Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Still think he is a gun footballer but he is no AFL captain.
I think he is the type of footballer that will attempt to lead by example. That is fine, although you need to be consistent with your effort if you expect others to follow. Just thinking back to the game, the organisation of the midfielders at stoppages, which you would think Cotchin being the captain would take ownership of, was non-existent. Especially with a young group in the middle, I recall Batchelor instructing midfielders such as McDonough and Arnot where to position themselves at stoppages. In comparison to Selwood who is constantly yelling instruction to his midfielders I just don't see Cotchin doing that.

Just my 2 cents.

Saw Nathan Jones on Game Day this morning - pretty impressive... I was a bit jealous...
Watched Beveridge the morning after the Bulldogs loss - pretty impressive... I was a bit jealous...

Leadership?

We is lacking epic time....

We've lacked leadership for a very long time. Look at our captains over the last 25 odd years. Free, Knights, Campbell, Johnston, Newman. Some good players but not vocal and demanding of others like good captains are. Saying that I can't think of a player on our list that shows these traits. Maric might have a dip but to old to start now unfortunately. Nathan jones would be the perfect choice for the tiges. We need to poach a leader from somewhere cos we aint got any. When the going gets tough our players give up. Soft utensils most of them who need a rocket up there arse.

Dimma and his assistants (all of them) are on thin ice and if they can't turn things around I'd be a more than happy to * them all off and start fresh. Our new coach will be richo and his assistants are Knighter, Maxfield, Turner, Jacko and King,;)o_O:D

Actually, since Tex has torn it up as Captain for the Crows the thought did cross my mind.

I have a feeling they put guys through a psych test , interview and then pick a captain.

Don't know but maybe Lids or someone else should be captain? I do not think Cotch has been that bad as a Captain but are their better options in terms of raising the passion and belief in the group, getting everyone on board? Dunno, don't know who the other option would be.

I would nearly pick Rance but I do not want it to affect his back line prowess.

Is Trent transparent and open enough to be Captain. Seems a little political and reserved at times in the way he comes across. I don't know.

I would like Trent to be a bit more confident and outspoken at times, speak from the heart, and say what you really think unless it is really sensitive

Yeah I agree with this totally. Trent seems to be a great guy the kind all love but good guys don't generally lead well, and it shouldn't have taken his team mates to tell him to harden up. Also I've always thought since he was prematurely given the captaincy he had lost a bit of his footy flare. I never thought he should have been given the role. Was not sure initially about lids but would love to see him captain now. Even when Lids does his press work you can hear he has a definite opinion and speaks directly without curving answers. Our leadership has issues. Vlas has to be a definite candidate for the captaincy. Love Cotch but prefer him to just focus on playing.

We've lacked leadership for a very long time. Look at our captains over the last 25 odd years. Free, Knights, Campbell, Johnston, Newman. Some good players but not vocal and demanding of others like good captains are. Saying that I can't think of a player on our list that shows these traits. Maric might have a dip but to old to start now unfortunately. Nathan jones would be the perfect choice for the tiges. We need to poach a leader from somewhere cos we aint got any. When the going gets tough our players give up. Soft utensils most of them who need a rocket up there arse.

Dimma and his assistants (all of them) are on thin ice and if they can't turn things around I'd be a more than happy to **** them all off and start fresh. Our new coach will be richo and his assistants are Knighter, Maxfield, Turner, Jacko and King,;)o_O:D

Lids would have a crack for sure. Would love that coaching line up

People suggesting he is not a good captain because he doesn't stand up when needed are deluded . That amount of games that he does two or three things to swing games our way or efforts he puts in when the chips are down is greater than anyone else in the side . Can he win games by himself no , no one can . The difference between cotchin and selwood or hodge is their players naturally don't throw the Towel in. The majority of the RFC list are front runners.

Are you guys shitting me? He was very good tonight. He got involved in that last quarter.
Remember noting that even though the game seemed gone for all money that Cotch was on a sideline rotation and you could literally see him thinking and drawing in determination.

People suggesting he is not a good captain because he doesn't stand up when needed are deluded . That amount of games that he does two or three things to swing games our way or efforts he puts in when the chips are down is greater than anyone else in the side . Can he win games by himself no , no one can . The difference between cotchin and selwood or hodge is their players naturally don't throw the Towel in. The majority of the RFC list are front runners.

Agree. i would love some of these same posters who are accusing our captain of not showing leadership to walk in his shoes come game day. I have read those knocking his missed shot on goal when we needed it kicked. Watch that kick again, the poor bloke was exhausted. You know why he was exhausted ? well he was surrounded by soft players around him outside of miles and edwards. Cotchin was at the bottom of some many packs getting hammered, i was surprised he last till the last quarter.

Keep going Trent.

Agree. i would love some of these same posters who are accusing our captain of not showing leadership to walk in his shoes come game day. I have read those knocking his missed shot on goal when we needed it kicked. Watch that kick again, the poor bloke was exhausted. You know why he was exhausted ? well he was surrounded by soft players around him outside of miles and edwards. Cotchin was at the bottom of some many packs getting hammered, i was surprised he last till the last quarter.

Keep going Trent.

I understand where you are coming from but ask yourself, would Selwood have missed that shot? How about Hodge, Boak, Pendelbury, Watson, Ablett? These are guys who captain their side, run themselves ragged and are sucking in as much air as they can when they take the shot and nail it.

He still needs to nail those goals when they count which unfortunately he does regularly. He is not on his own on that front either to be fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand where you are coming from but ask yourself, would Selwood have missed that shot? How about Hodge, Boak, Pendelbury, Watson, Ablett? These are guys who captain their side, run themselves ragged and are sucking in as much air as they can when they take the shot and nail it.

One shot does not equal leadership IMO. From all you have mentioned, Cotchin kicks more goals then them, has done for years. What I am saying Friday night was not an indictment on cotchin but the whole team and coaching group.

So I may be setting myself up to be the guy who is lining up to shoot Bambi, but I am underwhelmed with Cotch at the moment.... Sorry to those who will no doubt disagree.

I love Cotchin the footballer from a couple of years ago - I like
Cotchin the footballer at the moment and I reckon he is a good Captain.

Problem is right now we need a great Captain and sadly I'm not sure he has it in him.

Watch today's interview on the RFC website... Says some good things, most of the right things but gee, (and maybe it's only me) but it really was not very inspiring and did not give me any great swell of anticipation that we have any real idea how to shake ourselves out of yet another funk.

Nice bloke Cotch but we really need a hard arse at the moment to pummel some of our soft corks to lift.

Saw Nathan Jones on Game Day this morning - pretty impressive... I was a bit jealous...
Watched Beveridge the morning after the Bulldogs loss - pretty impressive... I was a bit jealous...

Leadership?

We is lacking epic time....
An interesting point Jones made was that Roos had made him question what makes a successful captain.
How before Roos he focused on himself but that how now he put the team first, and that wasn't just on game day, but at every training session.

Not everyone is a born leader. Sometimes they need the right person guiding them.
This isn't a go at Dimma...just an observation.

So I may be setting myself up to be the guy who is lining up to shoot Bambi, but I am underwhelmed with Cotch at the moment.... Sorry to those who will no doubt disagree.

I love Cotchin the footballer from a couple of years ago - I like
Cotchin the footballer at the moment and I reckon he is a good Captain.

Problem is right now we need a great Captain and sadly I'm not sure he has it in him.

Watch today's interview on the RFC website... Says some good things, most of the right things but gee, (and maybe it's only me) but it really was not very inspiring and did not give me any great swell of anticipation that we have any real idea how to shake ourselves out of yet another funk.

Nice bloke Cotch but we really need a hard arse at the moment to pummel some of our soft corks to lift.
Love his work on the park but that interview was so vanilla.
When asked about what needs to change his response was colour by numbers.

I know he doesn't have to be direct and honest about why the team failed, but it almost seemed that he thought they weren't that bad on Friday and that the team just needs to focus on process and be cleaner and everything will be OK. Not what I wanted to hear.

Last edited:
Why would that be you think?

Because he's battling away, so is the team, and the coach... and he's got a baby at home that he'd probably want to spend more time with right now, including his wife. That's my view of it, and it's very understandable.

One shot does not equal leadership IMO. From all you have mentioned, Cotchin kicks more goals then them, has done for years. What I am saying Friday night was not an indictment on cotchin but the whole team and coaching group.

Happens too often mate, and is symptomatic of the mental weakness this side has. Reiwoldt missed two, probably three that he should've kicked and Griffo missed two sitters. SO instead of making a statement and putting scoreboard pressure on, the opposite happens and the Dees got confident. See Dunne getting into Griffo. Made me sick.
Goalkicking, hitting targets, clean below the knees...we had no mental toughness to do any of this, and it spread like cancer thru the side.

Love his work on the park but that interview was so vanilla.
When asked about what needs to change his response was colour by numbers.

I know he doesn't have to be direct and honest about why the team failed. But it almost seemed that he thought they weren't that bad on Friday, and that the team just needs to focus on process and be cleaner and everything will be OK. Not what I wanted to hear.
Apparently we 'just need to tweak a few things and stay true to the process'...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back