Training Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

TOB needs to get on the see food diet.
Is it like this diet?

simpsons-window.gif

TOB could end up like Grimley! Just hangs around for a few years until he is TOLD to go!

Not necessarily. Gunston has little to no bulk one him, the bulking of buddy was an absolute disaster.

Not certain this obsession with bulking is key.

Fitness and exposure are probably more important at this stage.

The problem is not necessarily the bulk, but how well they can operate without it. Gunston is a smart reader of the play, and is brilliant at getting to the ball first and protecting the drop with his body. It means he doesn't need to outmuscle anyone, or jump on anyone's head, because, while he can do those things at times, he doesn't have to rely on them to be a dominant forward.

For mine the problem with TOB is he doesn't have that one standout skill. He isn't particularly tall or fast, he can't outmuscle an opponent, he doesn't seem to be a competitive beast who will do anything for the ball, and he doesn't read the ball and protect the drop like a Gunston. This means he's got a lot of good attributes, but he needs that one trait that he is much better at than his opponent if he wants to make it at AFL level. Bulking him up might help, but unless he turns into a gorilla Cloke/Hawkins type (which i can't ever see happening), he's just gonna be a slow, ineffective forward (as Cloke/Hawkins have been for periods of their career)

Not necessarily. Gunston has little to no bulk one him, the bulking of buddy was an absolute disaster.

The interchange cap should push things in favour of those with endurance. Either way you're gonna run for longer without a keg weighing you down.

But am i right in saying you probably wouldn't put him in the Franklin category of quick KPF's, where his speed gives him a big edge over an opponent?
:) Franklin is in another league mate as a forward. I think TOB was like sub 3 seconds in the draft or just on. He can motor. Its more about learning the hawthorn style of play. Its not easy today to be a forward. In saying that he has work to do and its totally up to him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:) Franklin is in another league mate as a forward. I think TOB was like sub 3 seconds in the draft or just on. He can motor. Its more about learning the hawthorn style of play. Its not easy today to be a forward. In saying that he has work to do and its totally up to him

Yep, he probably needs to build in a few areas, even Franklin needed a few extra tricks in the bag than just pace.

Apparently Clarko was keen on giving TOB up to 10 games this year (of course if form warranted) but plans of giving the youngsters extended periods at senior level went out the window when we were 4/4 after 8 rounds.

He will get his chance like many other of the younger players in 2016.

For me he is the type who will only get better at AFL level after a bit of exposure.

Core strength more important. Being a big arsed/hipped bloke doesn't hurt though - Roughy, Lake, Hawkins. Hard to push those guys out of the way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back