Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any first year draftee that isn't taken in the first round earns 50k/year. Top 5 picks earn over 100k/year, 5-10 about 90k/year, 10-end of first round 75k/year. The rest 50k/year.

that is base contract - get extra for games played.

that is base contract - get extra for games played.

Games played doesn't really have a massive impact on the cap though, because regardless of who they are, there's 22 blokes picked each week. I'm pretty sure the match fee is the same whether you're Gary Ablett or a rookie.

is howlett to the west like the yearly report of jetta to the west. i can't see a need that howlett would fill.

West Coast have a desperate need for a player who is less than 6'8" and not a flanker.

Games played doesn't really have a massive impact on the cap though, because regardless of who they are, there's 22 blokes picked each week. I'm pretty sure the match fee is the same whether you're Gary Ablett or a rookie.

It only has an impact if you have lots of injuries and have to upgrade rookies.

It only has an impact if you have lots of injuries and have to upgrade rookies.

But it's still 22 games * 22 players * match fee which needs to go under the cap. The identity of the players isn't relevant.

What you're talking about is the higher wage for elevated rookies.

WC doesn't need a one paced midfielder - Their only midfielder with speed is Shuey.

They need any mid they can get their hands on at this point. Far too many smalls who can't play in the centre square. When you're playing 4 talls at each end, it's hard to carry Hill, Cripps, Bennell, Hurn, Butler and Tunbridge.

I actually think Jetta would be the one that would suit the Eagles to a tee.

Howlett would fit in as well, but maybe not because they've got one of Waterman's sons coming through in this year's draft, who is a similar height/build/type of footballer.

Their midfield depth is just ridiculously thin though, I wonder if they'd be willing to give us a marking forward?

Howlett would fit in as well, but maybe not because they've got one of Waterman's sons coming through in this year's draft, who is a similar height/build/type of footballer.

Their midfield depth is just ridiculously thin though, I wonder if they'd be willing to give us a marking forward?

Would love to get McGovern - He could be an exceptional player.

Would love to get McGovern - He could be an exceptional player.

Absolutely, looks so comfortable at the level already at either end. But that wont happen.

Callum Sinclair would be an ideal 3rd ruckman

Is there any recognised pinch-hitter for them below Lycett and Sinclair?

McInnes and Kennedy are tall enough. No idea whether they've done it before

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Absolutely, looks so comfortable at the level already at either end. But that wont happen.

All signed up. 4 year deal to Lycett was a bit much. I guess they had to since Port was circling.

Sinclair would fit the role beautifully - And he is a decent relief forward.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon

far cry from judd kerr embley cousins and co, once apon a time they were all mids and no talls... seems like their list manager needs to learn balance

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
As much as it pains me to say it you can put Melksham in with the players I would include in a trade for Jack Watts. Like for like in the intensity stakes but Watts has more of a role to play.

Melksham is the sort of guy who has real upside if someone can work out how to get it out of him (his kicking could be elite).

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
As much as it pains me to say it you can put Melksham in with the players I would include in a trade for Jack Watts. Like for like in the intensity stakes but Watts has more of a role to play.

Melksham is the sort of guy who has real upside if someone can work out how to get it out of him (his kicking could be elite).

He's had 3 coaches now, the last a dual premiership coaching legend, I doubt he is going to significantly improve.

As for kicking apart from Jobe I cant recall 2 many players ever improving their field kicking? Plus I think melks decision making is poor, that mark he dropped against eagles, missed set shot against tigers, very costly.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He's had 3 coaches now, the last a dual premiership coaching legend, I doubt he is going to significantly improve.

As for kicking apart from Jobe I cant recall 2 many players ever improving their field kicking? Plus I think melks decision making is poor, that mark he dropped against eagles, missed set shot against tigers, very costly.

For a start Melksham didn't decide to drop the mark or miss a goal. They are examples of poor execution.

He wouldn't be improving his kicking in the way Jobe did. Jobe had massive mechanical problems that prevented him from getting the basics right and even now he does not kick the ball like a natural.

Melksham kicks the ball with that slower ball spin and flat trajectory of other really good kicks but can't seem to clear his head enough to execute the skills he has. There are plenty of guys who start their careers spraying the ball before they adapt to the pace of the game and find the time to comfortably kick the ball. Myers is a prime example, he has gone from having a poorly weighted cannon to being a sublime kick of the ball between 10 and 70m.

I'd say Melksham is closer to Myers than Jobe.

lenny2013

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

Melbourne would jump at a deal for a straight swap Watts for Melksham.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Melbourne would jump at a deal for a straight swap Watts for Melksham.

No they wouldn't!!! Watts is still a sellers market, especially after Pattons injury.

Carlton, dogs, North Melbourne amongst others will be knocking on dees door, increasing bargaining power.

melksham might get toumpas or Tapscott by himself.

For watts would need to be packaged with a 2nd rounder (which would need to trade for).

No they wouldn't!!! Watts is still a sellers market, especially after Pattons injury.

Carlton, dogs, North Melbourne amongst others will be knocking on dees door, increasing bargaining power.

melksham might get toumpas or Tapscott by himself.

For watts would need to be packaged with a 2nd rounder (which would need to trade for).
This isn't the delusional pearlers. Melksham would be Melbourne 'a 3rd or 4th best midfielder

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
This isn't the delusional pearlers. Melksham would be Melbourne 'a 3rd or 4th best midfielder

So why are u posting that?

Melksham is not up to a brent prismall status.

Tyson, cross, trengrove (if fit), vince, salem, viney am I missing anyone.

get your blinkers off, milkshake is being touted as trade bait on here for one reason...

So why are u posting that?

Melksham is not up to a brent prismall status.

Tyson, cross, trengrove (if fit), vince, salem, viney am I missing anyone.

get your blinkers off, milkshake is being touted as trade bait on here for one reason...
There is no way those 3 are better. I'll admit I forgot about Vince, and Viney maybe but there's a reason Melksham has played nearly 100 games over 5 years at Essendon, one of the stronger midfields in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back