List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

For what it's worth, on the Triple M Adelaide Rush Hour tonight, Dale Lewis and Andrew Jarman both think that Geelong have made the right decision. Both of them can be clowns at times (just ask Clarko about the latter), but they were being serious when assessing the trades, and they believe that it was a poor decision from St.Kilda to trade Stanley as they have very few big men, meanwhile they believe that Geelong will have one of the most potent forward lines in the comp with Clark and now Stanley both signing.

Well there you go!...even they recognised our poor conversion rate in relation to forward entries and our need to make a change.
Yet people want to wallow in the past with a game plan that obviously didn't work, especially when it mattered. Varcoe put in two reasonable games in a whole season yet some are bemoaning his trade for a quality key whom we desperately need.
If that's even near what these changes bring then the Varcoe trade is a blessing.
SC, do you know anything about Bampton?

The team after losing bundy and Varcoe looks slow and big. We will get done for pace if the younger midfielders can't measure up. Kelly , bartel, horlen- smith and Johnson under the pump. We now have a lot of big men on the list. Kersten, walker, Simpson , h Mac , Hawkins, Stanley, Clarke, blicavs, Vardy and brown. The development of walker and kersten could be compromised if we don't get it right.since lonergan wanted to leave we need to think of tall defenders ? Which of the above can do this? They all can't be ruck/ forward!
Yep but Varcoe didn't use his pace anymore and Bundy played only 8 games and not really fast so what's the diff in terms of that? Hartman, Bews, Lang, Thurlow, McCarthy, Jansen etc-these guys in more. Murdo and GHS to step up. Tommy, Clarke, Kersten, Stanley, Blix-all capable of taking marks and kicking goals. A fit Motlop, Duncan, Caddy, Selwood, Johnson, Stokes. I am starting to like the look of it all.

There is no way we can fill it (I was being sarcastic but forgot the :rolleyes: icon). An injury to one of Caddy, Duncan, Selwood, Stokes or SJ and we are screwed.

I actually think they're putting eggs in the Danger basket or incredible amount in the kids (but hey isn't that what half this board whinge about?), but didn't we do that with Vardy and McCarthy?

Huge risk, Huge reward type of guys at the club.
wasnt Johnson, Stokes, Caddy, Motlop, Christensen all injured for large parts of this year with Selwood also carrying an injury for a large part of the year and we werent screwed. just need two less injuries then last year and our midfield will be stronger than last year. not to mention improvement in Guthrie, Caddy, HS etc.

wasnt Johnson, Stokes, Caddy, Motlop, Christensen all injured for large parts of this year with Selwood also carrying an injury for a large part of the year and we werent screwed. just need two less injuries then last year and our midfield will be stronger than last year. not to mention improvement in Guthrie, Caddy, HS etc.
Exactly.

people forget that Ottens was recruited to be nothing but a full forward.

Thats a very valid point that - and he was hot and cold in that position - Bomber saying often - get off his back

I might have my facts wrong - but after that home loss to NM - im pretty sure King got dropped for the Richmond game - and they bit the bullet - put Ottens in the ruck- 15 on the trot - and the rest is history

Clubs selling players for pretty high draft picks - ie Saints strategy of last 2 years - McEvoy who is a decent ruck etc - its also a risky strategy - no guarntees you will improve - Richmond got picks 12 and 16 for Ottens - and both their picks turned out duds - where as Cats got a champion ruckman

probably our most impressive trade in my time following the Cats.
that draft was a bit thin, although Hawthorn picked the eyes out of it; it's probably their equivalent of our '99 or '01 efforts ..

Hawks had picks 2, 5 & 7 though. Our efforts eclipse that easily when you consider the picks we had.

Can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading in here.

I for one think Stanley will be a perfect fit at Geelong. A genuine #2 ruckman.

I've seen so many comments saying 'We already have that type of player - Clark, Vardy, Blicavs' - but I strongly disagree. Clark will be a full time forward, Vardy likewise, while Blicavs will be a winger/half back flanker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen so many comments saying 'We already have that type of player - Clark, Vardy, Blicavs' - but I strongly disagree. Clark will be a full time forward, Vardy likewise, while Blicavs will be a winger/half back flanker.
Listen to this interview on SEN with Stanley's manager Scott Lucas, particularly just after a minute, has implications for Stanley and Blicavs.

The only thing that gives me hope with our trading this off season is that the Cats have pretty firm in principle deals with either or both Danger & Scooter for next year. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! Although that does put us in a risky position for 2015.

All I can think is thank god we haven't gone after Spudmakers yet. I have a cold sweat every time I see his name mentioned and pray that it isn't quickly followed by "Geelong in talks with Hawks with pick 14 for key defender"...

Listen to this interview on SEN with Stanley's manager Scott Lucas, particularly just after a minute, has implications for Stanley and Blicavs.

Cheers, hadn't heard that yet :thumbsu:

Pretty much confirms what I've said there though - Blicavs will play at half back, Stanley as a mobile #2 ruck. Why are people complaining about this?

Look I agree with you a point but there are some issues. Firstly we are not going to be playing Hawk, Clark, Vardy Blitz and Stanley in the same side, plus 3 KPD's, too tall. So we will have a lot of talls in the vfl.

Secondly I agree with you, Stanley is a better second ruck than all the ones we have? The question is however, is a marginal upgrade on second ruck, where we effectively not have 4 or 5 players who can play a role you only need one or two for, yet none of them can capably play a position we have basically no options for in 1st ruck. Now I know you are Simpson's biggest fan but even you have to concede as a ruckman, after 3 back surgeries in 18 months he is about as much of a longshot as Menzel at this point. And hmac we all know his history, heading into what will be his last year. So the question is, if Simpson and Hmac are unavailable all year, which has a reasonable chance of happening, do you believe Stanley plus Blicavs and Clark can carry the ruck? If the answer is no it's not a good trade.

This is no rag on Stanley, he is talented and I have hopes for him, it's just the list management aspect of it that many disagree with (and I support them). We needed a first ruck a heck of a lot more than we needed a second, and that's what the best use of #21 would have been.

Anyway it's done now so let's support Stanley and hope he succeeds.

Cheers, hadn't heard that yet :thumbsu:

Pretty much confirms what I've said there though - Blicavs will play at half back, Stanley as a mobile #2 ruck. Why are people complaining about this?
Blicavs would be the tallest hb flanker in the league??, I'm thinking more KPD as a long term option for him.

Honestly do not know how we are going to fit all of Blicavs, Clark, Stanley, Vardy and Hawkins in the one side, alongside Taylor, Rivers, Lonergan and Mackie in the back half.

I see Vardy being eased back into football at vfl level, acl injuries can take time to start playing well again especially for taller players (Schoenmakers).

Look I agree with you a point but there are some issues. Firstly we are not going to be playing Hawk, Clark, Vardy Blitz and Stanley in the same side, plus 3 KPD's, too tall. So we will have a lot of talls in the vfl.

Forget about the defenders for a second, and isolate Stanley, Clark and Vardy. This combination is very similar to various others throughout the competition:

2015 Geelong:
McIntosh, Stanley
Hawkins, Clark, Vardy

Hawthorn's 2013 Grand Final side:
Hale, Bailey
Franklin, Roughead, Gunston

Sydney's 2014 preliminary final side:
Pyke, Tippett
Franklin, Reid, Goodes

Fremantle's 2014 semi final side:
Sandilands, Clarke
Pavlich, Taberner, Mayne

West Coast's 2014 Round 23 side:
Naitanui, Lycett
Kennedy, Darling, McGovern

As for Blicavs - he'll share games with the older guys. Whether that's as a rebounding defender, playing instead of Enright, Mackie, and at times Rivers - or as a KPD - playing at times instead of Lonergan and Rivers. One way or another he'll play a full season there.

Blicavs would be the tallest hb flanker in the league??
Why not? There's a first time for everything. He's shown he can play stints as a midfielder - why not do the same off half back? He's just as quick and agile as most other Enright/Mackie types throughout the competition - having an extra 8-10cm can hardly be a bad thing, can it?

I'm thinking more KPD as a long term option for him.
I don't really mind either way, but just going off the clip you posted before -

"Will Blicavs play KPD?"
"I think you'll see him playing some kind of role down that end of the ground."

A simple 'yes' would have made more sense if KPD was in the works, surely? Had third tall / flank written all over it if you ask me.

*I may be reading too far into this

with Stanley as second ruck and filling in for Vardy

think Walker might have to become more versatile
the back defense for Walker?

with Stanley as second ruck and filling in for Vardy

think Walker might have to become more versatile
the back defense for Walker?
Don't understand what you mean by this... Vardy was only ever played as a second ruck because McIntosh, Simpson and West were all injured. Vardy's position in in the forward 50.

Walker might have to become more acquainted with the VFL...

Why not? There's a first time for everything. He's shown he can play stints as a midfielder - why not do the same off half back? He's just as quick and agile as most other Enright/Mackie types throughout the competition - having an extra 8-10cm can hardly be a bad thing, can it?
In the air - no it can't be a bad thing, on the ground is completely different. I wouldn't necessarily say he's 'quick' either, his strength is endurance, a trait useful for CHB as they can be dragged up the ground at times (like Riewoldt does). I'm not saying definitively that Blicavs will become a KPD as I think Brown and Walker are future candidates as well as they have both just gone down even further in the forward pecking order.

I just don't see Blicavs being a hbf. I'm not 100% sold on him as a winger either as the last game I went to, I saw him get toweled up on the wing.

So in summary, personally for me Blicavs is a second ruck or KPD long term. The arrival of Stanley and the subsequent comments by Lucas and huddo on SEN today suggest the club may be starting to think the latter is an option going forward.

Don't understand what you mean by this... Vardy was only ever played as a second ruck because McIntosh, Simpson and West were all injured. Vardy's position in in the forward 50.

Walker might have to become more acquainted with the VFL...

its late that is why can t get message across
I don't think Vardy will be up and ready for a while
Stanley will have to be Vardy till he comes back

Walker might have to turn himself into a defender if he wishes to have a long career at GFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back