Analysis Training Watch - Off Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Google Conor Glass and see if you recognise him. Pale Irish Ranga with curly hair. Visited the club this time last year when he was 16.
He may still be too young to rookie but given international scholarship.
The Hawks were keen on him.
That looks more like him. The guy I saw at training looks a few years older (probably the beard). If it is him then that would only make him 17. Very tall and mature frame for someone that young. Not as freakish in size as Shem but still explains why we would be so interested when you add in how skillful he is with the ball (the round one at least).

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yes, it was he at training on Monday. Stood out like a beacon. Came across as being a bit nervous as though he didn't quite believe where he was and what he was doing and with whom he was doing it.

Yes, it was he at training on Monday. Stood out like a beacon. Came across as being a bit nervous as though he didn't quite believe where he was and what he was doing and with whom he was doing it.

I remember that feeling. Barely. It was so long ago. I took pictures.

durrrrrrr

Debutant
May 12, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey Guys,

Pardon the intrusion, but I was just wanted to hear about the progress of two players in particular.

Liam Shiels - How is his pre-season going? Is he ever going to turn into the major ball winning midfielder who averages 26+ touches a game?
Tim O`Brien - Seems to me he's a fair way off. How is he going this pre-season? I assume they wouldn't hand the No.23 to a spud so when do you see him playing consistent senior footy, 2017?

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Hey Guys,

Pardon the intrusion, but I was just wanted to hear about the progress of two players in particular.

Liam Shiels - How is his pre-season going? Is he ever going to turn into the major ball winning midfielder who averages 26+ touches a game?
Tim O`Brien - Seems to me he's a fair way off. How is he going this pre-season? I assume they wouldn't hand the No.23 to a spud so when do you see him playing consistent senior footy, 2017?
Liam Shiels is a monty to go Back2Back Brownlows in 2015/16 while averaging 39 possies.

Timmy will win the Coleman in 2016 with 94 goals.

I hope this helps. :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Max Force

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2013
QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey Guys,

I just like your username A:spades: K:spades: Q:spades: J:spades: 10:spades:

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey Guys,

Liam Shiels is a major part of our midfield, and plays as a ball-winning mid, or a run with player who works both ways, sometimes changing roles within a game
Getting 26+ possies a game isn't what Hawthorn are about

Tim O'Brien is a fair way off for mine
I hope he comes on quick this year, but I ain't holding my breath
I can see James Sicily passing O'B for game time this season

HomerJayS

All Australian
Mar 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Agreed. I would have thought we'd have seen something of Timmy in two years. To me that's not a good sign (yea I know he's only young and a KPF).

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Liam Shiels is a major part of our midfield, and plays as a ball-winning mid, or a run with player who works both ways, sometimes changing roles within a game
Getting 26+ possies a game isn't what Hawthorn are about

Both O'Brien & Sicily need to build their tanks before worrying about bulking up.... bulking up too quickly is not ideal.....Gunston seems to cope just fine!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. I would have thought we'd have seen something of Timmy in two years. To me that's not a good sign (yea I know he's only young and a KPF).

TOB has shown plenty both at Box Hill and enough in his AFL games to show he has the class to make it. He is on a club list that has made 3 consecutive grand finals and arguably has had the best KP fwds in the comp so his opportunities are extremely limited - yet when there has been an opening he has been given games so that should indicate to you the light that the coaching staff hold him in. If he was at St Kilda he would be getting a game every week.

I am excited about him as a player - is exceptionally clean with his ball handling and is ALWAYS in front on the lead. They are AFL level qualities. He has a booming kick too. He needs to get stronger to be able to hold front position which will happen in time and find more ball but during games but I am not sure why his development gets questioned so regularly. He is going well.

TOB has shown plenty both at Box Hill and enough in his AFL games to show he has the class to make it. He is on a club list that has made 3 consecutive grand finals and arguably has had the best KP fwds in the comp so his opportunities are extremely limited - yet when there has been an opening he has been given games so that should indicate to you the light that the coaching staff hold him in. If he was at St Kilda he would be getting a game every week.

I am excited about him as a player - is exceptionally clean with his ball handling and is ALWAYS in front on the lead. They are AFL level qualities. He has a booming kick too. He needs to get stronger to be able to hold front position which will happen in time and find more ball but during games but I am not sure why his development gets questioned so regularly. He is going well.
Plus if he was ready to play AFL right now we might not have a spot for him and then he'd be a trade target. It's best for us that his development takes a bit of time.

I'm starting to suffer the middle-age-spread syndrome ( bloody 40's )
After years of trying to bulk up (got to 74kg ) I'm starting to get a gut, so for the first time ever I'm watching what I eat
Doesn't help my wife is a rake!
Better a rake than a hoe!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back