Mega Thread Trade/Draft SuperMegaUltraThread - 2015 trade period edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Seem as though I've done that with most of the draftees this year.
Suppose I now a family man and have no life.

In all seriousness though, you're right in the fact that I have polarised opinions, probably stronger this year than any year before.
I think the issue is that Royal Eagle and others have presumably seen these kids play live on multiple occasions know what they're capable of.

Snadden also doesn't have an AFL 'highlights' video like the TAC Cup boys tend to, so we are probably biased against him based on just the u/18 carnival footage.

If Cole only had his Skippos video footage for instance, we would be doubting that pick a lot more as well.

Full of s**t is an overreaction but evaluating our rookie draft on two short videos is also a bit hasty.

EDIT - OK, didn't realise Snadden actually has an AFL.com highlights video with EF stuff too

Last edited:
I think the issue is that Royal Eagle and others have presumably seen these kids play live on multiple occasions know what they're capable of.

Snadden also doesn't have an AFL 'highlights' video like the TAC Cup boys tend to, so we are probably biased against him based on just the u/18 carnival footage.

If Cole only had his Skippos video footage for instance, we would be doubting that pick a lot more as well.

Full of s**t is an overreaction but evaluating our rookie draft on two short videos is also a bit hasty.
Yeah I know RE knows his s**t and I can see where he was coming from...Just an over reaction for mine.
(FWIW - I don't like Cole that much from the available vids either)

Last year I was on the opposite side and really wanted Duggan.
Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

hjcntutphcspedtzpzdw.jpg

Ardent Im not attacking you personally, just saying anyone making sweeping comments on players from short edited videos,
is talking from a uneducated position, and is speaking crap. If you has seen videos of Nat Fyfe as a junior you wouldn't of been impressed
his under 18 carnival was poor.

As for Snadden all year i have been watching him, since he trained with club in the preseason and impressed.
First thing you notice about him is his movement through traffic, not many players at all have that.
He is smooth and very quick silk like.
Then the next thing is his burst from stoppages he is powerful particularly around half forward, have seen him hit the
ball at speed and break open a pack many times with a handball or kick.
He's a good left handed handball from stoppages.
He always seem's better on the inside than the outside, on the outside his decision making can be suspect if he has too much
time, on the inside seems much more natural, and has a little mongrel in him at times attacking the footy.
Has good composure under pressure.
He's very versatile so was thrown all over the field from half back half forward, wing and inside centre.
His best footy is played inside centre and half forward, is good overhead.
He was injury prone this year mainly from growing into his size, which effected his production.
Hopefully he grows no more, and can put some more weight on
Needs to work on his endurance kicking fell away when tired.
His kicking is generally very good, great set shot on goal good kicking action powerful left foot, likes to kick around corners.
Sometimes tries to kick the footy to hard, his general disposal efficiency is very high
Like most of the wa academy team this year was coached poorly and not played in his preferred position
(our coaching was awful this year)
His east freo games give better idea of the player he was.

Going by his video on WCE site he see's himself as a inside mid which is good as he seems most natural there.
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-11-27/snadden-joins-the-nest

[QUOTE Hopefully he grows no more, and can put some more weight on
His kicking is generally very good, great set shot on goal good kicking action powerful left foot, likes to kick around corners.
Sometimes tries to kick the footy to hard, his general disposal efficiency is very high
Like most of the wa academy team this year was coached poorly and not played in his preferred position

Going by his video on WCE site he see's himself as a inside mid which is good as he seems most natural there.
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-11-27/snadden-joins-the-nest[/QUOTE]

Hope he grows 2-4 cms, That puts him in fyfe, cripps and bont territory.

After watching the 43 seconds of pre-season training footage, I've come to the conclusion that we won't make the 8.
I've had enough of your pessimism

Ignore list

On another subject, I wish that we had drafted Glass-McCasker in the ND instead of having an extra rookie, don't see the real benefit of it. Despite his reported poor kicking, could still be a quality KPD, worth a gamble. It would've been nice to have an extra young tall developing in the WAFL given that the age of Emac and Brown in particular.

On another subject, I wish that we had drafted Glass-McCasker in the ND instead of having an extra rookie, don't see the real benefit of it. Despite his reported poor kicking, could still be a quality KPD, worth a gamble. It would've been nice to have an extra young tall developing in the WAFL given that the age of Emac and Brown in particular.
Maybe we didn't rate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm staggered people can form such strong views from 3 minutes of footage, consisting of 5 kicks, 2 marks and a handball.
Are you stating colleges meaningful stats last season?

For anyone out there in love with college, I kid i kid.....

WCE got excellent value in the national draft with Partington and Cole. I rated them 13th and 18th respectively in this draft class which in the late 20s and 30s is highly impressive.

Partington can play as a mid (outside or inside) and can also play forward. Highly productive, excellent pace/endurance athlete, uses the footy well and can provide scoreboard impact. Has played good footy in SA and through the u18 championships so he is a very solid selection.

Cole is a very versatile type. Can play through the midfield (outside/inside) and on a flank at either end. Also highly productive. Endurance and work rate good and will willingly take on the game and do his best to do damage with ball in hand even if his disposal efficiency at times can suffer as a result.

What is the difference between adding players on the main list or via rookies? Is it just rookies can be de-listed after 1 year?
Having the extra main list spot available lets us upgrade someone if we want to without having to rely on a LTI, I think that's the real reason we're going in 1 short on the main list. Obvious candidate to upgrade is Adamson, I think he'll get a couple of senior games next year. If we'd upgraded Adamson to the main list in the national draft then we'd effectively have had 1 less player on our squad (40 main, 4 rookie, 1 cat B rookie) where as now we've got 39 main, 5 rookie, 2 cat b rookies.

Ardent Im not attacking you personally, just saying anyone making sweeping comments on players from short edited videos,
is talking from a uneducated position, and is speaking crap. If you has seen videos of Nat Fyfe as a junior you wouldn't of been impressed
his under 18 carnival was poor.

As for Snadden all year i have been watching him, since he trained with club in the preseason and impressed.
First thing you notice about him is his movement through traffic, not many players at all have that.
He is smooth and very quick silk like.
Then the next thing is his burst from stoppages he is powerful particularly around half forward, have seen him hit the
ball at speed and break open a pack many times with a handball or kick.
He's a good left handed handball from stoppages.
He always seem's better on the inside than the outside, on the outside his decision making can be suspect if he has too much
time, on the inside seems much more natural, and has a little mongrel in him at times attacking the footy.
Has good composure under pressure.
He's very versatile so was thrown all over the field from half back half forward, wing and inside centre.
His best footy is played inside centre and half forward, is good overhead.
He was injury prone this year mainly from growing into his size, which effected his production.
Hopefully he grows no more, and can put some more weight on

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-11-27/snadden-joins-the-nest
Thank you for the detailed info on him...I'll be watching with a keen interest.
He sounds like he could be anything, the ceiling sounds almost limitless...I am now very excited by the prospect of what we could potentially have on our hands.

As for watching available videos and coming to judgement (which is not always to most informed with given data available)
It's something I enjoy doing and won't stop...I like to go back over my comments as years go by and see who I got right and who I got wrong.
I suppose this stems of my time pre-family where I spent a fair few years with a mate (who works for an AFL club) as a talent scout, often there with them viewing and commenting on players, albeit for a far more informed position. (always enjoyable when they got drafted)
I like to think I have a pretty good eye I suppose.

- Anyone that cries with joy after being drafted to our might club is already a Champion in my eyes. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Pr
Having the extra main list spot available lets us upgrade someone if we want to without having to rely on a LTI, I think that's the real reason we're going in 1 short on the main list. Obvious candidate to upgrade is Adamson, I think he'll get a couple of senior games next year. If we'd upgraded Adamson to the main list in the national draft then we'd effectively have had 1 less player on our squad (40 main, 4 rookie, 1 cat B rookie) where as now we've got 39 main, 5 rookie, 2 cat b rookies.
problem with adamson is as a cat B rookie his salary is outside cap until he plays a senior game . If they were looking to upgrade him they would have had to make allowances for that .

Snadden has a nice kicking technique/penetration/kicking style but can be off for accuracy by the looks. The attributes are definitely there so hopefully he avoids doing a Tunbridge and failing to put it all together.

Snadden has a nice kicking technique/penetration/kicking style but can be off for accuracy by the looks. The attributes are definitely there so hopefully he avoids doing a Tunbridge and failing to put it all together.

Looks a very smooth mover though with pace.

Most our players were terrible kicks a few years back under Woosha, now we're one of the best kicking teams in the league.

Expecting Snadden to improve under Simmo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back