List Mgmt. Trade: Geelong receives Mitch Clark from Melbourne and sends Travis Varcoe to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the memories Trav. Although your production tailed off since your injury issues of a couple of years ago you will always be remembered for playing a significant part in a couple of pivotal moments in GFC history.

Collingwood will drop him before their 8th game into the season if not sooner just you see, and Buckley will be Pi@#ed!
He won't put up with it.
Second year running and finally over the line, I reckon the club's pleased.

Losing Varcoe's pretty disappointing. I think he played an important role and I'm not sure who we've got with similar defensive abilities on the spread. Perhaps Murdoch can improve in that area. Surely this move was made to open up cap space to target a free agent next year.

Welcome to Mitch Clark too. His best is quality. Hopefully we can see it.

Happy to see Varcoe leave. Has been a dead weight since 2011.

Very poor overhead mark. Shirks contests. Falls off tackles. Loses 1-1 contests too often.

Too bad we couldn't get him to Hawthorn.

Losing Varcoe's pretty disappointing. I think he played an important role and I'm not sure who we've got with similar defensive abilities on the spread. Perhaps Murdoch can improve in that area. Surely this move was made to open up cap space to target a free agent next year.

Welcome to Mitch Clark too. His best is quality. Hopefully we can see it.

and so it begins

Collingwood will drop him before their 8th game into the season if not sooner just you see, and Buckley will be Pi@#ed!
He won't put up with it.

Going to be interesting to see how the Pies and their fans react to him if he pulls out the same kind of poor effort he did here.

Happy to see Varcoe leave. Has been a dead weight since 2011.

Very poor overhead mark. Shirks contests. Falls off tackles. Loses 1-1 contests too often.

Too bad we couldn't get him to Hawthorn.

Had to go , as I said in a few threads he needed to be a 18+ possession getter every week to justify where we played him.
I actually think the shoulder stuffed him - he doesn't lack courage but his tackles are meek and his bumping lacks aggression - I think that's because he's scared of hurting the shoulder again.
Anyway - Pies problem now :D

If Clark's foot hold up, Geelong are massive winners in this deal.
Im actually more worried about the other end than the foot - but either way, if both hold up, there could be some massive upside.

Just as the upside is massive, so is the size of the IF……

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...nd-1-next-season/story-fni5f6yf-1227093049159

It is understood Clark has been training for three months and will have no trouble joining the rest of the senior Cats from December 1.
The optimism surrounding his physical and mental health has buoyed hopes he can play a key role for them from Round 1 next season.
“It is really softly, softly with him, there is absolutely no pressure on him at all,” Balme said.
“It has been a while since he has played, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Was flicking through this year's AFL Prospectus earlier and noticed that over the 2012-2013 seasons, Clark was ranked 2nd on average behind Travis Cloke in terms of how often he won a one-on-one marking contest as a key forward. I understand he had such a small sample size in this regard (15 of a possible 44 games), but if we could get his foot (and head) right, he and Hawkins could form a nightmare partnership for opposition defences to contend with.

Had to go , as I said in a few threads he needed to be a 18+ possession getter every week to justify where we played him.
I actually think the shoulder stuffed him - he doesn't lack courage but his tackles are meek and his bumping lacks aggression - I think that's because he's scared of hurting the shoulder again.
Anyway - Pies problem now :D

I literally don't think he could get one of his arms above his head - maybe he could pull it off once a game ... not sure if Collingwood have the same doctor who gave Steve Johnson a fail on his medical exam in 2006 or not?

He won't put up with it.

Let the dagger go Brutus, you don't have to stomp on his grave.
Or do we look forward to you reporting on his (non) form for another year?

Let the dagger go Brutus, you don't have to stomp on his grave.
Or do we look forward to you reporting on his (non) form for another year?

I must admit it will be interesting to see how he goes under Buckley since there's so much favour bias on here!
Loosing a 12 disposal midfield failure is not disappointing!! ....it's a blessing!

Get behind Mitch Clark. Where's his support in this thread? It's good to see some understand the wisdom.

Last edited:
I must admit it will be interesting to see how he goes under Buckley since there's so much favour bias on here!
Loosing a 12 disposal midfield failure is not disappointing!! ....it's a blessing!

Get behind Mitch Clark. Where's his support in this thread? It's good to see some understand the wisdom.

Will be interesting to watch him in a Collingwood game, that's for sure. When he does the normal frustrating things you watch how some people go from defending him to calling him an outright spud. I defended him in his time because he was a Cat and I still reckon we should have kept him but it will be easier to shitcan him going foward...

On Mitchy, I'm very excited. I don't think Geelong would have taken him if he wasnt 90% chance of playing and that 90% is better than a lot fo other players that we have. If he had been training plenty in preparation of a return to AFL then clearly the foot is not presenting a problem (unless this was all bullshit but I suspect Geelong would have completed a medical) and as far as the depression issues go well I'm sure being in a low key environment with access to the beach and that sort of stuff will be just the tonic he needs to feel good about what he is doing.

I hope that the forwards group spend a lot of time this pre season working on structure and strategy so that Clark and Hawkins work the forward line beautifully!

I'm very happy we got Calrk. He will be a steal if he gets his foot right.

We will have 2 fwd's capable of 50-60 goals. Will be very dangerous.

I'm very happy we got Calrk. He will be a steal if he gets his foot right.

We will have 2 fwd's capable of 50-60 goals. Will be very dangerous.

Have to agree with being happy to get Clarke for Varcoe.

Lets be honest we would have never been in the ball park at end of 2011 offering Varcoe for Clarke. Brisbane would have laughed at us, think he ended up being traded for pick 12 from memory. I know a lot has happened since then but with the program at Geelong I think he will flourish. More importantly he will be given time and encouragement from the club. Fingers crossed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back