List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

One wonders if Stanley will be developed into a fullback...
From everything I've heard he lacks footy smarts.
Might ended up there one day maybe I guess.

Wouldn't think so short term.

The more I read the more impressive he seems, more so than Mitch Clark, pity we couldn't scratch that first deal.

I am still not sold that our #1 Ruck problem is now solved or improved in anyway, I hope and really hope he can take the number 1 spot, or big Dawson gets over all his injury woes and leaps a notch or two, yeah big hope that one.

That's what we need now VC,... for you to go on down and educate him, bet he'd be wrapped to hear from you!
Couldn't teach anyone about footy smarts Meto.
I was always where the footy aint. If I wasn't a runner I would have never got a touch. But if you run around in circles enough it's bound to come to you sooner or later :D

I was always where the footy aint. If I wasn't a runner I would have never got a touch. But if you run around in circles enough it's bound to come to you sooner or later :D

Gee you're a likeable dag!

On his highlights package , he would be an early pick at his height...

Forgetting our list and the cost he is very talented tall. Ironically picked deep in 2008. Interesting to compare to Brown.

The issues I have in doing this ...after Clark , after losing 5 Mids off the list with a good chance with more to come and using 21 on him.
That he cost 21 is not so much the issue if we had enough mids..I still think we are short.

And where does he play. If we can change him into a ruckman he could be a huge win. If he fails at this then he will be another Brown where juggle him looking for a spot

Last edited:
Balmey on SEN just now was indicating that they think Stanley has a big upside and likely brought it as risk mitigation for the ruck situation with obvious injury concerns around HMac, Simpson and Vardy. But didn't rule out playing forward either
If we traded pick 21 to bring in a kid with durability issues as a "risk-mitigation strategy for the ruck situation", then I think we have messed this up badly.

Giles, for a 3rd rounder, would be a risk-mitigation for the ruck.

I am hopeful that Balme was just making a lazy comment there, perhaps in response to a specific question.

As a defender - We need one to come thru, but all the posts from Saints fans I have seen range from "shaky down back" to "don't do it!"
As a ruck - We are in desperate need of a good #1 ruck, and this kid might become that, but durability is an issue. Familiar story.
As a forward - Seems the most natural fit, but where does he play with TH and MC already in the F50. He is no Gunston/Goodes type.

So far, so uninspiring...

I think Stanley could prove the better trade than Clarke . Hope they both perform well, because let's face it the talls at Geelong are below average or injury prone. H Mac , Simpson , Vardy , kersten and walker. Blicavs as a defender? Has to learn how to defend first and how to use his body and position himself!! Could be ugly!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck with him guys.
Pretty pissed we put in the hard yards with him and finally got him to 50 games and traded him.
He's better than you think, and should get a lot better.
P.s he's terrible down back. Very good in the ruck/around the ground. Good up forward.
I don't think we will use him down back.
Surprised you let him go to be honest, after Reiwoldt who else you got it to kick too?

I struggled to touch the ball for completely different reasons. I played hbf in a side that rarely conceded points, I think one year of u14's i played, the opposition score was 0.0.0 in about half our games. You sort of lose interest very quick in situations like that.

out of curiosity, why did the coaching staff assign to some of the biggest forwards in the game like Cloke for instance?
Having watched that game, he did better than I expected for 3 quarters before Collingwood's midfield began to run riot and pump Cloke with one-on-one opportunities in which case Stanley let Cloke boot 3 goals in the space of 10 mins.

Always find it interesting how certain coaches try and develop players. They either like to throw them straight into the deep end (without a life jacket) or some prefer to slowly drift them into that position sporadically throughout the year/s.
This was during Scott Watters crazy time at the club. We tried and failed miserably at recruiting a key defender that offseason (picks 24&25 for Mitch Brown was luckily rejected) so we literally had no one else. Fisher & Gilbert were injured and Dawson was gone. One game we had Gwilt playing on Tippett. Stanley did ok, you have to give him credit for having a go, but after we got Delaney & Bruce last year it allowed Stanley forward & into the ruck where he definitely is at his best.

I don't think we will use him down back.
Surprised you let him go to be honest, after Reiwoldt who else you got it to kick too?
Riewoldt has 2 years left. After 2 years that should be another 30-40 games into White, Lee, Bruce & Membrey who we'll get in the psd. Siposs & Markworth also above 190 but more lead up 3rd talls. I actually don't see our key forwards as our problem, it's definitely our midfield that needs work.

I am warming fast to this kid. If we can get him playing well in a role that suits him, then we may look back on the trade as a great deal for the Cats.

Says all the right things , now just pull out all stops over the PS and lock his spot in the side and maybe 21 is not a bad price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back