List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the WA/SA boys are often a lot more underrated, and thus will go lower in the draft due to teams knowing they're underrated and knowing they're likely to slide a little more. Josh Deluca-Cardillo will definitely feature in my phantom draft though, love the look of him, reminds me a bit of a (shorter) Troy Menzel type.

i agree and i guess in terms of mock drafts and the media, i dont blame anyone. its just a symptom of the majority of the media being in victoria/the people who the mock drafts being in victoria. they get very limited exposure to talent outside of their state

chris has some interesting mock drafts that feature more SA talent that sometimes doesnt feature in other mock drafts. sometimes higher than other well known players

it'd be nice if we have more people from other states like chris and 12chill providing the analysis knightmare, paige, rahul, twoomey, anderson etc provide. first step might be the AFL putting more indepth player highlights from the games around the states, not just the state championships

i agree and i guess in terms of mock drafts and the media, i dont blame anyone. its just a symptom of the majority of the media being in victoria/the people who the mock drafts being in victoria. they get very limited exposure to talent outside of their state

chris has some interesting mock drafts that feature more SA talent that sometimes doesnt feature in other mock drafts. sometimes higher than other well known players

it'd be nice if we have more people from other states like chris and 12chill providing the analysis knightmare, paige, rahul, twoomey, anderson etc provide. first step might be the AFL putting more indepth player highlights from the games around the states, not just the state championships

I'm actually from Victoria, that may disappoint you! But I think I pay a lot more attention to WA/SA football compared to most of the other Victorians doing Mock Drafts :) Also have an Uncle who lives in WA though.

I'm actually from Victoria, that may disappoint you! But I think I pay a lot more attention to WA/SA football compared to most of the other Victorians doing Mock Drafts :) Also have an Uncle who lives in WA though.

wow, i thought you were from SA going by your attention to the SANFL. wow

and just on time, a really good article on three subi boys. featuring not only deluca who i keep banging on about but also george hampson who i have been talking up for 3 years now. i still cant believe he hasnt been given a chance. if he can beat eagles listed players and kick two match winning goals with a grade 1 hamstring pulled at half time and a torn quad then you have to sit back and wonder what he'd do when fit:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl.../story-e6frf3e3-1227109327853?from=public_rss

CLASSY midfielder Josh Deluca all but sealed an AFL career with a scintillating WAFL Grand Final as Subiaco pulled off an upset win over hot favourites East Perth this year.

If the clever left-footer hadn’t already been looming large, he was after 20 possessions and a goal in a near flawless display of clean disposal in wet and slippery conditions.

“He’d be a good draft choice. It depends what recruiters are looking for tough, but he’s of good character and he’s got genuine speed and good agility.

“He’s an all-round package and he demonstrated that in the AFL testing.

“He’s hard at the football and he’s an aggressive type but like all players they can have something they need to keep working on and in Josh’s case it’s his kicking that needs some work.”

Schofield anticipates Deluca to be taken somewhere into the second or third round of selections to be conducted on the Gold Coast on November 27.

“I more think he could be a later choice,” he said.

“His Grand Final with us in only his third ever WAFL final against the AFL alignment side, definitely shows that he can match it with the best.”

Schofield says he has other draft hopefuls on his books.

AFL scouts have made inquiries on Deluca’s older brother Chris as well and rangy mature-age goal opportunist forward Shane Yarran.

“Chris is a similar type of player to josh, but probably more explosive and more powerful and he’s had a really consistent year and Shane Yarran has had a really consistent year,” Schofield said.

Colts and WA under-18s Adam Creeper is also understood to have highly impressed talent scouts on the hunt for versatile big men.

Hard nut half-forward George Hampson is another borderline Lions draft chance after his 37 goals from 19 senior games.

Hampson, 24, won recognition from scouts with a courageous Grand Final outing when he suffered recurrence of a hamstring injury after booting a lively early goal and returned to boot another two majors as one of the Lions best in a 16-point win.

“The recruiters bring up his name and there’s a bit of “X” factor about him and he can kick goals, he’s proven he can play back and half-forward, but he probably needs to get physically stronger to go to the next level,” Schofield said.

“Adam Creeper is an exciting type and with our colts played in the ruck but then with the state 18s he played centre-half-back.

“He’s got good speed and vertical jump with a good head on his shoulders as a kid who is continuing to learn the game.”

just on petrenko couple of things to keep in mind:
1) he had his best season in 2012 until he got that shoulder injury in the final against adelaide
2) he probably struggled to get game time this year with betts now playing for adelaide

heres some highlights. looks like he loves to attack the opponent hard and is the perfect fit for what richo wants from a defencive fwd. remember currens role this year. membrey taking simpkins role there too

Last edited:
The thought of Petrenko makes me puke. TDL all over again.
Not only are we not giving up anything for him, but as others have said it's just a rookie spot. And we'll have 24 young players on the senior list already (the 19 future fest kids, Weller, and 4 draftees).

If we rookie Petrenko bear in mind he can only get a game if we have someone injured enough to miss the first 5 or 11 weeks. He's not going to start week 1 (unless there's lots of injuries) and he's not even plan B (the backup on the senior list would presumably be Saunders), he's the emergency plan. And in that context you know what you'll get from him, rather than blooding some random 20yr old state kid. Seems fair to me.

Not only are we not giving up anything for him, but as others have said it's just a rookie spot. And we'll have 24 young players on the senior list already (the 19 future fest kids, Weller, and 4 draftees).

If we rookie Petrenko bear in mind he can only get a game if we have someone injured enough to miss the first 5 or 11 weeks. He's not going to start week 1 (unless there's lots of injuries) and he's not even plan B (the backup on the senior list would presumably be Saunders), he's the emergency plan. And in that context you know what you'll get from him, rather than blooding some random 20yr old state kid. Seems fair to me.
Knowing what you'll get is exactly why I'm not interested. I don't mind mature depth if we're contending but the time for those types has passed. Would prefer to find a 19/20 year old or some state league key defender depth, I'm just not a big fan of playing it safe with guys who have already shown they're not good enough.

Anyone else think it's stupid we go back to training on Wednesday but our national draft and then after that rookie draft kids don't get to have a full preseason, seems backwards, they should make the first month of training optional like they do in the NFL and then once all the drafts are done then training becomes mandatory.

Anyone else think it's stupid we go back to training on Wednesday but our national draft and then after that rookie draft kids don't get to have a full preseason, seems backwards, they should make the first month of training optional like they do in the NFL and then once all the drafts are done then training becomes mandatory.
By that logic none of our players would have a full preseason then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think in Australia... The word optional training to me has a stink.. The same as staying back late at work to finish an email....

Agree that its stupid as well, but rather than optional beginning training, which in reality would never work, why aren't all drafts completed BEFORE official trainings begin. Does seem ridiculous that we have these a month or more after clubs have started training.

Agree that its stupid as well, but rather than optional beginning training, which in reality would never work, why aren't all drafts completed BEFORE official trainings begin. Does seem ridiculous that we have these a month or more after clubs have started training.

The Drafts are in late November so that the kids have finished their school exams.

Does anyone know how much time Petrenko spent as a designated forward? His highlights look great up forward but his 50 goals in 75 games doesn't cut it as a small forward. He's listed as a mid/back but no highlights.....

Couldn't agree more. Friggin AFL draft should be happening this week. Waiting another month is overkill. Let next month be the international rules

Could we pinch Cam Delaney out from under Norf in the PSD?

Couldn't agree more. Friggin AFL draft should be happening this week. Waiting another month is overkill. Let next month be the international rules
Totally disagree. Let the kids get their exams out of the way first. You can't have the situation where the vast majority of kids miss out on getting drafted & then have to refocus on exams.
Even for those drafted, its a big ask for them to go back to study (especially when many of them may be moving interstate).

I don't see the big deal that a handful of kids miss the 1st month of preseason training. They're generally on modified programs anyway

Could we pinch Cam Delaney out from under North in the PSD?

Would mean delisting someone else or giving up the use of pick 41 in the draft.

Can all clubs upgrade a rookie straight away at the start of the year?
Only if they have smaller primary lists e.g. 39 primary 5 rookie, 38 primary 6 rookie
Or in GCS case because they don't have a nominated veteran on the veterans list they can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back