List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

Get him to 100kg and I'll be happy, if he can give Murdoch a run for his money he's a weapon.
Why the weight focus? Some just don't wear it well.
If he gets to 100 kg he could well lose his elite speed. We don't want another Vardy.

If he gets to 100 kg he could well lose his elite speed. We don't want another Vardy.

I was thinking much the same. That the extra weight could be an impediment to his ability to burn off the opposition in the contest. And his speed is a real weapon.

I think Stanley will go to another level with the Cats... he'll be a dangerous third tall option in the fwd line, esp as a marking target in the 50m arc and provide ruck relief.

I was thinking much the same. That the extra weight could be an impediment to his ability to burn off the opposition in the contest. And his speed is a real weapon.

Not to mention the extra stress on his knees of twisting and turning with an extra 10kg onboard.

WE have so many now around that height , be nice to put them all in a picture. Him standing next to Simpson would sort it out.
Unless he stands in his normal hunched over pose.

He's possibly at or about the 100kg mark now, as we know there are discrepancies with heights, so I imagine this is also likely with weight.
As TC says, we'll get to know more when they're lined up,...... don't they measure and weight them every year?

He's possibly at or about the 100kg mark now, as we know there are discrepancies with heights, so I imagine this is also likely with weight.
As TC says, we'll get to know more when they're lined up,...... don't they measure and weight them every year?
I'm sure they do, but also sure that information is not always automatically passed on and recorded where we can access the info,they wouldn't see us a need to know and it's not so any thing you see should just be treated as a guide.

Hope he becomes a Ryder type for us.
It wont happen over night but in time maybe.
I know we were specifically trying to find an earlier draft pick to secure Wright, alas it didn't eventuate, so I wonder whether we'll now still draft him if he does fall, bearing in mind that we traded to bring Stanley to the club.

I personally wouldn't pass, nor do I think the club will either, but it'd certainly change their thought processes as guys like him don't come around too often.

In saying that, I'd be surprised if GWS passed up the opportunity.

Wright could be Lobbe mk2^^.
He could well be Ottens MK2 as well. I'd find it hard to pass up a player which such talent, particularly when we're screaming out for a player of his ilk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we were specifically trying to find an earlier draft pick to secure Wright, alas it didn't eventuate, so I wonder whether we'll now still draft him if he does fall, bearing in mind that we traded to bring Stanley to the club.

I personally wouldn't pass, nor do I think the club will either, but it'd certainly change their thought processes as guys like him don't come around too often.

In saying that, I'd be surprised if GWS passed up the opportunity.

He could well be Ottens MK2 as well. I'd find it hard to pass up a player which such talent, particularly when we're screaming out for a player of his ilk.

SOG , just referenced that in another thread. It would be one hell of a trade and draft period for us if drafted him in after Stanley and Clark. Could we offer him enough chances to not end up trying to fend off other clubs? If Hawkins went down , and Vardy , Hamc and Simpson stay at their levels of durability will we be sorry we didn't draft him.

I thought picking our #10 was difficult before when we were debating Lever, Durdin and Goddard V Weller and any other mids. Now add a 203 cm forward who could be a future Ottens.. I wonder if the Dogs would have sold tehir soul to get Boyd if they knew they could have drafted him

SOG , just referenced that in another thread. It would be one hell of a trade and draft period for us if drafted him in after Stanley and Clark. Could we offer him enough chances to not end up trying to fend off other clubs? If Hawkins went down , and Vardy , Hamc and Simpson stay at their levels of durability will we be sorry we didn't draft him.

I thought picking our #10 was difficult before when we were debating Lever, Durdin and Goddard V Weller and any other mids. Now add a 203 cm forward who could be a future Ottens.. I wonder if the Dogs would have sold tehir soul to get Boyd if they knew they could have drafted him

I think we could retire HMac amicably and move forward with a 10 year 200+ game ruckman, I'd have no problems with that.

I think we could retire HMac amicably and move forward with a 10 year 200+ game ruckman, I'd have no problems with that.

Especially in this thread , Hamc is irrelevant . He will be gone. But where do we play te other falls , and could we play a kid at 203 ( and growing) as a key forward in prefernce to Stanley/Clark/Vardy. Id say Wright we be looking at 2 years of VFL...but what will Stanley role be?

I already think we've nailed this trade period, much to the amusement of others, but Wright would be the icing on the cake....he's seriously that good. I'm sure Wright would be well aware that he'll eventually get his chance at Geelong if he was selected with pick 10, and it's probably a little different to the Grundy situation, as I didn't rate Grundy back then and I still don't....we made the right call.(I'd love to find that thread back when Grundy was drafted as I was in argument with someone on this board about him) This is an entirely different matter. Wright has more talent and will become the better player. That I have no doubt. In saying that, I still think this debate is rather somewhat pointless as the clubs who have the first 8 picks couldn't be that silly.
Just envisage how important players like wright are to a sides structure. (you're obviously already aware) and It's fair to say that without Ottens, 07 would be a distant memory in line with 08 as failures of epic proportions, maybe even 09. With Ottens, we may have even won the 2013, 2014 premierships. That's how important guys like him are. I'm not saying Wright is on par with Ottens, that would be naive, but he's an immense talent and plays a role we're bereft of talent in. These types can win you premierships.

Especially in this thread , Hamc is irrelevant . He will be gone. But where do we play te other falls , and could we play a kid at 203 ( and growing) as a key forward in prefernce to Stanley/Clark/Vardy. Id say Wright we be looking at 2 years of VFL

I really can't say how they'd go about it, but one thing I know, I'd like us to have that problem.
Let's just say we'd work through it. ....It probably won't happen you'd think.

SOG, it was probably me!

Especially in this thread , Hamc is irrelevant . He will be gone. But where do we play te other falls , and could we play a kid at 203 ( and growing) as a key forward in prefernce to Stanley/Clark/Vardy. Id say Wright we be looking at 2 years of VFL...but what will Stanley role be?
Stanley will play the ruck/forward role while HMac and Simpson are still there and Wright's developing his game at VFL level. Having so many options is a good thing for the club.

Just think, this season we were crying out to have a plethora of forward/ruck options, now we're somewhat bemoaning the fact.

SOG, it was probably me!
It wasn't you meto, it was someone who watched a lot of his junior games and was someone from his area.

If he is already 100kgs as you suspect then why would we want any more meat on him to weigh him down? I often notice how much Dawson Simpson labours when he has to run to a contest being the big lump of a kid that he is.

If he is already 100kgs as you suspect then why would we want any more meat on him to weigh him down? I often notice how much Dawson Simpson labours when he has to run to a contest being the big lump of a kid that he is.
Simpson is as slow as treacle, and I'd beat him in a 50 meter sprint whilst I was crawling backwards....that's how slow he is. Maybe it's his back issues weighing him down, because he was always slow but it wasn't that profound.

I'm in total agreement, he's now moving into a mature phase of his early career, we can expect natural improvement in his physical capacities.

It's all good, we got him at just the right time!

I'm sure they do, but also sure that information is not always automatically passed on and recorded where we can access the info,they wouldn't see us a need to know and it's not so any thing you see should just be treated as a guide.

The Cats official page is not reliable when it comes to updating the weight and height of players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back