Training report - 23/1

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Ok my first crack at a training report so I thought that I would report on some more left of field things and let the more astute judges report on tarining drills, set plays etc

1. Andrew Russell. Typically for Hawthorn, Russell flys well under the radar whilst Darren Burgess from PA is talked up as the greatest head trainer in the history of the world. FFS Russell has THREE flags under is belt and Burgess has SFA! I really like the cut of this guys jib, no nonense, shuns the limelight, superfit himself but knows stuff his stuff inside out. From watching his interaction with the players you can tell that they have immense respect for him and trust what he is doing.

2. Jon O'Rourke. I have read several times that JONO is 188cm tall. Looked at him several times this morning and he only looked slightly taller thatn Hartung who is 177cm. Might be just me but I seriously doubt that he 188!

3. TOB and Sicily in particular still look very slight.

4. If Langford junior doesn't have a nick name it should be PB - pretty boy.

5. Really like the looks of the new boys, Myles, Hardisty and Pittonet in particular. For some reason, Hardisty reminds me of Ben Allen. If he is as half as good as him we are absolutely laughing.

6. As reported previously Big Boy is in amazing knick. I can see him really stepping up this year and becoming an extra midfielder. Whiilst he may never out tap the taller ruckmen, he will run them ragged for four quarters and become invaluable in latter parts of the game.

7. Coming from a running background, it never ceases to amaze me how fluent Cyril moves over the ground. If he manages to avoid doing his hammy this year and plays 15 games + other teams will absolutely $hit
themselves....

8. Brand and Kiwi Kurt really really excite me. Tall, strong and look very very likely

Summing up, there is definately something in the waters down at Waverley. Im stating the obvious but the synergy going on with players, trainers, coaches etc is absolutely electric. Like the former greats of the 80's and early 90's, this side just has that belief that they can beat anyone anytime anywhere. Happy days indeed.

Absolutely spot on. Andrew Russell is amazing & hugely respected by all from all that I have heard.
I think it was Jordan Lewis in a post GF interview on the ground said "we" don't need the media to pump us up or rate us. We know, I can't remember exactly what he said but to the effect of, we know what we have, what to do & how to do it. Roughie also said something about our performance "that's how you do it' it was seriously such an outstanding performance that people you just witnessed getting it done.
Sometimes I find it frustrating we the club don't get enough credit & respect but clearly B2B!! We have more than the last laugh!!

Good report.

Andrew Russell has FIVE flags to his name - our three & ones in 2000 & 2004. The hoopla surrounding Burgess makes good media copy but is sadly deficient when it comes to ultimate success.

As far as this year goes, I'm as excited about our prospects as I was in 2008 & last year. I count myself fortunate to have lived to see another period of Hawthorn domination.

And I really want to see Heatherley succeed consistently at the top level.

Hey Noel, any sightings of Jed Anderson and how he's tracking??

Young Jedi looks a million bucks. Shoulder still strapped but was tackling and moving freely. Has bulked up considerably since his first year - pretty much the same size as Cyril albeit it slightly taller

2. Jon O'Rourke. I have read several times that JONO is 188cm tall. Looked at him several times this morning and he only looked slightly taller thatn Hartung who is 177cm. Might be just me but I seriously doubt that he 188!

Thanks for your report Noel. Re JO'R - I have a different perspective to you, he looks about 188cm to me, about the same as Stratton when I have been watching them at training. Also, if you watch the 'Photo Day' video clip on the HFC web site, at about the 58 second mark there is some good vision of JO'R standing with a few of the boys including Puopolo so that should give you a different perspective.

Thanks again for your report, much appreciated by those of us that couldn't make it down.

Thanks for your report Noel. Re JO'R - I have a different perspective to you, he looks about 188cm to me, about the same as Stratton when I have been watching them at training. Also, if you watch the 'Photo Day' video clip on the HFC web site, there is some good vision of JO'R standing with a few of the boys including Puopolo so that should give you a different perspective.

Thanks again for your report, much appreciated by those of us that couldn't make it down.

Thanks Axemam - must be me!

Surprises me how much Breust flies under the radar even though he is one of your most loved and most valued. He is still underrated by the wider footy community.

Not trolling, but not a mention in a training report yet! How is he going? I hope his cousin Jake Barrett gets a run with our boys this year.

Surprises me how much Breust flies under the radar even though he is one of your most loved and most valued. He is still underrated by the wider footy community.

Not trolling, but not a mention in a training report yet! How is he going? I hope his cousin Jake Barrett gets a run with our boys this year.

Actually, I meant to mention him in Monday's report so thanks for the prompt. Bruest looked sensational on Monday - dominated the forward drills with his pace and agility, simply couldn't be tackled and looks ridiculously fit. Hope that quenches your thirst for Breust related info.

Actually, I meant to mention him in Monday's report so thanks for the prompt. Bruest looked sensational on Monday - dominated the forward drills with his pace and agility, simply couldn't be tackled and looks ridiculously fit. Hope that quenches your thirst for Breust related info.

Certainly quenched my thirst. Love Breust, under-rated in the wider footy world it seems, yet is consistant and does everything we need. He and Roughie are my daughter's favorite players (mainly through suggestions from yours truly).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was Jordan Lewis in a post GF interview on the ground said "we" don't need the media to pump us up or rate us. ... we know what we have, what to do & how to do it. Roughie also said something about our performance "that's how you do it' it was seriously such an outstanding performance that people you just witnessed getting it done.

Right. That's it. I'm watching the grand Final AGAIN this weekend!

Hartung is currently sporting a sensational buffount and a very impressive tan. On the football side of things, he oozes class, poise and exceptional athleticism. Im calling it now Hartung to win the rising star award, provided he is still eligible?

Hartung is currently sporting a sensational buffount and a very impressive tan. On the football side of things, he oozes class, poise and exceptional athleticism. Im calling it now Hartung to win the rising star award, provided he is still eligible?
Jed, Hartung and Lithers. Excited as for 2015.

A lot of the training reports don't focus on the stars as we all already know what we get with them. It's the young and new players that everyone is keen to hear most about.
That said, Breust is one of the senior players who looks likely to take his game up another level in 2015. Gunston too.

A lot of the training reports don't focus on the stars as we all already know what we get with them. It's the young and new players that everyone is keen to hear most about.
That said, Breust is one of the senior players who looks likely to take his game up another level in 2015. Gunston too.
Hard to believe Breust could go up a gear in 2015. He is already one of the best small forwards in the competition. Are you talking about a different role, ie. more time in the midfield, or simply taking his already elite forward play to another level?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back