Society/Culture Tradies get 26 RDOs a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, well I have 50 tradies in my family, and they all have a few things in common. They don't start a job after 11am, or after Wednesday. They are always looking for ways to claim compo. The intentionally do a bad job so they have a cash cow to keep coming back to every three months.

Anecdotal evidence.
Not even once!
how do you complete a job get payed for it, get called back for warranty repairs and charge again.

******* you have no idea

I know more about it, than you know about teaching.
I didn't mention warranty repairs.
You talked s**t, so I talked s**t.

Pretty simple.
if a tradesmen does a crap job, he has to come back to fix it, how the hell can he charge twice for a job? the customer claims warranty

you know nothing about teaching or anything in fact
not saying teaching is easy im saying that they have good working conditions, get payed good money, good working hrs & far to much time off

Realistically why are any of us still working 40 hour weeks anymore?

Productivity has gone up staggering amounts in the past 50 years, why can't we take one or two more days off a week for the same pay? Do offices need to be open 5 days a week? Why not 3?

Couldn't agree more. This is the reason I get so confused about people complaining that their job is being replaced by automation.

The goal of any society should be to destroy jobs, not create them. If productivity leads to the same economic output with fewer jobs, everybody wins.

Unless I'm missing something, an RDO comes from doing all your hours (whether it be 35, 38 or 40) in 9 days so you get the 10th day of the working fortnight off. This doesn't work well for teachers for obvious reasons.

...unless I'm missing something here...

Teachers simply "bank" their RDO's, and take them at times that are convenient to everyone else.

Instead of working 9 for one day off, they work 90, for 10 "days off".

Most teachers work a 40 hour week on-site. (8-4). Many do far more.

No 'meal breaks' or often even toilet stops.

Reports are a 20 hour commitment 4 times a year - average 2 hours a week.

Expectations of professional learning and development - another 50 hours a year.

Curriculum development and planning - probably 5 hours a week.

Senior teachers, subject leaders, grade leaders, etc - another 5-10 hours a week.

40 weeks x 50 hours = 2000 hours.

Coincidentally, that's also 50 weeks and 40 hours - your "normal" FT job.

I used to be a teacher.

Now I only work 60 hours a week, and usually have my weekends to myself.

One day I'll get my wife back.

All the tradies I know work for themselves, so where are the 26 RDOs coming from?
THese tend to be the big project site and union connected trades people and actually not the self funded ones. Hence why when they work with these types they get shitty sometimes with them that they don't conform to union mandates.

Couldn't agree more. This is the reason I get so confused about people complaining that their job is being replaced by automation.

The goal of any society should be to destroy jobs, not create them. If productivity leads to the same economic output with fewer jobs, everybody wins.

As long as the rich acknowledge they need to share and play nice, yes I agree.

I suspect your confusion is due to the difference between what you think should happen and the reality of the situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was watching a tv show the other day that said the average tradie gets 26 RDOs a year. This is over five weeks a year. If this is the case why do teachers get so much flak over how many holidays they get when in fact it's not a whole lot more than many other jobs?
Yes once a fortnight!!!!!! Its called a 9 day fortnight you get a day off, or its called an RDO , or an ADO accrued day off.
Teachers and their holidays is bulldust!

I have a family member who is a primary teacher and works half the holidays preparing for next term , they don't get paid enough, so one day off a fortnight , what's the problem. TEACHING IS NOT AN 8 HR DAY , ITS ABOUT A 12 HOUR DAY. I know I witness it.

Once business' want to work people into the floor that's when service and good quality work goes out the gate , people leave places and in come the second rate, and stuff up everything . You know what I mean.

It happens every where now with casualisation of employment , no one cares and no one has any security, we need to change the fairness balance because profiteering to make a few people wealthy , and I don't mean making no profit YOU HAVE TO DO THAT, but PROFITEERING! It will see the western style really begin to crash down.
Because the plebs aren't dying at 22 years old now , the down trodden have information everywhere. They are the modern public , yes its a new world.

One thing you can guarantee, when reports are nearly due my FB feed fills up with teachers whinging about having to do reports. Maybe I'll do the same when I have to do my monthly report to management which often has to be completed out of hours? Or maybe I recognise that no one gives a s**t and to just do my job as required.

One thing you can guarantee, when reports are nearly due my FB feed fills up with teachers whinging about having to do reports. Maybe I'll do the same when I have to do my monthly report to management which often has to be completed out of hours? Or maybe I recognise that no one gives a s**t and to just do my job as required.
To be fair coming up with creative and constructive ways of saying, "Is it possible your child may be missing a chromosone?" must be a bit of a pain.

Certainly physical labour is more taxing but people who don't believe teaching is a difficult job need to spend an hour in a classroom with 25 hormonal teenagers, many from dysfunctional and disturbed home environments.

Some do get used to the horrible smell apparently

People who use facebook post stupid s**t?
Well. Case closed!

It's not stupid s**t I object to, I post stupid s**t, it's the whinging. Anyone whinging on FB is annoying, like about their kid (keep your legs closed then), about being sad but with no reason (shut up then attention whore), people complaining about their flights or something (well done, you're getting on an aeroplane, you're so important).

But they were never going to be able to deploy those Western forces. England had already declared war on them.

Exactly...Because they weren't fighting alone, the forces that would likely have beaten them weren't deployed against them.

Russia, Alone, would have lost.

The Soviets knew they had the demographics no matter what. They were going to invade Germany it was a matter of time.

At the end of the fighting in Europe, the Soviets had a standing army of around 10 million men, with an absolute monopoly on strategic position in Europe and a further monopoly on the best military generals in the world.

The yanks threw Churchill out at the mere suggestion of taking the war to the Russians conventionally. Piss addled old brain had clearly given up after decades of abuse, and those teetotaler yankees weren't having a bar of him.

If there's a "world heavyweight championship" of conventional warfare, the Russians still hold the belt. The Germans erased that first Russian army in one summer, and the Russians had raised two in its place in that same period of time.

Demographics win wars. Also Zerg Rush.

Russia had been bled white by the war. If the west had have had the stomach, they would have beaten them. They'd lost around 10 million fighting men (and another 15 million civilians). The US lost 400,000 (from a similar population base). Russian tactics were to bury the opposition with manpower, the US did the same with firepower and the Russians would have run out of men before the US ran out of shells.

The Russians big problem if a war started wouldn't have been manpower though, it would be air power. The US had learned how powerful the air force could be, and the Russians would have been stuffed logistically. Their advance was significantly slowed against the Germans by their inability to supply their armies (and they only managed that due to ~400,000 trucks the US lend leased to them)...The Russians could have driven the western forces back initially, but with the US bombing roads, railways and everything that moved behind the lines, they would have been out of supply within a few weeks.

BTW. Churchill might have liked the idea, but it was Patton who wanted to keep rolling into Russia (although that was more likely because he just liked fighting wars rather than any particular ideological concern).

Exactly...Because they weren't fighting alone, the forces that would likely have beaten them weren't deployed against them.

Russia, Alone, would have lost.

But on their own, any country would lose that war. Likewise if Hannibal played things correctly none of us would be sitting here. But he didn't and they didn't. The reality i.e. what actually happened, is Russia was invaded, then fought back by obliterating the greatest land army the world had seen up to that point, then scaring the Anglo's to the point that the yankees sacked a British a PM at gunpoint.

Russia won WW2, I mean, that isn't up for debate man. I don't know why you're even trying.

Russia had been bled white by the war. If the west had have had the stomach, they would have beaten them. They'd lost around 10 million fighting men (and another 15 million civilians). The US lost 400,000 (from a similar population base). Russian tactics were to bury the opposition with manpower, the US did the same with firepower and the Russians would have run out of men before the US ran out of shells.

The Russians big problem if a war started wouldn't have been manpower though, it would be air power. The US had learned how powerful the air force could be, and the Russians would have been stuffed logistically. Their advance was significantly slowed against the Germans by their inability to supply their armies (and they only managed that due to ~400,000 trucks the US lend leased to them)...The Russians could have driven the western forces back initially, but with the US bombing roads, railways and everything that moved behind the lines, they would have been out of supply within a few weeks.

BTW. Churchill might have liked the idea, but it was Patton who wanted to keep rolling into Russia (although that was more likely because he just liked fighting wars rather than any particular ideological concern).

Horseshit.

Russia had amassed the world's largest army in existence at the start of its WW2 campaign.

In one year, the Germans destroyed that army.

In that same year, the Russians had recruited two. Armies. Two armies the same size as the one the Wehrmacht spent an entire year killing.

At the end of WW2 practically every experienced general of worth was Russian. They had a standing army of 10-20 million battle hardened psychopaths who were more scared of their own command than of the allies. The horrors of PNG and the Kokoda trail are regularly referred to as "the only thing approaching Eastern Front warfare that any of the Allies were involved in". You know what they called Eastern Front warfare in Russia? Warfare.

Germany started WW2 bleating about the purity of its race and Aryan history etc. And now what? Every single German in the world is now part Slavic. Thanks to Russia and the Red Army rapefest that happened all across Germany, Poland, and * it, Earth.

Firepower doesn't win land wars. Demographics and numbers do. Wake me up when the US realise this (might have something to do with why they haven't won any significant wars).

Soviet Russia had that thing Napoleon's French had: belief. For the French it was belief in democracy, for the Russians it was the belief that their own command could treat them ten times worse than anything the nazi's or Allies could ever conceive. Christ, the Soviets eventually made "being chechen" illegal and sent a whole people to the Gulag. They were that scary the yanks nuked Japan just in case Russia decided they wanted Japan.

Your right wing poster boys like Obama might be good at wars and bombings and civilian body count, but the Soviets killed armies and leaders. Americans kill civilians then lose. Not even in the same ballpark.

Dont' get me wrong, America is a more violent and scarier empire. But Russia is soooooo much better at producing armies and winning wars it isn't funny. It's like, who is really tough? The guy who goes around picking on disabled kids and weak people or the guy that stomps that guy into the dust and decapitates his family. Cause that second guy is Soviet Russia. Even made a sick soundtrack for it:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back