TRADE: Fremantle's Robert Warnock and pick 69 to Carlton for picks 24, 56 and 72.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ray is a squib and a down hill skier.

He should feel right at home with Dal Santo, Fiora, the Clarke sisters and the rest of your hard mids.

I guess Thompson and Clarkson have to work out how to stop the Saints now that they've picked up Ray. ;) :rolleyes:

They sure would.

I guess they would have to work out how to stop your Magnificent forward line, along with your Awesome back line? :eek:

What choice did Freo have at the end of the day. On a moral stand i would have loved to walk away from the deal and throw warnock into the PSD, but the coaching staff have a responsibility to the club, its supporters, sponsors etc to do what is best for the Freo footy club and that was get picks in this draft.
good on them for having a go and good on them for having the strength to do the right thing for the club!

Would have rather had pick their 3rd rounder but 24 and 56 will be pretty handy to us this draft. Better than losing him for nothing in the PSD.

Thanks Robbie for screwing us by refusing to deal with others due the $$$ signs in front of you. Can't wait to see how he's feeling after a few quarters of having Sandi jumping into him and Solly sorting him out at ground level. :thumbsu:

for all those posters that want to laugh at freo - in reality what choice did they have.

No other club made a serious offer that was better and they risked losing him for nothing. At least now they have pick 24 which could net a reasonable player and some loose change at the end of the draft that they will use due to the number of retirements they had this year.

Not a great result for them but still better than losing a promising ruckman for nothing at all.

qft.

Would have rather had pick their 3rd rounder but 24 and 56 will be pretty handy to us this draft. Better than losing him for nothing in the PSD.

Thanks Robbie for screwing us by refusing to deal with others due the $$$ signs in front of you. Can't wait to see how he's feeling after a few quarters of having Sandi jumping into him and Solly sorting him out at ground level. :thumbsu:

Look the only clubs who were chasing Robbie hard were Melbourne and Carlton ..

Now from a neutral point of view, which club do you honestly is a more attractive prospect for an young and upcoming ruckman, on and off the field ?

Why would anyone want to play for a club like melbourne anyway, they are going to be in deep dog doo for a few years

Pick 24 for Warnock ultimately wasn't too bad, my anger at freo is the public spectacle they contributed to about standing tough against the blues original offer.
I disagree. What stuffed Freo up was the realisation that Carlton had priced out all competitors in the PSD to get Warnock. In turn Freo could see that even if they stood firm, Carlton would have got him anyway and any principle they stuck to would have meant nothing as they would have looked like absolute idiots for holding firm to a stance that had no consequence. If Collingwood or Essendon were perhaps before Carlton in the PSD it may have changed things as they are big VIC clubs who don't have to watch their salary cap (Dees have to be around 92.5%). If say Collingwood got him then at least Freo's stance would have had it's merits as far as making thier point went which is what they were banking on.

That's life, at least Freo had a go and got slightly more than just pick 24.

i know it's all banter, but our supporters hanging s**t on Freo fans is pretty *ing poor imo. Yes, they got fleeced(imo) and clearly, they know this-why rub it in? I mean calling them tools and what not? Unless your on holidays of the schooling type, grow up

We blinked no doubt about it but I now await the 24 or nothing carlton supporters to appear saying we told you so.

I am not overly happy now but lets see how the cards fall on draft day ...if we can draft well - perhaps the sun will still rise.

Warnock should be a very good player and at least it adds some protection for Kruezer.

Anyway we have started to put some spice into the Blues game next year..which will be interesting.

Good luck to the Blues next season.

What are you talking about?

They had PICK 69 in the draft, they upgraded it to pick 56.

A 13 place increase in the lottery section of the draft, nothing more, nothing less.

Stop trying to make it look better than it is, you're a West Coast supporter after all ;)

Think before you post!

Fremantle have delisted/retired/traded about seven or eight players.
The trade gives them one first and third round, two second and fourth round picks. 3,21,24,37, 53, 56
56 will be their sixth and maybe last pick.

Carlton are left with 6, 40 and 69.

Obviously Freo wanted the third rounder from Carlton, equally obviously Carlton wouldn't accept 6, 56 and 72 or even 53,69

BF really is just a bottomeless pit of ignorance at times.

It's just a trade...nothing more, nothing less. Don't know why all the hype and the all the back and forth bullshit required.

Works for Carlton...we add a potentially great ruckman, and in a couple of years time can look forward to Warnock, Hampson and Kruezer running around in the same team. Certainly haven't 'bent Freo over', nor have they paid over the odds.

Freo were never going to get much more than 24. Hopefully that gets them reasonable compensation. Let's not forget they put 3 years of development into the kid. With Wood going for 14 last year they rightfully wanted more, but another ten minutes and they would have got nothing.

Seems like a fair deal to me.

He certainly has a huge growth potential, but I still don't understand the hype about this bloke.

How can Prismall go for pick 39, and Warnock essentially pick 24 and change?

God help us all if Warnock becomes a star, the amount of crap coming from Carlton supporters before he has even playd a game is astounding.

Pick 24 for Warnock ultimately wasn't too bad, my anger at freo is the public spectacle they contributed to about standing tough against the blues original offer.

Carlton supporters a word of advice, if Warnock is to carry your ruck duties next year don't expect too much. He remains incredibly raw and will not get your side into the 8

This is it in a nutshell. There was no need to back themselves in a corner and create the spectacle this became. Other than that, it's a pretty fair deal for mine.

Kid better be able to play after all this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God help us all if Warnock becomes a star, the amount of crap coming from Carlton supporters before he has even playd a game is astounding.
Agreed.

Agreed. Painted themselves into a corner.

Carlton supporters a word of advice, if Warnock is to carry your ruck duties next year don't expect too much. He remains incredibly raw and will not get your side into the 8
Agreed. He is not a walk up number one ruckman by any stretch.

I have to say though that there are a few posters in this thread serving it up to Carlton for picking up an average player or saying that Freo did well because Warnock was only Pick 42 in his draft, who were taking opposite stances prior to the deal going through.

Before he got him, he was a future gun that we should pay for accordingly. After we get him, he is overrated.

The stupidity over this one runs on both sides. Some of us have maintained the same stance all the way through.

We blinked no doubt about it but I now await the 24 or nothing carlton supporters to appear saying we told you so.

24 or nothing was a catch cry for the core of the deal. Icke had already said the debate wasn't over late picks or fringe players but over whether 24 was good enough. I'm not sure that those saying 24 or nothing would have too much egg on their faces over some late picks and exchanges.

Enjoyed your thoughts on the Carlton board over this Moo. You managed to play the ball which isn't always easy as people come in to shirtfront you. :thumbsu:

i know it's all banter, but our supporters hanging s**t on Freo fans is pretty *ing poor imo. Yes, they got fleeced(imo) and clearly, they know this-why rub it in? I mean calling them tools and what not? Unless your on holidays of the schooling type, grow up
Agreed, although it is inevitable as night follows day ... for all teams.

Giving pick 72 seems to give people the false illusion that this trade is more than it is...

We were going to use picks 6, 40, 56 if we gave up 24.
We now have to use 6, 40, 69.

The sweetner was giving them a 13 place upgrade.

We gave pick 72...so what, its a nothing pick to us, and its not like that was holding up the trade. It was a last minute request/option for Freo to save face because of their 'tough' stance, and appear they got more than they really did.

It is a win/win for both clubs.

You obviously have no idea! If I had a choice of 6 players at Freo from which to build towards a premiership tilt in 3 years time then he would be one of them.

Great grab by Carlton, Freo shafted but did as well as they could and other Melbourne clubs should look at themselves to find out why Judd and Warnock didn't choose you (i.e Melbourne and Collingwood)!

Idiocy. All Warnock is is a untried beanpole. There are players of similar worth in the draft, and there will be similar players of worth at pick 24 too, especially as this draft runs deep.

People who think that the blues have clearly won this need mental assessment.

24 or nothing was a catch cry for the core of the deal. Icke had already said the debate wasn't over late picks or fringe players but over whether 24 was good enough. I'm not sure that those saying 24 or nothing would have too much egg on their faces over some late picks and exchanges.

Enjoyed your thoughts on the Carlton board over this Moo. You managed to play the ball which isn't always easy as people come in to shirtfront you. :thumbsu:

I'm suprised he hung around with some of the jive that was being talked.

lo's at the Carlton fans beating there chests as if to say they got him for what they wanted. Pick 24 or nothing bla bla bla bla bla.
Bookmark it, that would be it Blablabla blabla................. blablabla.

Im very happy with the clubs effort good deal all in all for both parties concearned.

I just hope they that RW could now handle the 400k p/y price tag aswell as the number 1 duties.

In my opinion he is a couple years off that and playing 70% game time as first ruck could become a problem for his body.

Anyway cheers Carlton fans for the same post 1 million times over from different fans over the last 2 weeks and all i want to say now is we got more than pick 24. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back