gold Coast and gws with our key forwards. Even if we pinch a jaksch type, we're not going to compete with cameron, Patton, day, lynch etc.

We just need someone to be competitive and play a role and give our mids/flankers a chance to win the 2016 flag for us......:)

I really think this idea is a winner. The AFL would be effectively helping us to get Patton over, it would be great.
And it's the only trade that I've seen proposed where both teams are clear winners.

We only lose pick 6 and Higgins for Patton/Boyd and GWS get pick 6, 7 and Higgins. Think both clubs would be happy with that.

The only sticking point would be GWS paying enough to net band 1 (probably 100 -150k per year more than he'd get now) but I think they could fit it in their cap easily and it's a not much if it helps them get a better deal.

The extra money would probably ensure that Higgins is happy to move up there too.

I hope the club is thinking along these lines.
To be honest I think the sticking point would be the fact that the AFL determine free agency compo at their whim with no transparency or visible system.
If they thought two clubs were rorting the system I could see them giving a lower pick to stop it. Otherwise free agency rorting would become the new tanking.

Bottom line is, I don't think we'll beat teams like Gold Coast and gws with our key forwards. Even if we pinch a jaksch type, we're not going to compete with cameron, Patton, day, lynch etc.

We just need someone to be competitive and play a role and give our mids/flankers a chance to win the 2016 flag for us......:)

Maybe but if we control/dominate the midfield, provide quality forward entries, and starve them of foward entries... then maybe we can.

To be honest I think the sticking point would be the fact that the AFL determine free agency compo at their whim with no transparency or visible system.
If they thought two clubs were rorting the system I could see them giving a lower pick to stop it. Otherwise free agency rorting would become the new tanking.

Yeah but they've set a precedent now with other contracts so if Higgins got the same contract at the same age as Dale Thomas last year then they can't really say that it's not worth the same pick that they gave for him. They would probably try to introduce something to stop it happening again but we'd have already won big time. Plus they might feel like helping us and GWS out a little bit since GWS are their love child and we've been screwed a bit by their introduction.

I agree. This rubbish about KJ being the answer is ludicrous. He's a Tommo-like player AND WE DONT NEED ANOTHER HIT UP HALF FORWARD.
Jaksch would be the best man-on-man contested mark on our list in my opinion. He's not just a hit up half forward.

Last edited:
Maybe but if we control/dominate the midfield, provide quality forward entries, and starve them of foward entries... then maybe we can.
Sorry, wasn't saying we can't beat them, just that they'll have better key position talent than us, so we'll have to beat them in the midfield and in other areas.

And dannnnn, agree that jaksch is terrific in the air. Certainly not a lead up guy at all. But I don't think he's a better contested mark than jones. Jones' problem is that if he doesn't mark it, he's not competitive enough on the deck, and he doesn't get the ball to ground often enough (ie too many marks by opposing defender).

Jaksch is still slight, but that can be fixed. Definitely an excellent aerialist and a very nice kick of the footy. Don't see him burning anyone on the lead though.

Sorry, wasn't saying we can't beat them, just that they'll have better key position talent than us, so we'll have to beat them in the midfield and in other areas.

And dannnnn, agree that jaksch is terrific in the air. Certainly not a lead up guy at all. But I don't think he's a better contested mark than jones. Jones' problem is that if he doesn't mark it, he's not competitive enough on the deck, and he doesn't get the ball to ground often enough (ie too many marks by opposing defender).

Jaksch is still slight, but that can be fixed. Definitely an excellent aerialist and a very nice kick of the footy. Don't see him burning anyone on the lead though.
Yeah, I made an edit to clarify. Jones is a fantastic leaper but if his run is blocked he's not a great mark. Jones is a better aerialist but Jaksch is better at those one-on-one contests. He protects the drop of the ball well and reads the ball excellently.

Didn't we beat these guys earlier in the year ???? :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgetting about our needs, is Jaksch better suited to CHF or CHB?
He's a bit like Fletch in that some of his skills are suited to both positions (eg. is clever around goal, but his excellent field kicking is used more effectively down back). He's probably a more natural forward but I see him being able to play both positions long-term.

He's a bit like Fletch in that some of his skills are suited to both positions (eg. is clever around goal, but his excellent field kicking is used more effectively down back). He's probably a more natural forward but I see him being able to play both positions long-term.

I'm liking him more and more.... Get him, a talented speedy kid at Pick #6, draft a longer term KPF prospect with our Higgins compensation pick and we've done well....

Even though I doubt St Kilda would want to do it (although a fair few are keen on the d&t board), would anyone trade our first pick for Jack Steven?

I definatly would. Get him and his pace and our midfield is just about done.

Even though I doubt St Kilda would want to do it (although a fair few are keen on the d&t board), would anyone trade our first pick for Jack Steven?

He's a great player, if we cant get a KPP with the pick, i wouldn't be against it.

I would, but if St. Kilda do that then they're even stupider than I thought.

Thanks. Sounds like he could be a good counter attacking CHB as well.

Why the crap would st kilda trade their best midfielder? Weird.

Starting to feel like grant might be the key to our off-season. I really really like what he gives us, but if stringer, crameri and bonti are going to take the mobile medium forward roles, and Dickson is back in the mix, maybe grant can help us land jaksch without having to give up pie first pick...he definitely complements their tall forwards very very well. I wonder if Leon cameron rates him?

Pick 25 and grant for jaksch? Slight unders for gws, but if the kids leaving, you never know.

Thanks. Sounds like he could be a good counter attacking CHB as well.
Jaksch isn't quick I wouldn't say. Definitely moves well for his size and is very co-ordinated. Wouldn't be surprised if he's up around 198cm. Genuine tall. Needs another 6 or 8kg. Graceful kind of player. Not a powerful kid though. Could definitely see him as a quality chb.

I said early on I would trade anyone except for the core group of kids (which makes it impossible to do the trade). I would be willing to trade Griffen but because he is the captain, leader of the club etc again it'll never be done. My reasoning isn't because he's not a great player, but I think there are players on the list who are more important to us in 4 years time than him. I also think that when we are going to be strong (next 3-9 years at least), a 21/22yo KPF who hits his prime in that window is what we need.

I've said get Patton because I believed he was the only one of the 3 who was gettable. With news that Cameron might be gettable, I'd go for him over Patton because he's a freak. Realistically though, I think that I'd be happy with any of the 3 they have.
And how would you explain to these young players that they need to sacrifice and stay loyal to the club after you've just traded away a superstar who has continually knocked back massive offers to stay loyal?
Real life is not supercoach.

Why the crap would st kilda trade their best midfielder? Weird.

Starting to feel like grant might be the key to our off-season. I really really like what he gives us, but if stringer, crameri and bonti are going to take the mobile medium forward roles, and Dickson is back in the mix, maybe grant can help us land jaksch without having to give up pie first pick...he definitely complements their tall forwards very very well. I wonder if Leon cameron rates him?

Pick 25 and grant for jaksch? Slight unders for gws, but if the kids leaving, you never know.
We wouldn't trade Jack Steven. If we did it would have to be very good overs that we just couldn't reject. Extremely unlikely he is going anywhere.

We wouldn't trade Jack Steven. If we did it would have to be very good overs that we just couldn't reject. Extremely unlikely he is going anywhere.

Agreed, doesn't make much sense... You'd make GWS look like a successful startup if you went down that path.... One injury to either Montagna or NRoo and you'd be in all sorts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back