Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Heppell a chance to come on the rookie list next year? how's his form been for those in the know.

I doubt it. Has tenacity and that dogged streak in him but lacks that polish. a step below in all areas unfortunately.

Not to say he can't make a good VFL player out of him

Yeah obviously not all of them, but I think if we could get one for a token sort of pick or as a delisted free agent would be great for us given our pick situation.

say we got Arnott or Schroder for a 4th round pick for example. That would allow us to prioritise talls in the first and 3rd rounds, while still bringing in a bit more ready to go midfield depth. Worst that can happen is that we move on in a couple of years and replace them with a pick that's the right side of 50.
Old boy Fletch is really changing our perspective on drafting... worth a look so long as they're under the age of 50 ;)

Not sure anyone will be willing to part with a top 20 pick for the under performing JOR

Why we trading for an under performing 3rd tall whose unsure where his true position is?

the cost versus risk don't seem to meet

It's not about the standard of their performances. If they were going to be traded in because of their performances they would basically be unobtainable. They'd likely be playing and not homesick or they'd be much too expensive.

We should just make the call on the basis of what we think we can get out of the player. If we believe that either O'Rourke or Jaksch is a star in the making/200 game player who needs a change in environment surely we put 18 on the table (because they are the types of players we would be looking at anyway and they're of an age that they can make a more immediate impact).

Last edited:
He plays a lot like Zaka. While that's good, we need more of another Howlett type. Like I said about 5 pages ago; we have an 8/10 outside midfield and a 6/10 inside midfield. Theoretically if he replaces Merrett it lifts our outside to an 8.5 and doesn't really change our inside. Whereas another Howlett type would lift our inside stuff to a 7-7.5 and improve our midfield that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He plays a lot like Zaka. While that's good, we need more of another Howlett type. Like I said about 5 pages ago; we have an 8/10 outside midfield and a 6/10 inside midfield. Theoretically if he replaces Merrett it lifts our outside to an 8.5 and doesn't really change our inside. Whereas another Howlett type would lift our inside stuff to a 7-7.5 and improve our midfield that way.

I think you're underrating Shuey's inside ability while he isn't good enough to regularly beat a tagger if allowed to run free he'd easily average 5+ clearances a game and challenge Myers as our third best inside mid.

I think you're underrating Shuey's inside ability while he isn't good enough to regularly beat a tagger if allowed to run free he'd easily average 5+ clearances a game and challenge Myers as our third best inside mid.
I think you're massively overrating his inside ability. If he did that he would be in the top 35 inside mids in the game. 5 clearances a game is ******* massive.

he averages 4.9 clearances this year
Didn't know that. He's an outside mid for the most part anyway. The asking price is still way too high

Didn't know that. He's an outside mid for the most part anyway. The asking price is still way too high
Im pretty sure in this very thread or similar i had a debate about you with the same guy (Yes Shuey) that he avgs over 10 CP per game and 5 clearances per game. Shuey is a top end footballer, no doubts about it. Hes unobtainable though.

You reckon? Another inside outside type with good disposal and pace would fit perfectly in our side.

Agree completely that we need someone who has the ability to work through stoppages at pace much more than anything else. Just changes the mix of players and gives us a more attacking option than we other wise have.

Second on the list would be a Stephen Hill/Isaac Smith type for a wing.

Last edited:
Agree completely that we need someone who has the ability to work through stoppages at pace much more than anything else. Just changes the mix of players and gives us a more attacking option than we other wise have.

Second on the list would a Stephen Hill/Isaac Smith type for a wing.

The problem is identifying the need and filling it are two completely different things.

I may be optimistic but I see Jackson Merrett filling that wingman role in the not too distant future

National draft combine invitees

NSW/ACT
Logan Austin Belconnen
Nick Coughlan Murray Bushrangers
Abe Davis UNSW-Easts
Tom Faul Ainslie
Jeremy Finlayson Hills Eagles
Isaac Heeney Cardiff
Jack Hiscox Sydney Uni
Brydan Hodgson Murray Bushrangers
Dougal Howard Murray Bushrangers
Michael Mattingly Corowa-Rutherglen
Tyler Roos Sandringham Dragons
Jack Steele Belconnen

NORTHERN TERRITORY
Nakia Cockatoo NT Thunder

QUEENSLAND
Harris Andrews Aspley
Liam Dawson Aspley
Matt Hammelmann Morningside
Nick Jackson Aspley
Braydon Preuss Mt Gravatt
Matthew Uebergang Ipswich
Lachie Weller Broadbeach

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Peter Bampton Norwood
Caleb Daniel South Adelaide
Sam Durdin West Adelaide
Brett Eddy South Adelaide
Josh Glenn Central Districts
Dean Gore Sturt
Cory Gregson Glenelg
Declan Hamilton Port Adelaide
Oleg Markov North Adelaide
Alex Neal-Bullen Glenelg
Keenan Ramsey Port Adelaide
Tom Read Sturt
James Rose Sturt
Billy Stretch Glenelg
Harrison Wigg North Adelaide

TASMANIA
Josh McGuinness Lauderdale

VIC COUNTRY
Daniel Butler North Ballarat Rebels
Christian Buykx-Smith Gippsland Power
Daniel Capiron Gippsland Power
Zaine Cordy Geelong Falcons
Jordan Cunico Gippsland Power
Nathan Drummond Murray Bushrangers
Hugh Goddard Geelong Falcons
Daniel Howe Murray Bushrangers
Tom Lamb Dandenong Stingrays
Jack Lonie Dandenong Stingrays
Caleb Marchbank Murray Bushrangers
Rowan Marshall North Ballarat Rebels
Patrick McCartin Geelong Falcons
Jaden McGrath Bendigo Pioneers
Jackson Nelson Geelong Falcons
Lukas Webb Gippsland Power

VIC METRO
Paul Ahern Calder Cannons
Angus Brayshaw Sandringham Dragons
Jason Castagna Northern Knights
Damien Cavka Calder Cannons
Josh Clayton Sandringham Dragons
Jordan De Goey Oakleigh Chargers
Harry Dear Sandringham Dragons
Liam Duggan Western Jets
Corey Ellis Western Jets
Matthew Goodyear Calder Cannons
Billy Gowers Oakleigh Chargers
Ed Langdon Sandringham Dragons
Kyle Langford Northern Knights
Jayden Laverde Western Jets
Jake Lever Calder Cannons
Brayden Maynard Sandringham Dragons
Daniel McKenzie Oakleigh Chargers
Reece McKenzie Northern Knights
Connor Menadue Western Jets
Touk Miller Calder Cannons
Darcy Moore Oakleigh Chargers
Daniel Nielson Eastern Ranges
Brenton Payne Western Jets
Christian Petracca Eastern Ranges
Marc Pittonet Oakleigh Chargers
Ed Vickers-Willis Sandringham Dragons
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow Western Jets
Peter Wright Calder Cannons

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Aidan Anderson Swan Districts
Connor Blakely Swan Districts
Jack Cripps East Fremantle
Josh Deluca Subiaco
Billy Frampton South Fremantle
Jarrod Garlett South Fremantle
Tyler Keitel East Perth
Mitch McGovern Claremont
Jermaine Miller-Lewis South Fremantle
Jarrod Pickett South Fremantle
Clem Smith Perth
Francis Watson Claremont

INTERNATIONAL
Marvin Baynham USA
Paddy Brophy Ireland
Evan Bruinsma USA
Connor McKenna Ireland

couple missed out that i rate pretty highly as well

Second on the list would be a Stephen Hill/Isaac Smith type for a wing.
I haven't seen much of him even though I watch most GWS games but I think O'Rourke is that type of quick inside-outside midfielder with good skills - not as powerful and explosive as a Dangerfield or Shuey but still fast and with much better disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back