Player Watch Travis Varcoe (Retired 2020)

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I must say that I don't recall two players slotting in too a side so easily, both Varco and Crisp have transitioned into the team seamlessly and both seem well spoken and good people. regardless if Bucks can coach or not the group of people comming into the club are first class.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2007
Vegas
AFL Club
Collingwood
I must say that I don't recall two players slotting in two a side so easily, both Varco and Crisp have transitioned into the team seamlessly and both seem well spoken and good people. regardless if Bucks can coach or not the group of people coming into the club are first class.

Agreed.

Both are clearly starting 22 with a full strength list.

popin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers, Craig lowndes
What a pick up for the club, Great spirit and sportsmanship to show support for Adam-G #37

392455_gl.jpg
392483_gp.jpg
392508_gp.jpg
392509_gp.jpg
392517_gp.jpg
392518_gp.jpg
392519_gp.jpg
392520_gp.jpg
392521_gp.jpg
392522_gp.jpg
392538_gp.jpg
392540_gl.jpg
392541_gl.jpg
392545_gl.jpg
392546_gp.jpg
392721_gl.jpg

It's a bad look for the club IMHO that only an indigenous player makes a tribute for Goodes. I get that Varcoe probably has more to do with him than his teammates, and perhaps the club made a conscientious decision not to make a tribute, play in indigenous jumpers etc., and at the same time we wouldn't prevent Varcoe from making his own mark... but I think to have Varcoe be the only player doing something looks a bit weak/lacking solidarity from us.

Last edited:
It's a bad look for the club IMHO that only an indigenous player makes a tribute for Goodes. I get that Varcoe probably has more to do with him than his teammates, and perhaps the club made a conscientious decision not to make a tribute, play in indigenous jumpers etc., and at the same time we would prevent Varcoe from making his own mark... but I think to have Varcoe be the only player doing something looks a bit weak/lacking solidarity from us.

Club would of given it a Green-Light.

Agree Not a Fan of it but IF he wanted to do that then Fine. Did not hurt his Performance so nothing Massive to Complain about

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
It's a bad look for the club IMHO that only an indigenous player makes a tribute for Goodes. I get that Varcoe probably has more to do with him than his teammates, and perhaps the club made a conscientious decision not to make a tribute, play in indigenous jumpers etc., and at the same time we wouldn't prevent Varcoe from making his own mark... but I think to have Varcoe be the only player doing something looks a bit weak/lacking solidarity from us.

Agreed - when i heard the tigers were playing in their Indegenous jumper I wanted us to do the same.
It may only be symbolic, but that symbol of support can mean the world at a time like this.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I must admit that Varcoe has been a real surprise packet. Over the preseason and the early practice games, he was getting some predictable slagging as a weak operator. It seemed that he was a sure thing of becoming a fan favourite when it comes to accusations about being soft. I think that I remember a few accusations of Trav being a "soft penis"....

and look how he's turned out!...remarkable. You cant see one bad word about him on the BF forum....and for good reason. I'd vote him as probably the hardest tacking Pie player this year...

I can only put this transformation down to one thing. Obviously Trav was an avid reader of BF and took the early criticism to heart and decided to turn his footy around....mark another one down to BF!!

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
What's weird about it?

The Buckley haters need to read this quote (love it):

While in Indonesia he crossed paths with Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley. “I caught up with him and I’d only ever seen him on TV, you know, doing post-match interviews and coming across a bit grumpy,’’ Varcoe laughed. “But he was totally different.

“He’s been great for me. He’s just fuelled my enjoyment of football again. You ask any of the boys here and he treats us like he would his sons. We feel like extended family. You can’t teach that, it’s something you’re gifted with, and he’s one of those people who has it.’’

ThePhantom777

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2014
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
And one for the Davoren haters too:

Varcoe’s ferocious tackling, chasing and attack on the ball this season has also drawn praise. He attributes that improvement to the strength and conditioning program devised by Collingwood high-performance manager Bill Davoren.

“If you have that confidence in your body then week in week out you can put in those repeat efforts,’’ he said.

Oct 16, 2007
Tir na n'Og
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Team Tibet
And one for the Davoren haters too:

Varcoe’s ferocious tackling, chasing and attack on the ball this season has also drawn praise. He attributes that improvement to the strength and conditioning program devised by Collingwood high-performance manager Bill Davoren.

“If you have that confidence in your body then week in week out you can put in those repeat efforts,’’ he said.

Isn't he the one Bigfooty wanted sacked? o_O

I'm really struggling to find fault with Varcoe's game. He has been outstanding for us. Must be in top 3 contention for the Copeland, and with Crisp in the top 5. Not bad for two traded in players who were thought to be just so so.

Should we be giving Balme some credit for Travis, given the Cats connection?
My only knock on Varcoe at the moment is his ability to finish in front of goal. Currently around the 8 goals 9 behinds and IIRC some of those shots he really should have nailed. Having said that, this is a knock on the whole team this season.

He's been fantastic and will go close to winning the B&F. Just want to see him impact the score board more often

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I must admit that Varcoe has been a real surprise packet. Over the preseason and the early practice games, he was getting some predictable slagging as a weak operator. It seemed that he was a sure thing of becoming a fan favourite when it comes to accusations about being soft. I think that I remember a few accusations of Trav being a "soft penis"....

and look how he's turned out!...remarkable. You cant see one bad word about him on the BF forum....and for good reason. I'd vote him as probably the hardest tacking Pie player this year...

I can only put this transformation down to one thing. Obviously Trav was an avid reader of BF and took the early criticism to heart and decided to turn his footy around....mark another one down to BF!!
I'd put it down to Bucks being a great coach and getting the Best out of Travis. but i'll take some credit also :p

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I'd put it down to Bucks being a great coach and getting the Best out of Travis. but i'll take some credit also :p

If you sunk the boot into Trav earlier in the year, you can wear an unofficial "BF assistant coach" badge...... and brag to the world how you made him a good player

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you sunk the boot into Trav earlier in the year, you can wear an unofficial "BF assistant coach" badge...... and brag to the world how you made him a good player
if only it were true for the rest of the team then Blair would win the Brownlow and Collingwood the Flag :p

Back