Player Watch Travis Varcoe (Retired 2020)

jscan

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't expect much when we got Varcoe, but his been getting better and better each game. It's like his been reinvigorated. His a hard worker and great to watch.

AJH073

Debutant
Apr 28, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
....Travis Varcoe has been a revelation for us! He has stepped up a notch at the Pies and has developed a hard edge along more consistency in his game. Some of his defensive efforts have been sensational for us this year and he is really hitting the opposition hard. Wouldnt be surprised if he is running top 5 in the BF atm.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
....Travis Varcoe has been a revelation for us! He has stepped up a notch at the Pies and has developed a hard edge along more consistency in his game. Some of his defensive efforts have been sensational for us this year and he is really hitting the opposition hard. Wouldnt be surprised if he is running top 5 in the BF atm.
Good half of a season. Job not done yet.

Prestige Presti

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can honestly say he has the best center of balance of almost anyone in the league.

That tackle in the Freo game where he stumbles and almost immediately regains his feet, turns around and sprints to make the tackle, how many players in the AFL could have made that tackle?

He's been doing that week in week out all year, never goes to ground and is always finding a way to keep his feet and impact the contest or the ball carrier, has easily been one of our best this year.

I was one of the few that knew if he stayed healthy he could have added much needed class and speed to our squad, but I had no idea he would display such hunger and desire in the black and white, his repeat efforts and tackles set the bar for us as a team and our young blokes.

Hated him after 2011, but he's well on the path to redemption, what a champ.

Varcoe has been a terrific addition to our teamd. I love his 2nd and 3rd efforts. Watching him live, when he's near the ball, you just know he'll be all over it, or the ball carrier, persistent, determined.

Both he and Crisp have been a revelation, and extremely well done to the recruiting team. We got it right this year.

Off topic, Hine knew exactly what he was doing with Crisp. As soon as the Beams fiasco broke, and we began dealing with Brisbane, Crisp would have been in his sights.

Feb 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Chicago Blackhawks
The sea change has been very good for him. Happy to see him putting in so much pressure as well as offering speed and kicking ability.

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
I for one had an open mind. His previous 2-3 seasons at Geelong had been injury riddled until last season when he finally strung some games together. He came to Collingwood fully fit for the first preseason in years so that gave me some thoughts that he could return to his best.
Same with me. You have to keep on open mind in these trades. We knew what we'd get from H. I was of the view that Varcoes' strengths/weaknesses would benefit the team more then H's, if he could avoid injury.

He's been very, very good. Top 5 in the Copeland so far.

DrDavoren

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great part of why we are playing well, has brought in and is setting a good example for the younger players around him.
Massive upgrade on Harry in terms of ability and positive effect on the club.

Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Aberdeen FC
I was pretty anti this trade but he's turned me around. I'm already planning to sacrifice my first born to him in an token of appreciation. I'm sure he wants more kids to look after.

Back