Training Report - Wed 21st Jan

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Headed down to this morning's session for about and hour and a half. There is a noticeable increase in intensity at training now, it is clear that they are building towards the season. Something else that occurred to me watching today's session is the element of fun that is usually there at training seems to have been put away and now they really mean business.

Now on to my observations of players and I will start with some of the new guys:

Howe - Looks good. Very clean hands and a good accurate kick, very clean. Looks at home out there.

Pittonet - Like Howe, he looks at home. He competes well in the ruck and looks to have good hands as well. Was very clean with his disposal

Hardisty - He actually looks the most likely of all the new guys in my opinion. Very at home in all the drills. He has really clean hands when receiving or picking up from the ground at speed. His kicks are like bullets, low flat and fast and the ball makes a noticeable THUD when it hits the hands of the guy on the other end of his kicks. he has genuine pace and his size makes him hard to tackle. I am reluctant to get too excited about a rookie, but Hardisty is a very likely type. Maybe a faster version of Mitch Hallahan?

Frawley - Defensive work and pace is A grade, disposal is very ordinary, kicking out on the full and missing targets. I reckon it will take him a while to get used to the fact that he now has a team of defenders around him that will actually support him and provide him with back up and he doesn't need to panic.

Now on to some of the others:

Big Boy - Really slimmed down and looks fit and lean. He is dominating training, not so much in the ruck but in getting around the ground and contested marking he is killing them.

Mitchell - Awesome. That is all.

Lewis - Very vocal and forthright in directing the younger guys and very encouraging as well. Real captain material.

Kiwi Kurt - as I have said in previous reports. Kurt is the real deal. He now has the skills to go with his aggression.

Brand - Looks good. Clean hands, good kick and making a real contest (and sometimes winning a contest) when contesting one on one with other big guys.

Langford Jnr walked laps all morning and then boxed.

Whitecross and Suckling competed in drills for the first part and then spent 30 mins running without stopping. Whitey looks super fit and really strong.

Cyril took part in drills and then ran laps for ages.

Lake mostly just did kicking work on the sidelines with a coach.

I got there a bit late so I can't be sure who was and wasn't there but I definitely did not see Spangher or JM-L out there.

Last edited:
Headed down to this morning's session for about and hour and a half. There is a noticeable increase in intensity at training now, it is clear that they are building towards the season. Something else that occurred to me watching today's session is the element of fun that is usually there at training seems to have been put away and now they really mean business.

Now on to my observations of players and I will start with some of the new guys:

Howe - Looks good. Very clean hands and a good accurate kick, very clean. Looks at home out there.

Pittonet - Like Howe, he looks at home. He competes well in the ruck and looks to have good hands as well. Was very clean with his disposal

Hardisty - He actually looks the most likely of all the new guys in my opinion. Very at home in all the drills. He has really clean hands when receiving or picking up from the ground at speed. His kicks are like bullets, low flat and fast and the ball makes a noticeable THUD when it hits the hands of the guy on the other end of his kicks. he has genuine pace and his size makes him hard to tackle. I am reluctant to get too excited about a rookie, but Hardisty is a very likely type. Maybe a faster version of Mitch Hallahan?

Frawley - Defensive work and pace is A grade, disposal is very ordinary, kicking out on the full and missing targets. I reckon it will take him a while to get used to the fact that he now has a team of defenders around him that will actually support him and provide him with back up and he doesn't need to panic.

Now on to some of the others:

Big Boy - Really slimmed down and looks fit and lean. He is dominating training, not so much in the ruck but in getting around the ground and contested marking he is killing them.

Mitchell - Awesome. That is all.

Lewis - Very vocal and forthright in directing the younger guys and very encouraging as well. Real captain material.

Kiwi Kurt - as I have said in previous reports. Kurt is the real deal. He now has the skills to go with his aggression.

Brand - Looks good. Clean hands, good kick and making a real contest (and sometimes winning a contest) when contesting one on one with other big guys.

Langford Jnr walked laps all morning and then boxed.

Whitecross and Suckling competed in drills for the first part and then spent 30 mins running without stopping. Whitey looks super fit and really strong.

Cyril took part in drills and then ran laps for ages.

Lake mostly just did kicking work on the sidelines with a coach.

I got there a bit late so I can't be sure who was and wasn't there but I definitely did not see Spangher or JM-L out there.
Maybe JML has taken an extended brake ?

This JML absence is a little strange. Not in the team photo, not even a double used for him and not at training since xmas by all reports.
Did Langer cop an injury or is it time management for him at the moment?

This JML absence is a little strange. Not in the team photo, not even a double used for him and not at training since xmas by all reports.
Did Langer cop an injury or is it time management for him at the moment?
Based on the other days I've been (didn't get along today) I think he's referring to Lachie Langford as "Jnr". He's been just doing lots of running, agility, boxing and handball drills on the sidelines. I thought he might have an injury but I think it's probably more precautionary due to his high school injuries that his body is not quite fit or conditioned enough to be participating in full training yet. He's a true project player and I think at this early stage he's probably going to be playing most of the season with the Box Hill dev squad and hopefully pushing into the senior VFL squad late in the season.

It will be so disappointing if JML after reading the article on him and his excitement of being able to play afl, has decided it's not for him. I'm hoping it's something else requiring him to take some time away from the club.

It will be doubly disappointing if the club allowed BF posters to sponsor JML knowing that he wasn't part of the club anymore - the fact that they didn't gives me hope that it's just an extended break for one reason or another

Thanks for your report Axeman, it's always good to hear how the next crop of Hawks royalty are going

It will be so disappointing if JML after reading the article on him and his excitement of being able to play afl, has decided it's not for him. I'm hoping it's something else requiring him to take some time away from the club.

It will be doubly disappointing if the club allowed BF posters to sponsor JML knowing that he wasn't part of the club anymore - the fact that they didn't gives me hope that it's just an extended break for one reason or another

Thanks for your report Axeman, it's always good to hear how the next crop of Hawks royalty are going
There might've been a death in the family or some other serious matter that he needed to travel back home for.

Great report. Thanks for spending the time on this.
The description of Hardisty has got me excited. Did you see if he can he kick both feet?

There might've been a death in the family or some other serious matter that he needed to travel back home for.
I think he had a few injuries prior to last season, so it would not surprise if he has thrown a fetlock or something similar.

Based on the other days I've been (didn't get along today) I think he's referring to Lachie Langford as "Jnr". He's been just doing lots of running, agility, boxing and handball drills on the sidelines.

Yep, Lachie = Langford Jnr. Sorry for the confusion.

Great report. Thanks for spending the time on this.
The description of Hardisty has got me excited. Did you see if he can he kick both feet?

Didn't notice this, but there is a lot to be excited about with Hardisty.

You forgot the most important one.
Was the Irish guy there?

Yeah I think he was. I think that is who Brian Lake was doing kicking drills with. They were spending a lot of time teaching this guy the finer points of kicking so it makes sense that it would be the Irishman.

Yeah I think he was. I think that is who Brian Lake was doing kicking drills with. They were spending a lot of time teaching this guy the finer points of kicking so it makes sense that it would be the Irishman.
I hope Lake wasn't doing the teaching!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the reports guys, great to have something interesting to read through mid-arvo on a workday.

Reading all these extremely positive training reports make me wonder if our planning is aimed players with attributes that don't make them stand out juniors, but more who will slot effortlessly into group. What I read would suggest we had high draft picks' which we know is not true. A big thanks to the brains behind our recruiting. and to axeman and others who take the time to bring us their reports.

I spoke to JML last Friday and he was happy and relaxed. I spoke to a player on Monday and he said JML was very happy to be sponsored by Big Footy and I didn't get any indication that anything was wrong.

The players call Lachie Langford LJ [Langford Junior]

Is that the kid who both us and the Swans have had our eyes on? Will there be an announcement anytime soon?
No. This kid is Conor Glass who was a guest with the Hawks last January.

The guy you are thinking of is Daragh Joyce. No idea what is happening with him.

The players call Lachie Langford LJ [Langford Junior]
I heard players calling out to Kaiden Brand as KB.

15s_bartlett,0.jpg

I know we can get pretty excited by what's going on during preseason but it sounds like we have some REAL potential coming through from our last draft. Not to mention Brand, Heatherley Webster, Willsmore and Sicily whom I've seen and look very good.

Not sure how we're going to keep them all because I have a feeling Sammy and Luke are not leaving us so soon. Along with Burgers I think they want another flag or two and will continue in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back