Society/Culture Tradies get 26 RDOs a year.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Nothing is more important than a good education, and it's hard enough attract quality people to teach anyway. Teacher bashing gives me the shits, it's lazy thinking. Even now, twenty odd years out of high school, I'm lucky enough to have one of my former teachers who acts as a mentor and sounding board to me, he's a quality person who in retirement still gives his time to former students. We need as many people like him in our education system as possible.
Agreed. It would be great if we could take a leaf out of South Korea's book and lift teaching up as a much more highly regarded profession. The flow on effects to society are huge.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Teacher bashing gives me the shits, it's lazy thinking..

Lazy? A generation of children has been so badly educated by the state that a large % can't write a simple letter without numerous grammatical errors. Basic maths is also beyond most.

Who is to blame for that?

Floor Pie

Cancelled
May 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lazy? A generation of children has been so badly educated by the state that a large % can't write a simple letter without numerous grammatical errors. Basic maths is also beyond most.

Who do you think is to blame?

Have you talked to any teachers who come from different countries, that now teach here?

Saintt

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nothing is more important than a good education, and it's hard enough attract quality people to teach anyway. Teacher bashing gives me the shits, it's lazy thinking. Even now, twenty odd years out of high school, I'm lucky enough to have one of my former teachers who acts as a mentor and sounding board to me, he's a quality person who in retirement still gives his time to former students. We need as many people like him in our education system as possible.
What if they're a bad teacher? If a teacher is doing a bad job, they shouldn't be exempt from criticism.

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was watching a tv show the other day that said the average tradie gets 26 RDOs a year. This is over five weeks a year. If this is the case why do teachers get so much flak over how many holidays they get when in fact it's not a whole lot more than many other jobs?

Realistically why are any of us still working 40 hour weeks anymore?

Productivity has gone up staggering amounts in the past 50 years, why can't we take one or two more days off a week for the same pay? Do offices need to be open 5 days a week? Why not 3?

mottrain

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Productivity has gone up staggering amounts in the past 50 years, why can't we take one or two more days off a week for the same pay? Do offices need to be open 5 days a week? Why not 3?
The reason - You limit people's options which in turn diminishes the productivity of the business.

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
If you work three days a week you limit customer's ability to get access to that business.

Why do customers need 5 days a week to consume though?

Couldn't everyone do their business in 3 days a week and leave the other four for recreation?

If I offered you the chance to be paid the same wage you're earning now, but you only had to work 3 days instead of 5, but you couldn't go shopping during those two days off, would you take it? Would anyone NOT take it? Two paid days off just to promise not to go shopping sounds pretty great to me.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
If I offered you the chance to be paid the same wage you're earning now, but you only had to work 3 days instead of 5, but you couldn't go shopping during those two days off, would you take it? Would anyone NOT take it? Two paid days off just to promise not to go shopping sounds pretty great to me.

Can't buy petrol? Can't buy grog? Can't buy food? Yeah, sounds great.

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't buy petrol? Can't buy grog? Can't buy food? Yeah, sounds great.

You can still buy it, just not during those two paid days off.

I ask again, you wouldn't take up the offer?

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
You can still buy it, just not during those two paid days off.

I ask again, you wouldn't take up the offer?

I'd have to think long and hard about it because there's not much attraction to two days off where you can't buy petrol, can't buy food, can't buy grog, can't go anywhere because nothing is open, let alone get any boring errands done.

mottrain

Premiership Player
Suspended
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Why do customers need 5 days a week to consume though?

Couldn't everyone do their business in 3 days a week and leave the other four for recreation?

No because then you are relying on others to be able to do everything in that same time. What about those that had to work the other 4 days to allow your recreation?

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well then why work 5 days now? Why not work 7?

Everyone would work 3 days instead, some in the early part of the week, some in the late part. But everyone does everything exactly the same as they do now, we just make business hours only 3 days a week instead of 5. That's the only change. And you'd be against it even if it gave you two full days pay to stay at home? I thought right wingers and capitalists believed everyone always acted in their own self interests, but here you are, a right wing person, actively knocking back free money.

I guess all of capitalism is based on a lie when it applies to the real world after all. Maybe those commies were right.

Jade's_

Club Legend
Suspended
May 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Unless I'm missing something, an RDO comes from doing all your hours (whether it be 35, 38 or 40) in 9 days so you get the 10th day of the working fortnight off. This doesn't work well for teachers for obvious reasons.

No place for common sense in this thread... GTFO

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Would every business need to be closed on the same 2 days? Would be more like "Have to drive another 5 minutes to buy petrol?"
If the business week is only 3 days you would need pretty much everything open on those 3 days, otherwise how can businesses contact their suppliers and customers?

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
If the business week is only 3 days you would need pretty much everything open on those 3 days, otherwise how can businesses contact their suppliers and customers?

Different industries different days. Or for basic needs type stuff (pharmacists, groceries) you'd just have stores alternating on different days. Or just have the same stores open all week, but with different staff on with none working more than 3 days. More jobs that way.

In any case, these kindsof discussions are a lot more positive and constructive than whinging about how many RDO's some other worker gets (obviously you feel the same way with your very reasonable explanation of why RDO's exist :thumbsu:)

We probably could, but people want more 'stuff'.

It is interesting to me that when you visit most peoples houses these days they have a lot more things than when i was kid growing up in the 70s. Most 12 year old kids have mobile phones FFS

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
We probably could, but people want more 'stuff'.

It is interesting to me that when you visit most peoples houses these days they have a lot more things than when i was kid growing up in the 70s. Most 12 year old kids have mobile phones FFS

Do agree. Once you start working less, you really do start buying less too. Not out of necessity, just cause you don't need the cheap thrill of purchasing when you have enough time to actually follow your own interests.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

Parents who either can not or will not make the time. Stuff all one teacher can do in a class of 20 or so kids with massive differences in skills. Teach at the middle and hope for the best.

Back