Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? We're talking about Ryan O'Keefe? He'll be 34 by the time next season commences and showed nothing in the first four rounds.

Even Chappy was only 32 when we took him on, which provided scope for a much bigger return.

Which means this is the last off season we can get some value for him before he walks?

Personally I think hes good enough to be getting regular games in another team, I think he will want the opportunity and with our lack of picks any chance we have to flip players we won't be using for good youth is a big plus. Don't want him to have to leave but I think he will be on the table.

Agree, Tayte seems to have become surplus to our requirements through the over supply of back men at the club and at 24 probably could offer teams like Melbourne & St Kilda some good value at a 3rd round pick or even an upgrade of our 4th rounder into a 3rd rounder.

We've (Dodoro) had a history of having an over inflated value of our players and have a uncompromising attitude at the trade table which often sees us sitting on our players until we run their trade value into the ground and finally delist them, hopefully we don't do this we Tayte.

I know excepting a 4th round upgrade would be felt as getting unders (by dodo) for Pears but considering our draft situation I think it would be reasonable result for both parties.

Pick 49 - Essendon: Sam Bevan (WA, KPF)

Comparison: Jesse White

hilarious_do_not_want_images_640_02.jpg

Unless the comparison is "What Jesse White would be if he wasn't complete and utter dogshite".

Agree, Tayte seems to have become surplus to our requirements through the over supply of back men at the club and at 24 probably could offer teams like Melbourne & St Kilda some good value at a 3rd round pick or even an upgrade of our 4th rounder into a 3rd rounder.

We've (Dodoro) had a history of having an over inflated value of our players and have a uncompromising attitude at the trade table which often sees us sitting on our players until we run their trade value into the ground and finally delist them, hopefully we don't do this we Tayte.

I know excepting a 4th round upgrade would be felt as getting unders (by dodo) for Pears but considering our draft situation I think it would be reasonable result for both parties.

We wouldn't even use a fourth round pick besides to upgrade Ambrose, what's the point of upgrading it?

Unless the comparison is "What Jesse White would be if he wasn't complete and utter dogshite".

White continues to confound. Every time I think he is going to go on and become a really good player he stalls.

I think the point is that Bevan has the physical attributes of White in which case he is the ideal player to take late in a draft or rookie.

White continues to confound. Every time I think he is going to go on and become a really good player he stalls.

I think the point is that Bevan has the physical attributes of White in which case he is the ideal player to take late in a draft or rookie.

White is physically the prototype of the modern forward. He's just putrid though. A remnant of the mid-to-late-2000s era where athletes were rated more highly than footballers. The era where Michael Barlow was overlooked but Cale Morton commanded pick 4 and Matthew Kreuzer pick 1.

If this Bevan kid can actually play footy, then he's well worth a punt, but if he's just a tall guy who can run, then what's the point? There's plenty of actual footballers out there.

I wouldn't be banking on Fletcher retiring, but no matter what happens, we're going to be struggling to find enough players to remove anyway. I'd rather keep Hardingham or Hams than use a fourth round pick.

So ROK wants to go on next year and will explore his options.

That's a step in the right direction Ben the Gooner, but i'm still not convinced. Would be an odd feeling to have a bloke come to the club and potentially play his 300th in his first year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROK wants to go on and play,We dont need a full season just the games that chappy doesnt play and finals.Who would the oppisition send there best small defender to in september.Chappy or ROK.This is not our year next year is 12 to 15 games not 26.You dont just loose class overnight.Make it happen BOMBERS.Cost us next to nothing.

ROK wants to go on and play,We dont need a full season just the games that chappy doesnt play and finals.Who would the oppisition send there best small defender to in september.Chappy or ROK.This is not our year next year is 12 to 15 games not 26.You dont just loose class overnight.Make it happen BOMBERS.Cost us next to nothing.
Would rather Tom Mitchell, as he's younger and pretty much plays a similar role.

So ROK wants to go on next year and will explore his options.

That's a step in the right direction Ben the Gooner, but i'm still not convinced. Would be an odd feeling to have a bloke come to the club and potentially play his 300th in his first year

I don't think there's too many guys who go on for too long at another club. Maybe at their original club, but you'd want to be pretty bloody confident about your own ability to start afresh with a new system.

Next step would be to work out what role he could play, how that ties in with Chappy being a similar player of a similar age, and what his contract would be worth. I'd like to think there's a marking small forward role for him, with the ability to rotate through the midfield with some regularity.

It's one spot on a list for the price of two. I never liked the hysterical response to the draft sanctions as they should not be felt even in the long term (with talent to come from other sources) but wasting list spots on and game time on veterans from other clubs is one of the few things that could cause these sanctions to ultimately haunt us.

We've got seriously good quality experienced senior players with Watson, Goddard, Chapman, Stanton, Fletcher (for next season by the look of it) and even Ryder who has 160 odd games to his name. There is then a growing middle band of 10+ 100 game players (or guys like Myers who are mature and experienced).

We just don't need to be wasting spots on veterans because they have played quality finals footy in what is likely to be an irrelevant past.

Last edited:
I don't think there's too many guys who go on for too long at another club. Maybe at their original club, but you'd want to be pretty bloody confident about your own ability to start afresh with a new system.

Next step would be to work out what role he could play, how that ties in with Chappy being a similar player of a similar age, and what his contract would be worth. I'd like to think there's a marking small forward role for him, with the ability to rotate through the midfield with some regularity.

He hasn't played as a marking small forward for about 8 years.

He hasn't played as a marking small forward for about 8 years.

I know, but he's done it with aplomb in the past and he's clearly not worth looking at from our perspective as a midfielder, given our current pace deficit. If he is to play for us, it'd have to be in that forward role. If he's not happy with that, would prefer to play midfield etc., then fine, we don't pick him up.

It's not like we need to drop everything to get Ryan O'Keefe. If he fills a specific role for us, it's a freebie, but if he doesn't, it doesn't exactly hurt our list to look elsewhere.

They've gotta be able to play though, and despite regularly getting great stat lines in the neafl i'm not convinced, he'll also be the 4th oldest player in the comp as it stands for next year.

Stop gaps are all well and good (Baugley and Chapman have been raging successes), but I don't want a situation where we could possibly lose an absolute s**t tonne of experience at the end of next year and then be left in a bit of a lurch.

Even as I say this i'm shaking my head, but i'd prefer Shaun Higgins
The difference ROK 200k one year. Higgins demanding 400k a year for 3 years.

Would rather Tom Mitchell, as he's younger and pretty much plays a similar role.
Who are we going to give up and we dont have a first round draft pick or the salary room space at years end to tempt him,would suggest a melbourne club would offer 4years at 500 k a year.I firmly beleive for next year ROK will have more impact for next years finals

I would be worried about loseing all of Winderlich, Fletcher, ROK, Chapman in the same year which would be very likely at the end of 2015. Would leave a hole and also constrict opportunities for youngsters which may in turn lead to some of them seeking opportunities elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back