Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Not saying he doesn't have talent and he has had a tough time breaking into what I think is arguably the best spine in the game, but its a huge risk on our part to be downgrading a top 5 pick for him as well as a swap of second rounders in your favour as someone suggested is a fair trade. I would consider a straight swap for say our second rounder but to trade into the top 5 we need an established player particularly due to our lack of 23 - 27 year old players.
It's a tough one.

If pick 5 guaranteed Brayshaw, I would say 12 plus Mccinnes. WC won't trade Brown, he has been top notch this year and exceeded fan expectations. Schofield is the guy on our list, who would be good for the Dogs. However, it's a case of a player being better than their currency.

Crazy thing is, last year teams would have scoffed at trading a pick for McGovern, now he would likely net a reasonable first rounder. KPP's take time and often don't look like world beaters, until suddenly they are. Heck look at Lycett. Begginning of the year Port fans were in two minds, as the season progressed and he got games posters were suggesting they throw everything they had at him. Now after he has resigned and really showed his potential, our club wouldn't part with him for a quality first round selection and if it happened, I reckon the fans would go into meltdown.

Point being, Fraser is a big lad. He can play forward, back and even pinch hit in the ruck. However, given his body size and shape, was always going to take time. Likewise, East Perth is as stacked with KP talent as WC, hence fans have to be patient.

There is a reason why WC seem to have great KPP's. First, the recruiters do have an eye for it. Second, the club is patient, far more so than many competitors. Heck, McGovern came back from injury over weight and unfit and now looks like one of the best young KP prospects in the comp.

It's a tough one.

If pick 5 guaranteed Brayshaw, I would say 12 plus Mccinnes. WC won't trade Brown, he has been top notch this year and exceeded fan expectations. Schofield is the guy on our list, who would be good for the Dogs. However, it's a case of a player being better than their currency.

Crazy thing is, last year teams would have scoffed at trading a pick for McGovern, now he would likely net a reasonable first rounder. KPP's take time and often don't look like world beaters, until suddenly they are. Heck look at Lycett. Begginning of the year Port fans were in two minds, as the season progressed and he got games posters were suggesting they throw everything they had at him. Now after he has resigned and really showed his potential, our club wouldn't part with him for a quality first round selection and if it happened, I reckon the fans would go into meltdown.

Point being, Fraser is a big lad. He can play forward, back and even pinch hit in the ruck. However, given his body size and shape, was always going to take time. Likewise, East Perth is as stacked with KP talent as WC, hence fans have to be patient.

There is a reason why WC seem to have great KPP's. First, the recruiters seem to have an eye for it. Second, the club is patient, far more so than many competitors. Heck, McGovern came back from injury over weight and unfit and now looks like one of the best young KP prospects in the comp.

Personally for McGovern currently I would certainly entertain

Pick 5 and 26 for McGovern and 11 not sure if eagles fans think thats fair but i reckon that is reasonable value.

Personally for McGovern currently I would certainly entertain

Pick 5 and 26 for McGovern and 11 not sure if eagles fans think thats fair but i reckon that is reasonable value.
Yep not an offensive offer, but this would never happen.

Aggressive contested marking forwards are rare. But when they can also go back, take intercept marks, read the play and deliver 50m passes down the centre, well you may have a special player.

Yep. I don't really see much benefit for you guys unless you a) got him on the cheap or b) were confident you could turn him around. I'd be paying more for someone of quality and so immediate impact if I were in the Eagles' camp.
This is it.

Next year is the year to go hard at out of contract premium mids. The only worthwhile trades for us would be to hunt for undervalued youth in the first 2-4 years of their development cycle. Guys like Yeo, or Polec who might be gotten on the cheap.

Lucas might be an ok get, however the right cost for WC would be closer to a goodwill trade.

So what your saying is that Pick 5 + Pick 25 for Pick 10 + Pick 30 + McInness

He hasn't played one game at senior level in 3 seasons.
this is beyond ridiculous!

We want at least a similiar standard player in Elliot Yeo upgrade trade last who had shown something at AFL level and that was just the one pick downgrade.
Our KPP stocks are dire but we aren't going to sell the farm for that trade.

Agree - we'd be laughing if we got an upgrade from 30 to 25 on it's own.

McGovern is worth large currency, McInnes is worth tokenism at best. In saying that, our ruck depth is very bare, so he would be required to offer a chop out

I'd only do that if we knew Aish wanted out. Kerridge has potential and shown some good signs and as you mentioned, pick 9 is close to Aish's pick 7. It'd be nice if it was in a stronger draft though. But I'd back our boys into pick up a quality player regardless.

I would too, your recruiters nailed it last year and seem to really extract maximum value from every selection.

Third would be his high selling point. Hasn't done bad in the magoos but hasn't strung games together to put pressure on incumbents. Smack is one of those players you are sure will click in a new environment and bite us on the arse

What is his story though? Is he just not motivated at adelaide? Will you guys be letting him go? If so would pick 73 (round four) do it? Seems he really wants to go back to victoria though.

What is his story though? Is he just not motivated at adelaide? Will you guys be letting him go? If so would pick 73 (round four) do it? Seems he really wants to go back to victoria though.

Issue is above the shoulders. Think he really missed his family the first few years and was all set to go back to Victoria last year but nobody came a knockin' so he stayed on a one year deal. I get the feeling that one day it might click that nobody else will pay you six figures for a job like football and he'll make it work for him but it just hasn't yet; I think he is a little more open to moving interstate than he was previously.

I am not 100% sure we are delisting him due to all the dead wood that needs to be cut after coming out of trade sanctions but he'd have to be in the mix though to be fair, about 6 players will survive delisting this year who simply should get the arse from the club...and yeah, 74 would more than likely do it but I guess at that number, maybe a player swap is more likely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would Richard Douglas fetch on the trade table? Was in the All Australian 40 last year, 27 years old, would be a great pick up for a premiership contender.

Has he done anything in 2 years at AFL Level?

I don't reckon O'Rourke has even done much at NEAFL level and that's not a great standard of competition.

Pick 2 may have flattered him, reckon there won't be too many offers anywhere near that number if he is on the move to Vic. GWS are fair traders, they'll take the best offer regardless of the pick. O'Rourke could end up as part of a package deal involving more than one GWS player and a swapping of picks.

I don't reckon O'Rourke has even done much at NEAFL level and that's not a great standard of competition.

Pick 2 may have flattered him, reckon there won't be too many offers anywhere near that number if he is on the move to Vic. GWS are fair traders, they'll take the best offer regardless of the pick. O'Rourke could end up as part of a package deal involving more than one GWS player and a swapping of picks.
I think Hawthorn would offer its first round pick (high teens) for O'Rourke, we haven't been able to get top end draft talent in years. His skill set would compliment our grunt young mids like Langford, Shiels, Anderson, Woodward and Hallahan. The problem is he would need to nominate us, the issue is he wouldn't be an immediate walk up start in our best 22.

What would Richard Douglas fetch on the trade table? Was in the All Australian 40 last year, 27 years old, would be a great pick up for a premiership contender.
Wouldn't be opposed to getting Douglas, maybe Wanganeen and our 3rd rounder?

Surely you're taking the piss? A nobody and Pick 55ish?
To be honest he would just be a depth player, and would only squeeze out a Simpkin type player. What do you think he is worth, Saints wouldn't offer their 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back