Status
Not open for further replies.

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So many of those kids from the 2011 draft have only really broken out this year, Smith was right up the top end on exposed form and looked ready to explode before his knee. Wouldn't be writing him off yet (not saying you are, just a lot of people seem to be forgetting about him, even before the 2nd knee) Still reckon he will be an absolute machine. Although the knees do hurt a bit...
I'm not denigrating Clay. Clay is a combative, dedicated player. But WHE is on a whole different level.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
How much do we really lose if we tell Boyd to hang them up? Personally, I think he's now holding some of our kids back. Brilliant warrior for the club, but the time has come.

Wonder if Howe is on the table? Apparently everyone is down there.
You want to give up our first pick for Howe? Because that's what they'll want.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rhys Stanley and max gawn are also on the list. Let's get them too. Sweet.

Other than Cameron, Boyd, etc who would you get Fronk? I agree Reid isn't the answer. Yep the list is just one aspect, I guess I put it there to partly show that there are other contested marking 'animals' than Casboult who may be available.

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
How much do we really lose if we tell Boyd to hang them up? Personally, I think he's now holding some of our kids back. Brilliant warrior for the club, but the time has come.

On field probably don't lose anything. But he seems like a hard ass that will expect a lot from the young guys and wont take any suit from them. Could be a good thing to keep them in check.

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
Strings, Rat, Dahl to name a few. Boyd's not a favourite around the locker rooms but doesn't mean he'll be delisted. I reckon one more.
Fascinating. I wonder why that is? Is he just too tough on them? Or expects stuff of them that perhaps he doesn't himself do?
Beware science. If we were to rely on that from last year, Jones was 10th overall and 8th in contested marks per game (on 1.8). Considering we signed Crameri and he was a year older, did anyone expect him to go backwards? Apart from a few of the best on that list, I wouldn't be too confident that merely signing one would guarantee a great mark of the ball, or would even free up another of our forwards to take more.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fascinating. I wonder why that is? Is he just too tough on them? Or expects stuff of them that perhaps he doesn't himself do?

Beware science. If we were to rely on that from last year, Jones was 10th overall and 8th in contested marks per game (on 1.8). Considering we signed Crameri and he was a year older, did anyone expect him to go backwards? Apart from a few of the best on that list, I wouldn't be too confident that merely signing one would guarantee a great mark of the ball, or would even free up another of our forwards to take more.

You just summed up the argument against Casboult nicely.

I just reckon Griffiths has the tools to be what we need, without costing us a farm (assuming we can't get a gun).

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I just reckon Griffiths has the tools to be what we need, without costing us a farm (assuming we can't get a gun).

I don't think we want a gun at this stage

I think 2/3 decent KPS will serve us better than 1 gun right now.

We need depth at KP more than just filling 1 spot

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory

Note Casboult's drop off has not been so extreme. He went from 2nd in contested marks per game to 10th. Not to say he's an answer to our prayers, but I don't think my comment was the nail in the coffin. A highlight reel of Casboult clangers should suffice for that.

Dav1d

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

damn it

I do hope we keep Jones, even if we do get a few KPPs; would be good to have some decent KPP depth for a change

Jaksch, Frawley & Casboult as KPP options, anyone else? (unlikely with Frawley; think he'd cost just too damn much for what he produces)

If we lose Minson for another crack in the first round as an example, who do we target for ruck options? Bellchambers? Sinclair (WCE)?
Bellchambers plays well as a KPF, we could definitely bring him in to play as a KPF and he'd be our best option, he's a very good player. Essendon would want a top 10 pick though, same to Ryder if the rumours are true that he wants to go.

Other than Cameron, Boyd, etc who would you get Fronk? I agree Reid isn't the answer. Yep the list is just one aspect, I guess I put it there to partly show that there are other contested marking 'animals' than Casboult who may be available.
No no, the list is cool man. Highlights a little that contested marking isn't as important as some think IMO.

I'm not sure jaksch is the answer either. Nice young talent and we can improve him, but I don't know he's ever going to be a dominant AFL player.

I like griffiths of the role players available this year, but I'd be holding fire this off-season and loading up in 2015 on cameron, Boyd, Tomlinson and Carlisle.

In the meantime id play roughie and jones forward next season with stringer and crameri as 3rd and 4th talls.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One potential benefit of moving roughie forward, is that it makes trading wilbur just that little more palatable. If roughie plays forward/ruck, we're not relying on cordy to play plenty of footy.

Trading Will would guarantee us losing less games next year than this year or at best another treading water year.

Do you think fans will accept this again mate??

Obviously I won't but I don't think many others will like it either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back