Club Legend
May 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
Hi all,

I'm currently studying law at Curtin University in Perth, I'm looking to move to Melbourne in second semester. I was wondering if any of you guys have had expriences in transferring from one uni to another, also whats the best commerce uni in Melbourne, and can you transfer interstate?

You can transfer interstate. Different unis will assess transfer applications according to their own criteria.

I worked at USyd for a while. Undergrad transfer applications there were assessed on a 50/50 split between your UAI/ATAR, and your WAM/GPA from anything longer than a full time year of university study (if you have made more than one attempt, it's from your most recent attempt)

Transfer applications from people with less than a full time year's worth of study would be assessed on the basis of their ATAR results alone.

But, as I said, the policy will vary from uni to uni, so best to contact directly any uni you're interested in.

Thanks mate, I've just completed first year uni passing all my grades so hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

Hi all,

I'm currently studying law at Curtin University in Perth, I'm looking to move to Melbourne in second semester. I was wondering if any of you guys have had expriences in transferring from one uni to another, also whats the best commerce uni in Melbourne, and can you transfer interstate?

I was thinking of studying commerce but ultimately went a different way. From the uni fares/information days, the best 2 commerce degrees (in terms of prestige/reputation/word of mouth etc) were probably by Monash and Melbourne Uni.

I don't think it should be an issue transferring to any uni here though - I had a friend who did it and most universities seem to offer similar core subjects which can be recognised as credits (so you don't need to do them again). You can probably find info about various transfer requirements on the uni's website.

Hi all,

Hey mate. I did the exact same thing in 2011. It was a pretty easy thing to do. If anything, you'll come out of realising how inferior the WACE system is in comparison to VTAC.

All you do is go to the VTAC website and apply for courses for semester two. It's easy to read and it's in pretty basic terms, so you can suss it out. When you start going through the process, they'll ask for your high school and university student numbers. From that, they get your scores and results and all relevant information. If there's anything else you have to attach, you'll be told. It seems extra attachments are mostly bound to arts courses, so it should be straight-forward for you.

After that, you can put down plenty of preferences, and when you get an offer, you just take it. It's akin to when you applied to uni in WA. It costs about $30.

Once you've gotten the offer, you just enrol and that's it. Send Curtin an email explaining everything and they'll unenrol you. It's all a really straight-forward process, VTAC are really good and act as a conduit between your new uni and all other institutions you've attended.

One negative is that there's less offers floating around for mid-year offers. It's usually down to the university and how they outline their courses. Just suss things out and see what universities offer what courses.

The other slight is that, potentially, you'll start back at year one. This is because unis are smug entities. They think their course is more relevant. You can usually get courses cut-out in first year, so you might be able to do three units a semester instead of the usual four. But this is just what's happened to me and a few people I know. It's not absolute. I'd email each uni you're applying to about their process for achieving prior credit and what your Curtin grades will mean at your new uni. Most places are okay with corresponding.

Other than that, it's the best move. It doesn't fit everyone, but it feels plenty of us. You'll be way more entertained in Melbs and have so much going on. Make sure you get an AFL Membership too – because even if you rock up in June or July, you'll still get your moneys worth.

I am looking at potentially moving to a NSW Uni.

I was just wondering census dates for the highly regarded NSW Universities? Particularly in the Law and Commerce/Business areas.

Thanks guys. I think vonn is from NSW? Can you shed any light on this for me?

I am looking at potentially moving to a NSW Uni.

I was just wondering census dates for the highly regarded NSW Universities? Particularly in the Law and Commerce/Business areas.

Thanks guys. I think vonn is from NSW? Can you shed any light on this for me?

I am indeed doing Commerce at USYD... But! I have no idea regarding census dates or any of that! Your best bet is asking J_Moore who posted above. As he said, he worked at USYD.
Hope that helps.

Ps - USYD > UNSW ;)

Hey mate,

Census dates are about 4 weeks into semester, usually. But that's a CSP issue, mostly.

Main round applications for undergrad degrees in first semester this year will have been closed for a while at pretty much all unis, I would have thought. But it would be worth checking with any course you're interested in to see if there is some sort of late entrance scheme (there wasn't at USYD, from memory.)

So you'd probably be looking at starting mid-year, and applications for that would be open now.

All NSW undergraduate applications are made through www.uac.edu.au

Ah damn, will have to do some investigating and see whether it's at all possible to start sem1 somewhere.

Cheers. :thumbsu:

After considering all options, decided to stay in VIC. Teh footyz calchah

Remove this Banner Ad

Back