Society/Culture Tradies get 26 RDOs a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I was watching a tv show the other day that said the average tradie gets 26 RDOs a year. This is over five weeks a year. If this is the case why do teachers get so much flak over how many holidays they get when in fact it's not a whole lot more than many other jobs?

I was watching a tv show the other day that said the average tradie gets 26 RDOs a year. This is over five weeks a year. If this is the case why do teachers get so much flak over how many holidays they get when in fact it's not a whole lot more than many other jobs?
I didn't know that. Found a link that they do receive the 25 RDOs, and the Government is trying to reduce it.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...rades-union-says/story-fni0fit3-1227036548974

I think in general, people view physical labour as much harder than teaching. So, in general will support it more.
There are a lot of misconceptions around teaching, and people don't believe it's a difficult job.

Off-topic, but this sounds a bit ridiculous!!
The code bans companies that sign union-friendly pay deals from bidding for lucrative government contracts, including major projects such as the East West Link.

I think in general, people view physical labour as much harder than teaching. So, in general will support it more.
There are a lot of misconceptions around teaching, and people don't believe it's a difficult job.
Certainly physical labour is more taxing but people who don't believe teaching is a difficult job need to spend an hour in a classroom with 25 hormonal teenagers, many from dysfunctional and disturbed home environments.

Certainly physical labour is more taxing but people who don't believe teaching is a difficult job need to spend an hour in a classroom with 25 hormonal teenagers, many from dysfunctional and disturbed home environments.
Also am pretty sure teachers don't get given free time when it is hot either.

Or the fact that most teachers do some work during their holidays whereas tradies are free to do as they please in their time off.

I didn't know that. Found a link that they do receive the 25 RDOs, and the Government is trying to reduce it.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...rades-union-says/story-fni0fit3-1227036548974

Off-topic, but this sounds a bit ridiculous!!

I think teachers do it a bloody dam site harder than most people realise. At least in Government schools. Teachers have to handle so many kids with issues nowdays. They are also criticised by gutless politicians who see them as a soft target to blame & ridicule. I think it causes a lot of mental strain that most of us just dont appreciate.
So many kids have behavioral issues & still others think its clever to be smart arses. The Bart Simpson effect.
We see so many people of all ages come through the health system. So many of them have such rude & shithouse arrogant attitudes & manners. Thats parents & kids. I'm sure they get it from watching TV.
Antisocial behavior seems to be ok.
But then again look at the behavior of our political 'betters' they too are a big part of the problem.
Manners arent respected or appreciated.

Reckon they should get more. The Monash is such a pleasure to drive on, relatively, in peak hour when they have their RDO's.

Unless I'm missing something, an RDO comes from doing all your hours (whether it be 35, 38 or 40) in 9 days so you get the 10th day of the working fortnight off. This doesn't work well for teachers for obvious reasons.

Or the fact that most teachers do some work during their holidays whereas tradies are free to do as they please in their time off.
Most tradies work a lot of over time, myself I've basically been working 6 days a week, 10+ hours a day for the last 2 years and usually interstate, I get to save my RDO's though and last week was told we are quiet at work so take thursday, friday and monday off, but tuesday I'm off to Perth for rest of the year working 6 days a week, I'll save my RDO's and take some extra time off over summer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teachers are government employees, tradies are not.

you are aware that it is actually time off in lieu - ie they work additional hours each week and then get additional days off?

Nothing is more important than a good education, and it's hard enough attract quality people to teach anyway. Teacher bashing gives me the shits, it's lazy thinking. Even now, twenty odd years out of high school, I'm lucky enough to have one of my former teachers who acts as a mentor and sounding board to me, he's a quality person who in retirement still gives his time to former students. We need as many people like him in our education system as possible.

Not always. Unfit for work Is unfit for work. When you do physical labour, its no different to sport with injury management.

You cop a few cuts and bruises but every now and then "recovery" takes an extra day or so.

I work through a lot of unreported injuries too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back