Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havent we drafted enough players over the last few years that couldnt play? Have we not learnt from

- Stack
- Skinner
- Barlow
- Djerkurra
- Vrez
- Sherman
- Moles
- Mulligan
- Markovic
- Young
- Hooper
- Lower
- Howard
- Goodes

I have nothing against these guys, they tried but couldnt make the grade. There is no shame in that and thats why the ones out there are being paid well to play.

But...

Lets not keep going around the garden path of getting players who are never going to make it.. Especially discards from other clubs if they're no good.

Don't Expect Jono O'Rourke to be at the Club next year

I repeat does the Cassboult highlight reel cut out when he drops the ball onto his foot?
The guy CAN' T KICK!!'

Yes we all understand kicking is his weakness right now, it has been covered many times and even someone who has only watched 1 of Casboult's games could probably tell you that. I'm simply trying to see the benefits of adding him to our team instead of just writing he can't kick in all caps. If he was perfect he wouldn't be obtainable...

Sorry, who's the young bloke that doesn't get along with Boyd?

I think he meant plural as in a fair few of them. While I am not a great fan, I'm okay with keeping Boyd for his experience and hard body as much as anything, but if he can't relate to the younger group then maybe its time. Reckon if Clay Smith had of stayed fit, Boyd would be definitely gone.

I think Hoskin-Elliot would be a great get. Bonty like with pace, skill, and good over head. Wanted to come to us before drafted and is from Sunshine. Would be a hard matchup with him and Bonty in the middle swapping forward.

He's contracted until the end of 2015.

He's been high on my list of 'wants' for quite some time. With the rate of improvement that he has shown this year, assuming he wants to leave, he is going to cost any club willing to trade a considerable amount. We needed to get him before he signed his contract extension if we wanted him relatively cheap.

Don't Expect Jono O'Rourke to be at the Club next year
Fine by me, I don't rate him too highly personally and there are plenty of other targets in areas of need for us. If he wasn't such a high pick I doubt we would be talking anywhere nearly as much about him. Anyone have any firm Jaksch rumours yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously not all of the rumoured trades / de-listings will come to fruition, but we wouldn't want to lose Boyd / Gia / Cooney / Minson / Higgins / Goodes in one off-season. I'm confident the coaching staff are well aware of the risks in clearing out too many of the older guys at one time and won't do it, but need some of these guys around still.

Last edited:
Obviously not all of the rumoured trades / de-listings will come to fruition, but we wouldn't want to lose Boyd / Gia / Cooney / Minson / Higgins / Goodes in one off-season. I'm confident the coaching staff are well aware of the risks in clearing out too many of the older guys at one time and won't do it, but need some of these guys around still.

Understand your point, but how much did the guys listed above actually add to the side during the past 12 months.... Some did bits, some did a little, some did next to nothing....

it actually makes me laugh to think of them two in a forward line.. i think a tv show could be made out of it.

This week on "Casboult & Jones", special guests are Brynne Edelsten ("It's so confusing, which one is Liam and which one is Levi??"), and ex-Bulldog Lindsay Gilbee ("You want me to teach Casboult to kick??!! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha...").
In the episode, the Boss (Brendan Macartney) assigns them to a special case ("Boys, this week, we need to find out how to kick a winning score against Sydney, and I'm putting you two on the case"). They struggle to find any clues, and are caught unawares when fellow forwards Stringer and Crameri kick 5 goals each. Demoted to the reserves, will our heroes ever kick a winning score? Tune in for next week's episode: "Trading Places"...

I have a player for us guys.

Younger than Casboult
More experienced than Casboult
A better record than Casboult
Just as good in the air as Casboult.
A much much better goal kicker than Casboult
Cost half what Casboult costs and we don't have to give up a second rounder to get him.

Any interest???
Yet he is also horribly inconsistent and also a completely different type of player. Casboult is the type to stand under the high ball and take a pack mark, I reckon you could genuinely count on one hand the amount of times Jones has done this inside 50. He's really not that great a mark, he just has a ridiculous leap. Put him in a wrestle and he struggles, and I'm probably Jones' biggest fan on this board but I don't exactly want to be relying on him coming good anymore.

I wouldn't be happy with 500k per year (although I wouldn't be that pissed off tbh) in a front loaded deal, and providing we don't give up much where it really matters (the trade table) then why not. He would straighten us right up, give us a legitimate marking target forward, bad kick but no reason he can't improve to an acceptable level and I reckon would genuinely help Jones a huge amount. Jones needs a Casboult type next to him to function properly, I have no doubt in that whatsoever. Cramers and Stringer then get the 3rd/4th talls and the forward line still would be more than mobile enough to function.

For the right price I'm keen.

Agree in principal. But if you isolate each deal for what they are, we must look at it. Can't just sit back and assume our list is awesome and we still need a glut of old blokes that are fond of themselves.

If the right pick came up that will get us our next flag from 2016+ Then I'd be comfortable losing
Minson, Coons, Boyd. We'd still have Griffen, Morris and Murphy who are fantastic leaders for 2015.

Goodes is still contacted so I don't mind if he stays for depth (people forget how good he was before injury).

Different drafts WHE is 2 years older. Bit unfair on WHE though like saying someone is not as good as Ablett, like thats a derogatory statement
I was assuming that the since you said pick 5 that you were referring to the pick we used for bontempelli. WHE was taken at pick 4 so even if we had a pick 5 that year we wouldn't have gotten him.

Jaksch, Frawley & Casboult as KPP options, anyone else? (unlikely with Frawley; think he'd cost just too damn much for what he produces)

If we lose Minson for another crack in the first round as an example, who do we target for ruck options? Bellchambers? Sinclair (WCE)?

Because GWS has 11 of the top 13 picks, in any other time in history we have pick 6 and anything could have happened with picks. That's why.
So many of those kids from the 2011 draft have only really broken out this year, Smith was right up the top end on exposed form and looked ready to explode before his knee. Wouldn't be writing him off yet (not saying you are, just a lot of people seem to be forgetting about him, even before the 2nd knee) Still reckon he will be an absolute machine. Although the knees do hurt a bit...

Jaksch, Frawley & Casboult as KPP options, anyone else? (unlikely with Frawley; think he'd cost just too damn much for what he produces)

If we lose Minson for another crack in the first round as an example, who do we target for ruck options? Bellchambers? Sinclair (WCE)?

Giles? Personally hope we keep Minson, I know he has concrete hands but I don't know, I like him. What's more I doubt we'd get much for him in relation to what we'd be losing.

I reckon let Campbell and Cordy take on the responsibility, rookie a mature ruck (you can find them pretty much anywhere these days) just for back up, and probably even draft an 18year old longer term project type ruck and let him develop, if we let Minno go for the right option (which would be ******* sad :( but in the best interests of the club IMO)

Giles? Personally hope we keep Minson, I know he has concrete hands but I don't know, I like him. What's more I doubt we'd get much for him in relation to what we'd be losing.
yeah just throwing it out there, not saying we will
Giles, I totally forgot about
would be a good get if something like that was to happen
I reckon let Campbell and Cordy take on the responsibility, rookie a mature ruck (you can find them pretty much anywhere these days) just for back up, and probably even draft an 18year old longer term project type ruck and let him develop, if we let Minno go for the right option (which would be ******* sad :( but in the best interests of the club IMO)
Campbell unfortunately can barely yet play out a full quarter and no comment re: Cordy, I just believe it is something that could possibly serve us well in the long run (like I said, just thinking ahead ;) on the 'what if' scenarios)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back