Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

On the weekend a few bomber fans noticed the lack of a "tall" medium defender. What would James Gwilt cost St. Kilda fans?
Is Gwilt mobile enough for that role? He's only 1cm taller than Hibberd and I'd much rather a taller faster player in that role although Gwilt may gain pace if he lost some weight.
He's not lightning but he isn't slow. He may only be 188cm but he plays taller than that, and his kicking is sublime
I reckon clubs would be mad to not have a really good look at Gwilt if they were after someone to play that 3rd or ideally "4th tall defender" role. I posted this following post on our board a few weeks ago, when someone asked what role he should play for us, so I'll cut and paste it here and change a few bits so it will make sense here:

"How about on the "mediums", which he is? He's 188cm and started off his AFL career playing on the wing and flanks. How about the role he was playing when he was at his peak, like in the 2nd half of 2010 (in that finals series, for instance, when he had 20 or more possies in all 4 of our finals- including 2 GF's and a prelim), or the following year, when he would have been very high up in our B&F voting until he did his knee, again getting over 20 possies and taking strong intercept marks most weeks?

By the time he did his knee he was near enough to our top 5 for that year to that point, IMO and he showed then that he is very well suited to a role at AFL level and that is the sort of role I'd love to see him get back to playing for us, now that he hopefully doesn't need to play on the "gorillas" any more.

He could play on the likes of Chris Mayne (188cm), Stewart Crameri (189cm), Jack Darling (191cm), Jack Gunstan (193cm), Tom Lynch (Adelaide version, 192cm), Tyson Goldsack (193cm), Jeremy Howe (190cm), Adam Goodes (192cm), Jake Stringer (191cm), etc. Pretty much anyone between about 185cm and 193cm who isn't super quick and nimble and who doesn't play a genuine key forward role.

He had the year off with his knee reco and then it apparently took up until about this most recent preseason for him to be back to pretty much full mobility and to get his speed back again, so I don't see why he won't be able to get back to playing that role to a very high level again, especially if he's now able to slim down a bit again, due to not being required to play on the Travis Cloke's and Tom Hawkins of the AFL any more.

As I said in the preseason, I'd really love it if we just got him to hit the track and build up his running game again and lose some of the substantial bulk he's added in recent years, so that he can play more of a rebounding/intercepting game across HB again. He's very, very strong overhead, reads the play well, is experienced, was quick when he wasn't so heavy, is going to lose very few 1-on-1's to anyone around his size (even if he slims down a touch) and of course has a much better and longer kick than most.

If we don't think he is worth keeping though (ie. lose him through FA, to get the compo pick, BJ and Dal-style), because we already have Fisher, Dempster and Gilbo back there for experience and want to get games into the younger ones like Roberton, Webster, Wright and Acres, I reckon some of the clubs in premiership contention would be nuts to not have a very good look at him, if he enters free agency this year. In a good team especially, he can be bloody handy at a minimum down back and of course has plenty of big finals experience (and good games personally in those games) and a cool head."

The "problem" that we have is that if we were at full strength, it would be extremely hard to fit everyone in our backline in, that is good enough to be playing consistently at the level. With all of Fisher, Delaney, Gwilt, Dempster, Gilbert, Roberton, Geary, Newnes, Webster, Wright and now Savage (that's 11 of them, minimum) good enough to be playing there (either because they are genuine best 22 now, or for their development), something looks like it will have to give, as there simply aren't enough spots there for all of them.

I personally wouldn't want to lose him, especially since the compo pick likely wouldn't be equal to what he is worth, as I see no reason why he couldn't get back to his best if he returned to his old role (ie, not playing key defence!), but from other club's perspective, I'd certainly be having a bloody good look at him for sure.

Last edited:

2 players I'm interested in:

Port fans our second round pick for Tom Cluery?

And what would the pies have to give up for Will Hoskin-Elliot? I imagine they wouldn't let him go cheaply. Like the cut of his jib. He would work well for us IMO

2 players I'm interested in:

And what would the pies have to give up for Will Hoskin-Elliot? I imagine they wouldn't let him go cheaply. Like the cut of his jib. He would work well for us IMO

Sidebottom esq I feel. ….. They will want quality based on his draft position and his performance to date. High ceiling going forward. Its nuts but they grade so high and you can see why. They don't want bit fillers and certainly not high picks (they have plenty of them) They need harness now and would want the world im sure.

Go Catters

We don't have anywhere near enough talls on our list to be trading Cluery. He's the only developing key defender outside our best 22 at the moment. Whatever pick we traded him for would have to be used to draft a replacement and that's essentially just stepping back two years.

As far as I know he is out of contract, though we all thought the same about Mason Shaw and it turns out he signed for an extra year when drafted.

As an absolute hypothetical, 12 months on and you are GWS and Western Bulldogs recruiters sitting down for a coffee.

Would you do a straight swap Boyd for Bonti?
I think Bonts has basically made himself untouchable. I would like the Dogs to trade their first rounder 5-7 plus Hrovat or Stringer to GWS for either Boyd or Patton. I see it as a win both ways. I like both Hrovat and Stringman but if you want a big deal to occur then sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

I think it'd be the other way around. GWS have a number of quality key position prospects and could afford to lose one for a freakish prospect in Bontempelli.

The Dogs won't sell The Bont under any circumstances, though. He's almost already our most marketable player.

Doubt we would, tbh. Macca wouldn't trade a young, very talented player that he's developed/developing who wants to stay.

With Cameron, Boyd and Patton among others I see where you are comming from. I still think though they would like to hold on to the three main ones if possible. Bont would be welcomed at any club and as I stated will be a gun.
However if the dogs had the chance to secure Boyd for Bont surely they would take it. From what I saw the other night V cats he looks like he will be unbelievable as a key forward. Such a big unit already.

With Cameron, Boyd and Patton among others I see where you are comming from. I still think though they would like to hold on to the three main ones if possible. Bont would be welcomed at any club and as I stated will be a gun.
However if the dogs had the chance to secure Boyd for Bont surely they would take it. From what I saw the other night V cats he looks like he will be unbelievable as a key forward. Such a big unit already.
He looks like being a good key forward, but you can't give away players like Bontempelli. It robs us of an outstanding player with marketability through the roof, that loves and wants to play for the club, just to alleviate another need.

We'd certainly have to give a lot away to secure Boyd, but that's not a trade we'd explore or agree to, by any means.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonti is seriously overrated and would do the trade without second thoughts especially if the trade was for Cameron

Geez. I know Lids has been out of form this year, struggling with an achilles, but he's one of our best 2 players in full flight, not to mention he's our VC. Would need significantly more than that.

Yeah fair enough, perhaps taking advantage a little.
Im sure there is room for a Delideo / Suckling and some extra there tho (2nd rounder was a bit of an insult)

Do you have a trade in mind that would get it done.
Keep in mind Hill is off the table as that seems to be the first guy other teams are going for

Bonti is seriously overrated and would do the trade without second thoughts especially if the trade was for Cameron

Bontempelli is NOT over rated.

His future ceiling is unbelievable.

His physique will be Koutifides like and he looks like he already has the temperament and mindset of an elite player.

He is going to be elite. You rarely see someone make you go wow so consistently so early, and yet with so much scope as well. Remember he is a December pup. Born 2 weeks later and he would still be playing TAC Cup this year.

6"5, roaming, marking, setting up, goalkicking, match winning machine.

Guys, what do you think Andrew Walker, Kane Lucas or Matt Watson are worth on the table? I would say Walker might be 20-30, Lucas and Watson ?40ish

Our second rounder? We would love to have someone who can hit the side of a barn running out of our backline. Especially with the likes of Grimes, McDonald and Terlich currently being our attacking options from defence.
Isn't Malceski an UFA, surely Roos could get him there if Sydney doesn't pay up?

I'd take Mitch Duncan for Selwood in a heartbeat.
Duncan would be exactly what West Coast need, hard body, can play different roles, knows how to get inside and outside ball, kicks goals and takes marks. Much better player than Scelwood.

Bontempelli is NOT over rated.

His future ceiling is unbelievable.

His physique will be Koutifides like and he looks like he already has the temperament and mindset of an elite player.

He is going to be elite. You rarely see someone make you go wow so consistently so early, and yet with so much scope as well. Remember he is a December pup. Born 2 weeks later and he would still be playing TAC Cup this year.

6"5, roaming, marking, setting up, goalkicking, match winning machine.

Reminds me of westhoff with more midfield capability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back