Tribute: Gough Whitlam

Remove this Banner Ad

louismaxwell

Team Captain
Sep 26, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Australia was in no mood for war back then. We had just gotten out of Vietnam which was another war we should not have been involved in.
200,00 East Timorese died , whenever is Australia in the mood for war, never , so what stopped Gough at least doing the right thing in holding Indonesia to account

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
As someone pointed out already, thatchers thread was full of worse things than just questioning a legacy. Can I ask why this should be any different?
Stop being a timid sook and just come out and say what you think about him.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Strong on the social, cultural and infrastructure changes that were required; weaker on economics, hit badly by the oil shock.

Personally, I benefitted from free tertiary education the first time around.

Good summation. Despite the economic and govt chaos, Australia is a better place.

Whitlam was not blessed with the best cabinet.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
What Hypocracy? Both Abbott and Thatcher would have truly ****** over large portions of their nations (or tried to), the same can't be said for Whitlam, who did his policies hurt?
Well it seems to have really hurt a few whose bloodlust for seeing people starve to death has been greatly diminished, want to ensure that tertiary education remain solely the domain of those who can afford it, or that people can not afford to go to the doctor.

RIP Gough. A true giant and one of the man who led us to a great nation where people have opportunity.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
200,00 East Timorese died , whenever is Australia in the mood for war, never , so what stopped Gough at least doing the right thing in holding Indonesia to account

The same thing that happens to everyone when they try to take on Indonesia?

Reality.

How big are they, how small are we?

Just read the news. I am deeply saddened. I will always remember that November 1975 day. I had only been in the country for a little over two months, but he made an impression on me that has lasted almost forty years.

A giant of a man in physical and intellectual stature. Respect.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
BREAKING-: Kevin Rudd has interrupted his concession speech to pay tribute to himself and Gough.
Speaking to Southern Cross Radio Mr Rudd said it must have been and honour an a privilege for him to have known me.

(not mine, I shamelessly pinched it from somewhere else, but I got a chuckle out of it)

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you are going to point the finger at the ALP over east timor point it also at the LNP (if you know the history).

Australia's treatment of the East Timorese was deplorable until John Howard stood up to the Indonesians. Fraser, Hawke and Keating were all complicit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone pointed out already, thatchers thread was full of worse things than just questioning a legacy. Can I ask why this should be any different?
I wasn't a MOD on SRP back then, that's why, otherwise it would have been exactly the same. I can't speak for the actions of those that went before me, but if what you say is true then that's extremely disappointing.

But say if Malcolm Fraser passed could you imagine the vitriol he would receive on the forum for being a Liberal prime minister ( even though most liberals cant stand him) I feel most posters have been very restrained in their criticism of gough.
Save me from the bitching on hypotheticals.

Perhaps a topic for a new thread, rather than hijacking a tribute to a man who just died??

Ditto to others questioning the policies he implemented.
Repeated again. Happy to hand out thread bans if required.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
I wasn't a MOD on SRP back then, that's why, otherwise it would have been exactly the same. I can't speak for the actions of those that went before me, but if what you say is true then that's extremely disappointing.

Thank's for the response. Personally I have no issue with people saying what they really think when someone kicks the bucket. It's not like I know them or get offended when someone slags them off. It's more if one can be slagged off, all should be able to slagged off(or praised).

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
Thats all politicians, LNP/ALP Greens etc.

Which has been my point all along. I simply asked was he the catalyst for all of this spending of other peoples money on a far grander scale than any previous governments. Which has set us on the path of being over taxed to pay for all these leeches in society to be taken care of.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.

Personally I find this back and forth regarding Thatcher V Whitlam tedious in the extreme.

If you can't see why Thatcher was so utterly reviled and feel mystified why Gough isn't copping the same level of bile, I really feel sorry for you.

How many families did Gough destroy?

How many people necked themselves over Gough taking there jobs?

Etc etc etc.

Thank's for the response. Personally I have no issue with people saying what they really think when someone kicks the bucket. It's not like I know them or get offended when someone slags them off. It's more if one can be slagged off, all should be able to slagged off(or praised).
I don't believe anyone, regardless of what side of politics they are, what race they are or what religion they believe in, should be slagged off at all in a tribute thread the very same day they pass away.

People need to show a little respect.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
I don't believe anyone, regardless of what side of politics they are, what race they are or what religion they believe in, should be slagged off at all in a tribute thread the very same day they pass away.

People need to show a little respect.

I would love to say I can guarentee I would be big enough to live up to that.

But as I have said, if I was to wake up one morning and hear the rodent for example was dead....would genuinely struggle to hold back I suspect.

SE_Blue

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves; Meath GAA
2lawm1j.jpg

A little blurry, but I received this from Gough a week and a half after Margaret died in 2012 after sending him a letter thanking him for everything he'd done for my family and how much of an inspiration he was (gay, whatever, I know).

In comparison, I have to move heaven and Earth just to get a response to a basic inquiry from my local MP.

Thank you for everything, Gough.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Personally I find this back and forth regarding Thatcher V Whitlam tedious in the extreme.

If you can't see why Thatcher was so utterly reviled and feel mystified why Gough isn't copping the same level of bile, I really feel sorry for you.

How many families did Gough destroy?

How many people necked themselves over Gough taking there jobs?

Etc etc etc.
Slagging off at someone when they die just shows the class of person they are. It has nothing to do with whether it was Thatcher or Whitlam.

I would love to say I can guarentee I would be big enough to live up to that.

But as I have said, if I was to wake up one morning and hear the rodent for example was dead....would genuinely struggle to hold back I suspect.
No, I don't think so, you would probably be like me and say nothing but respect the thread and not post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back