Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jong is a certainty to be up graded to senior list, he has improved so much, and throughly deserves it. I won't comment anymore, let's just see.
Jong has gone from a raw prospect to a line breaker/tagging midfielder in the vfl
looking forward to seeing his career play out in the seniors, reckon him and wallis could become key taggers.

Jong is a certainty to be up graded to senior list, he has improved so much, and throughly deserves it. I won't comment anymore, let's just see.
Agree he's earned another year. My post was just asking where the list spots are going to come from.

For mine in this trade period, Grant is the domino that falls. At the end of last year he regained his 3rd tall forward position because Stringer was out injured and his form showed that he is certainly a good enough player to play at AFL level. However its fair to argue that the tall/medium forwards spots have been taken by all of Crameri, Stringer and Bonts (when he plays forward) and Grant is going to struggle to get his spot back before the end of the year. For mine personally our best forward line up is 2 out of Jones/Redpath/Campbell and 3 of Stringer/Crameri/Bonts/Grant and both Stringer and Bonts can float to different positions and that is what gives us far greater flexibility than last seasons gone by. If Grant agrees to it I would certainly entertain trading him along with our 2nd round pick hopefully back into the last couple of picks of the first round or get another 2nd round pick in at least the top 30. As you said before you can really throw a blanket over the 10 -25/30 pick in this draft and wouldnt it be great if we could potentially have 4 top 30 picks or some of those picks used as trade bait. Personally I would love to see us target a Bellchambers type who is out of favour at the bombers at the moment to play with Campbell as our ruck duo for seasons to come or another experianced tall or rebounding defender.
Grant stays. He's important moving forward. Think of him as Jack Gunston.

imagine if we get some forward talent in the draft at the end of the year?

going to make it harder again when deciding which players should come in, can only be a good thing though
Yeah true, then at least we will have a few proper talls to put pressure on each other though.

Really don't think we can move Stringer around now that hes been playing some consistent footy in the forward line and he should be spending 90% of his game time in the forward line particularly as he has shown to be such a good finisher around goal. Thats not to say in 2 - 3 years time he can't play a 50/50 forward mid split but currently we need to give him a regular role in our forward line and for mine he has passed grant as that tall who can play small in the forward line. In regards to Campbell if hypothetically Minson still has at least another 2 good years as our first choice ruckman do we continue to play Campbell in the 2's. We just have to get him into the 1's at some stage and play 2 rucks which I think would be the best idea even this weekend taking on Mcevoy and Hale. If McEvoy and Hale both in the ruck and around the ground get a hold of Minno/our 2nd ruck we might as well pack up and go home this weekend.

I would so much prefer Grant wanted a trade because lack of game time rather than Campbell who without question will take a lot of interest from several clubs. It would be an absolute disaster if Campbell wanted out!

Can't disagree with any of that, its a really tough one with Campbell and I'm not sure how its going to pan out, I'm just glad as hell we've locked him away for 3? years. I'm sure the guys in charge have it worked out though because they can't just expect Campbell to play twos until Minno hangs em up.

Maybe this year was purely for Campbell to work on his ruck craft and most importantly build up his tank and mobility by roaming around the whole ground (because its obviously always been a big weakness when he's played AFL), then next year we will go to a 2 ruck set up with Minno and Campbell. Would also explain why we've been using this year to mostly develop the 2nd/3rd talls and smalls in the forward line rather than going tall, because we expect to slot Campbell in next year. Just a guess but who knows :drunk:

Quite simply the main trade value/draft value that these two provide would most certainly be that we don't have to go tall with our first pick particularly if all of Durdin/McCartin/Wright are gone by our first pick which is very likely to happen. That way we can take Laverde with our first and then go tall with two of our end of first/second round picks we could get with Grant and Higgins.
How good would something like this be (going by the bigfooty mock draft we could get all of)

Pick 6: Laverde
End of first round compo (21) pick: Duggan
2nd round: Mckenzie
Grant trade + 3rd round pick for late 20's pick: Keitel

Laverde, Duggan, McKenzie, Keitel would be an amazing draft result if we keep our trade picks.
To be honest I'm not particularly concerned if that means we forfeit our Cordy father son pick. We have to worry about whats the best outcome for the balance of our list and I think that Laverde and Duggan could be used both at half back and midfield, Mckenzie at full forward and Keitel as swingman forward and back.

You can bet that at least one of Keitel/McKenzie will be a quality tall forward.

We're putting a lot of faith in these kids drafted after 20. Just remember that history is against them making it.

I've got a heavy interest in horse racing and 2&3yo's racing against each other can look a lot better than they are if they are an early maturer. The trick is to find the immature 3yo who can then progress to open company - and it's a big step up. I've seen a lot of underage players dominate and not make it because what made them good at a junior level didn't transfer to playing against men. Guys who are physically mature who don't dominate under age footy I can live without - give me the less mature player who has talent and is waiting to grow into his body - Bonts is a perfect example.

I just think Grant is so unique that he can fit in anyway, even with Crameri, Stringer and Bonts spending time there. He's a genuine crumbing forward but also tall, extremely fast and has great hands, such a unique set of attributes. As long as his effort is 100% week in he can fit in, I just cant see him getting back in at the moment because he never plays well in the VFL for whatever reason and were playing some good footy, so could see him being traded but I'd prefer to keep him I think.
Because he's a classic example of someone who needs other talented players around him who understand where to run to receive his freakish passes. Less talented players in the 2s just do the mundane and that doesn't suit him.

I would like to see him back too but quite simply I think we still go in with too few tall options if we we went hypothetically with Jones, Stringer, Crameri and Grant as our taller forwards (although wouldn't be against such a setup). Think one of Campbell or Redpath has to be in too and for mine I want a second ruck to help Minson and I would prefer that to be Campbell. Out of anyone Campbell deserves a seniors shot more than anyone in the 2's.
Grant is 6'4", he's not small. As doggies ftw said, he's got a unique skill set, you don't give that away at age 24.

imagine if we get some forward talent in the draft at the end of the year?

going to make it harder again when deciding which players should come in, can only be a good thing though
It's a good problem to have, but if you have a talent laden team that can get its own ball, look out.

Because he's a classic example of someone who needs other talented players around him who understand where to run to receive his freakish passes. Less talented players in the 2s just do the mundane and that doesn't suit him.
really agree with that, think he looks better with better team-mates around
think that is why he struggles in the 2s and can have a solid/good game at AFL

brings other team-mates into the game as well, flies under the radar

Yeah true, then at least we will have a few proper talls to put pressure on each other though.

Can't disagree with any of that, its a really tough one with Campbell and I'm not sure how its going to pan out, I'm just glad as hell we've locked him away for 3? years. I'm sure the guys in charge have it worked out though because they can't just expect Campbell to play twos until Minno hangs em up.

Maybe this year was purely for Campbell to work on his ruck craft and most importantly build up his tank and mobility by roaming around the whole ground (because its obviously always been a big weakness when he's played AFL), then next year we will go to a 2 ruck set up with Minno and Campbell. Would also explain why we've been using this year to mostly develop the 2nd/3rd talls and smalls in the forward line rather than going tall, because we expect to slot Campbell in next year. Just a guess but who knows :drunk:
What's the rush with Campbell? He's 21/22, he's got 12 years to worry about his game. He'll be ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say he was small hes 192cm, but he plays moreso as a small forward than a tall.
Ahh, he's not a power forward, I agree, but he can play the Gunston mid tall, he just needs some continuity. He's got tricks that in a good team will be so much more productive. As I've said ad nauseam here, in a good side, he's the cream on the cake, but he's not the cake.

Knightmare I think was saying he hopes Collingwood chase Tommy C so it can allow Grundy some time to develop :eek:
Grundy and Campbell set up, both great at the bounces, but also great on the ground and can both rest forward and be a handful. Now thats a combo that could work in our team.

Hudson/Lynch probably won't be there much longer

I like Witts though

White isn't anything special as a ruckman, I think he sucks around the ground to
They have no star ruckmen and Collingwood isn't a place that treads water. If they go for a ruckman, they'll go after a Leuenberger or someone like that. A much better ruck.

They have no star ruckmen and Collingwood isn't a place that treads water. If they go for a ruckman, they'll go after a Leuenberger or someone like that. A much better ruck.
If Collingwood was really pushing their salary cap they wouldn't

and it isn't an immediate need, but I expect if Campbell wasn't getting games next season
other clubs would definitely be sniffing around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back