Mega Thread Trade Targets 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
veeeery sick of the homesickness drama

probably have people who arent for this, but if somebody only wants to come to carlton to get back to victorian football, i wouldnt want them in my team
need that heart and sacrifice and drive and desire to want to put that guernsey on and be proud

i also second the motion we go for membrey, will be an absolute class act when he gets on the field
just becuase tutt may want to come, why does that mean we shoud reshuffle our other trades to accomidate :| same as jones, not too big of a fan and have seen him play enough to see he is not our answer

and queue the hate...

We did alright when we picked up a certain C.Judd;) Yes, he chose us when he got here but his initial move wasn't motivated by playing for us specifically.

chipzac

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
veeeery sick of the homesickness drama

probably have people who arent for this, but if somebody only wants to come to carlton to get back to victorian football, i wouldnt want them in my team
need that heart and sacrifice and drive and desire to want to put that guernsey on and be proud

i also second the motion we go for membrey, will be an absolute class act when he gets on the field
just becuase tutt may want to come, why does that mean we shoud reshuffle our other trades to accomidate :| same as jones, not too big of a fan and have seen him play enough to see he is not our answer

and queue the hate...
I'm warming to the idea of swapping pick 6 for Jaksch + pick 18, and if Membrey will be, as you say, 'a class act' maybe the Swans would swap their pick 36 + Membrey for that pick 18. That would leave us with picks 26 and 36, Jaksch, Membrey, Jones and Tutt (in exchange for later picks) which even without trading Lucas, Robbo and Jeffy, to me, would be quite a haul.
Just on Membrey, I like the thought of picking up a proven (at a lower level, of course) goal kicker, who we don't have too many of (apart from maybe Walker and possibly Menzel).
Now, before you all rip all this to shreds, just remember I'm just another armchair recruiter with nothing better to do right now.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I'm warming to the idea of swapping pick 6 for Jaksch + pick 18, and if Membrey will be, as you say, 'a class act' maybe the Swans would swap their pick 36 + Membrey for that pick 18. That would leave us with picks 26 and 36, Jaksch, Membrey, Jones and Tutt (in exchange for later picks) which even without trading Lucas, Robbo and Jeffy, to me, would be quite a haul.
Just on Membrey, I like the thought of picking up a proven (at a lower level, of course) goal kicker, who we don't have too many of (apart from maybe Walker and possibly Menzel).
Now, before you all rip all this to shreds, just remember I'm just another armchair recruiter with nothing better to do right now.
I really hope our recruiters don't follow this chain of thought.

People on here are getting way to carried away with these trade targets. None of them have proven anything at the top level yet. It's purely a case of one clubs trash being another's treasure on here.

It's Liam Jones not Jack Gunston we are going for, Jason Tutt isn't and never will be Boomer Harvey, Tim Membrey was never rated as the next Jack Darling, and Jaksch is less than 10 games into his career! I know we haven't been that great in the draft but to lose pick 6 to gain Jaksch, Membrey & pick 36 is just crazy thinking.

Aug 25, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
Definitely wouldn't part with 18 for Membrey and 36. I think he's being way overrated just because he wants to return to Victoria. The NEAFL is literally the weakest standard competition and the same knocks still exist on him that saw him drop to pick 46 in his draft year. That being he's an awkward height without the ability to run through the midfield. He is a one trick pony. Let's stick to getting Jaksch and Jones and draft well.

Buckley2Menzel

Debutant
May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Just thinking of trade scenarios...

Would a team, like West Coast for example, take Garlett and Robinson/Lucas for their 2nd pick?
Then we could trade that pick and our own 2nd for a mid first round selection to a team like Adelaide for #10?
On trade #10 to GWS for Jaksch and #18 (from Hawks for O'Rouke)
I don't think we will get anything for Waite, but if we do, use that for Jones (I assume compo would be after our 3rd if we get something?)

Carlton
In: Jaksch, Jones, #18 (and keeping #6 for a gun mid)
Out: Garlett, Robinson/Lucas, #26, Waite Compo or 3rd pick.

West Coast
In: Garlett, Robinson/Lucas
Out: #30

Adelaide
In: #26, #30
Out: #10

GWS
In: #10
Out: Jaksch, O'Rouke (to hawks)

Adelaide might need some convincing haha. But something like this might work?

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I'm not sure if I've missed something living in the UK but is there now 22 on field with 8 starting forwards because the amount some people want us drafting/trading it would need to be that many for them to get a game.

Levi, Henderson, Menzel, Ellard, Jones, Watson, Membrey, Tutt, the swingman Jaksch, not forget the mids running through there and also Kruezer!

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Just thinking of trade scenarios...

Would a team, like West Coast for example, take Garlett and Robinson/Lucas for their 2nd pick?
Then we could trade that pick and our own 2nd for a mid first round selection to a team like Adelaide for #10?
On trade #10 to GWS for Jaksch and #18 (from Hawks for O'Rouke)
I don't think we will get anything for Waite, but if we do, use that for Jones (I assume compo would be after our 3rd if we get something?)

Carlton
In: Jaksch, Jones, #18 (and keeping #6 for a gun mid)
Out: Garlett, Robinson/Lucas, #26, Waite Compo or 3rd pick.

West Coast
In: Garlett, Robinson/Lucas
Out: #30

Adelaide
In: #26, #30
Out: #10

GWS
In: #10
Out: Jaksch, O'Rouke (to hawks)

Adelaide might need some convincing haha. But something like this might work?
Answered it right there. No it won't work because the crows would be getting majorly shafted. You dont give up your mid 1st round for 2 mid 2nd round picks. Not even Freo of the 90s would do this!

Aug 25, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
I'm not sure if I've missed something living in the UK but is there now 22 on field with 8 starting forwards because the amount some people want us drafting/trading it would need to be that many for them to get a game.

Levi, Henderson, Menzel, Ellard, Jones, Watson, Membrey, Tutt, the swingman Jaksch, not forget the mids running through there and also Kruezer!

We won't be going after Membrey IMO.
Jaksch will be used primarily in defence and swap with Hendo or Walker depending on match-ups.
Our forward line will look possibly like this:

CHF: Walker, Henderson, Thomas
FF: Menzel, Casboult, Jones

So we have the three talls combined with three other guys who apply good defensive pressure, play taller than their listed height, and are excellent when the ball hits the ground. Perfectly balanced and deadly forward line.

Edit: It's always good to have depth to come into the team. If that means we see the opportunity to bolster primarily our tall stocks this year then so be it. Just because you can only have 6 forwards on the ground at once doesn't mean you only have 6 forwards on your list!

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
We won't be going after Membrey IMO.
Jaksch will be used primarily in defence and swap with Hendo or Walker depending on match-ups.
Our forward line will look possibly like this:

CHF: Walker, Henderson, Thomas
FF: Menzel, Casboult, Jones

So we have the three talls combined with three other guys who apply good defensive pressure, play taller than their listed height, and are excellent when the ball hits the ground. Perfectly balanced and deadly forward line.

Edit: It's always good to have depth to come into the team. If that means we see the opportunity to bolster primarily our tall stocks this year then so be it. Just because you can only have 6 forwards on the ground at once doesn't mean you only have 6 forwards on your list!
Dont forget Blaine Johnson who looked promising. Cam Giles is another developing KPP on the list and I'm sure with 6-8 picks in the draft & rookie draft we'd nab another few mid/fwd too. MM also highly rates having a defensive forward as part of his 6. Trading for tradings sake is just pointless. Docherty & Everitt had showed 1000x more than any of the names mentioned this year.

EDIT: Forgot about Reynolds being chopped

Aug 25, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
Dont forget Blaine Johnson who looked promising and Luke Reynolds is still on the list as well. Cam Giles is another developing KPP on the list and I'm sure with 6-8 picks in the draft & rookie draft we'd nab another few mid/fwd too. Trading for tradings sake is just pointless unless its for top quality. Docherty & Everitt showed 1000x more than any of the names mentioned year

Reynolds has been delisted. Johnson will be handy depth. Giles is still developing as a key defender but looks promising. I don't think bringing in Jaksch and Jones is trading for readings sake, it's smart trading by bringing in players we need and are in the age range that are ready to have breakout seasons.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Reynolds has been delisted. Johnson will be handy depth. Giles is still developing as a key defender but looks promising. I don't think bringing in Jaksch and Jones is trading for readings sake, it's smart trading by bringing in players we need and are in the age range that are ready to have breakout seasons.
It was more the suggestions of bringing in Membrey/Jones & Jaksch while giving up early picks for them that is crazy. Looking at our side this year our biggest problem is midfield depth not so much our 3rd marking tall in the forward line. The only way to improve that is to keep bringing in quality kids like Cripps & Graham in the draft. Giving up those picks for slight upgrades on Watson & White won't get us anywhere IMO

Aug 25, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
It was more the suggestions of bringing in Membrey/Jones & Jaksch while giving up early picks for them that is crazy. Looking at our side this year our biggest problem is midfield depth not so much our 3rd marking tall in the forward line. The only way to improve that is to keep bringing in quality kids like Cripps & Graham in the draft. Giving up those picks for slight upgrades on Watson & White won't get us anywhere IMO

Jaksch would be rated 12-14th best player if he was in this draft. He will be quality and we will get a good deal for him. I still doubt pick 6 will be involved but if it is I trust the CFC staff knowledge of the draft over posters on bigfooty. While we can all have an opinion, they would know much more than us. Jones will cost our 3rd rounder so no big deal. We will still have a first round pick to draft a young mid like Laverde so I think everyone needs to cool their jets and let the CFC take care of business because as much as we all want to pretend like we know what's best for our list, Rogers and co will make the decisions.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I keep hearing this Johnson guy looks the goods.

What have I missed? At what point did Johnson look promising? What game did he play where he didn't appear to be every inch Wiggins 2.0?
15 touches & 9 marks in his second game at just 18 is something I'm sure Chief never managed at that age! That along with some positive performances as a high half forward in a poor VFL side for a first year player is promising

Sep 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I keep hearing this Johnson guy looks the goods.

What have I missed? At what point did Johnson look promising? What game did he play where he didn't appear to be every inch Wiggins 2.0?

Johnson was good against St Kilda.

Struggled a bit against the likes of Freo, Sydney and Port away. Anyway Johnson is just a first year player who debuted after strong VFL performances. It's far too earlier to write him off.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Jaksch would be rated 12-14th best player if he was in this draft. He will be quality and we will get a good deal for him. I still doubt pick 6 will be involved but if it is I trust the CFC staff knowledge of the draft over posters on bigfooty. While we can all have an opinion, they would know much more than us. Jones will cost our 3rd rounder so no big deal. We will still have a first round pick to draft a young mid like Laverde so I think everyone needs to cool their jets and let the CFC take care of business because as much as we all want to pretend like we know what's best for our list, Rogers and co will make the decisions.
If pick 6 isn't involved I'm all for it. If for some reason it isn't good enough for GWS then go for Membrey and have Lachie play down back. Jaksch over having the chance to pick up one of these guys who could slip through Brayshaw, McMartin, Durdin, Laverde ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back