Mega Thread Trade Targets 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah because we are going to give you the 6th best 18 year old in the country for your third tall or a guy outside your best 22..

Mitchel is only outside our best 22 because he is behind Kennedy, Jack and Parker who are all extremely good inside players. He isn't far behind them either. Mitchell is very unlucky not to be in the first team but make no mistake. He would be in the best 22 easily at 17 other clubs (maybe 16 as I am not sure about Hawthorn). If he can get his injuries sorted you would be getting a player who can average in the high 20's disposal wise and who tackles like there is no tomorrow.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Mitchel is only outside our best 22 because he is behind Kennedy, Jack and Parker who are all extremely good inside players. He isn't far behind them either. Mitchell is very unlucky not to be in the first team but make no mistake. He would be in the best 22 easily at 17 other clubs (maybe 16 as I am not sure about Hawthorn). If he can get his injuries sorted you would be getting a player who can average in the high 20's disposal wise and who tackles like there is no tomorrow.
A sydney player should know that if theyre outside the best 22 - for whatever reason, a players value is lower. See Josh Kennedy and how he ended up at your club.

Mitchell deserves best 22 time, and best 22 money - which you cannot give him, and therefore he can come to us, at a fair price - again see JPK

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
A sydney player should know that if theyre outside the best 22 - for whatever reason, a players value is lower. See Josh Kennedy and how he ended up at your club.

Mitchell deserves best 22 time, and best 22 money - which you cannot give him, and therefore he can come to us, at a fair price - again see JPK

There are a lot of similarities between Mitchell now and Kennedy then I will grant you that. There are differences though and those differences are important. They include

- Mitchell has already proven himself in the AFL as a player (Kennedy hadn't)
- The Swans know what we have (Hawthorn didn't)
- The Swans appreciate Mitchell's talent (Hawthorn didn't appreciate Kennedy's as they only offered him a 1 year contract)

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
There are a lot of similarities between Mitchell now and Kennedy then I will grant you that. There are differences though and those differences are important. They include

- Mitchell has already proven himself in the AFL as a player (Kennedy hadn't)
- The Swans know what we have (Hawthorn didn't)
- The Swans appreciate Mitchell's talent (Hawthorn didn't appreciate Kennedy's as they only offered him a 1 year contract)
If Sydney's idea of respect is dropping a guy after 29 disposals and a mountain of tackles then I must be unfamiliar with respect, and I feel Mitchell will feel the same

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
If Sydney's idea of respect is dropping a guy after 29 disposals and a mountain of tackles then I must be unfamiliar with respect, and I feel Mitchell will feel the same

I did not really agree with the decision to drop him either but unlike Kennedy everyone knows what Mitchell can do in the AFL and everyone knows he is only going to get better. Can you be sure of drafting someone at pick 6 who will average in the high 20's in disposals and will be super hard at the contest in the packs because that is what you would be getting with Mitchell. Could you be sure of getting a player like that in the draft?

The Flying Doormat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2008
Carrickalinga
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tranmere Rovers
We should be throwing $1m a season at danger and hope we snag Mitchell aswell.. That fixes our inside mids issue and then we just need to try jag Jaksch..

Dr_-Evil-One-Million-Dollars.jpg

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I did not really agree with the decision to drop him either but unlike Kennedy everyone knows what Mitchell can do in the AFL and everyone knows he is only going to get better. Can you be sure of drafting someone at pick 6 who will average in the high 20's in disposals and will be super hard at the contest in the packs because that is what you would be getting with Mitchell. Could you be sure of getting a player like that in the draft?
We can't, but it doesn't mean we'll give up pick #6
There are other determinative points besides where he would go in the draft

1. Salary Cap
2. Playing Opportunity
3. Club Culture
4. Ability
5. Age

Add all the points together and he's not worth giving up pick #6 - not on it's own certainly.

Aug 24, 2010
#underblueskies
AFL Club
Carlton
We can't, but it doesn't mean we'll give up pick #6
There are other determinative points besides where he would go in the draft

1. Salary Cap
2. Playing Opportunity
3. Club Culture
4. Ability
5. Age

Add all the points together and he's not worth giving up pick #6 - not on it's own certainly.

We have to look a little bit longer term I think. It's a bit like the Jack Gunston situation. Hawks wanted to draft him but couldn't, so they waited and got him years later. We make a case for Tom, but even if we don't get him now, we might be able to get him once current contract expires in a couple of years. He's likely to miss this GF and if there's no guarantee Sydney will play in GFs in the next few years. We might be able to get him around 2016 for a lot less if he wants to come to us.

I trust our club to make the right call. I doubt we will give up pick 6 in a one-on-one trade. With any luck this will be the highest pick we get in the next few drafts at least.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
I trust our club to make the right call. I doubt we will give up pick 6 in a one-on-one trade. With any luck this will be the highest pick we get in the next few drafts at least.

Our last top 10 pick for many a year I would hope, barring trading for a high pick! ;)

tencentpiece

All Australian
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
The desperation of Sydney supporters constantly coming on this board trying to get pick 6/7 when they have a grand final to keep them occupied should give you a good indication that nobody is going to offer them anything more for Mitchell. Our best bet is to turn pick 6/7 into Mitchell + a player from Sydney or 6/7 into two first round picks or a late first early second and then onsell that to Sydney for Mitchell.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the club get him for even less. If not, let Mitchell go elsewhere or he can come to us in a few years time. Sydney's list isn't going to change any time soon, if anything they will have more competition for those inside mid spots barring injury. Mitchell is by no means a required player for Carlton and throwing pick 6/7 is extremely short sighted.

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
So, the smart money is on us trading pick 6/7 for 2 picks in the first round and turning those into Jaksch and Mitchell, with a pick still at the end of the 1st round (ie. one of those trades involves a 2nd rounder, or perhaps some sort of 2nd rounder downgrade, or Membrey)? Are we all in agreeance on that?

Aug 24, 2010
#underblueskies
AFL Club
Carlton
Sydney need to cut salary cap, it doesn't matter that he's contracted if the NEED to cut his contract to avoid going over the salary cap.
Obviously we dont knoe exactly what they're salary situation is

But by the sounds of it - they need Mitchell off their list next year - so the fact that he's contracted means nothing

If they play hardball, we'll just say okay we'll talk again next year - sydney panic as they realise they are over the salary cap and come back to talk to us

What does that make number the players discarded by Sydney to get Franklin?

Mitchell is contracted until the end of 2016, I can't see him playing until then in the red and white.

Geez you wouldn't want to lose next week above the obvious want to win, if you're Sydney.

I'm holding out some hope that if we do manage to secure Watts for something that's not over the top, we can transform him into a Westhoff type.

Can't see Watts being of any urgent need.

For us to somehow secure Watts, may suggest we've missed all our targets at the top end. For that reason alone, I hope we don't get Watts.

Big Sim

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
So, the smart money is on us trading pick 6/7 for 2 picks in the first round and turning those into Jaksch and Mitchell, with a pick still at the end of the 1st round (ie. one of those trades involves a 2nd rounder, or perhaps some sort of 2nd rounder downgrade, or Membrey)? Are we all in agreeance on that?
Aye.

Can't see Watts being of any urgent need.

For us to somehow secure Watts, may suggest we've missed all our targets at the top end. For that reason alone, I hope we don't get Watts.

Yep, I'm still holding out a slim hope we are 'buoyed' by our trade targets this off-season.

HalAlaric

All Australian
Aug 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
personally I dont really rate Reid at all

Seems fairly lethargic and pushed off it too easily, just kind of runnig around out there

Would be surprised if hes been in the best in over 5 games in his career
I got to say I don't really agree with you. But I guess that's what forums are for. Your own opinions. I think he would excel under MM and in a new environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back