oh_my_hat

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2000
one-out in the goal squar
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Tottenham
I was watching the Steelers v Vikings game last night. Pittsburgh had the ball and were lined up to run a play when Kordell Stewart started changing the play and was moving down the O-line toward the WR and yelling out to him when the ball was direct snapped to RB Jerome Bettis who ran for 7 yards.

I have never seen this play called before but it was good for 7 yards which isn’t too bad.

What’s the strangest gimmick play you have seen?

Also not a gimmick play as such but also I saw a highlight from the Saints game. Aaron Brooks threw a long ball to an open Joe Horn running straight down the middle of the field (post pattern?) and was about to make the reception all by himself when he collided with the back judge standing in the middle of the field at about the 5 yard line. What a bonehead, the ref should have thrown a flag on himself for pass interference!!

Yes Hat most successful teams have gimmick or gadget plays in their playbook.

They are set to take advantage of a defensive trait of the other team or to loosen them up.

Catch them unaware of what's going on or someone to overract to the run and the pass it.
AKA all the faking you see going on in the passing game - play action pass. this to hold the secondary in place for the split second when they have to decide to pass cover or come up to stop a running play. That's why you see a bit of the handoff then the pitch back to the QB to throw long.

The offical in the way read the play wrong. He will be quietly fined for that bone head mistake. Do it enough and your gone.
The officals do not fool arounf or have as much leeway as the players do. But all of this is done quietly not on Sports Center roundup.

Gimmick plays are used often in collegiate play, but rarely in the NFL. It seems, though, that whenever it is used in the NFL - it works.

Here's a good one the Chiefs used about three or four years ago. I cannot remember who they were playing at the time.

Chiefs had fourth and long from the enemy 40-45. They fielded their punting team. The ball was snapped and the punter THREW the ball up in the air high and somewhat short. It looked just like a punt. The enemy punt receiver called for a fair catch and just stood there waiting for the ball. One of the Chiefs jumped in front of him and caught the ball (much to the would-be punt receivers surprise) and walked in for an "easy" touchdown.

Peace,

Mooster

omh, the same thing happened in the Rams-49ers game today. Kurt Warner was in position to take the snap and then he walked away from the offensive line like he was going to call a time out and as soon as he did that the ball was snapped to Marshall Faulk.

Yes. Saw that.

Did you see what the SF Dline did when he moved away from Center.
They stood up.
Ball snapped. Rams play for plus yardage.

They took advantage of the fact that they had seen the SF Dline do this time after time when a QB walks away to call a time out.

Originally posted by Mooster7
Chiefs had fourth and long from the enemy 40-45. They fielded their punting team. The ball was snapped and the punter THREW the ball up in the air high and somewhat short. It looked just like a punt. The enemy punt receiver called for a fair catch and just stood there waiting for the ball. One of the Chiefs jumped in front of him and caught the ball (much to the would-be punt receivers surprise) and walked in for an "easy" touchdown.
That is an amazing blunder to make by the punt receiver. I have never seen footage of this play - hope it was against the Raiders. :D

Originally posted by carb70
omh, the same thing happened in the Rams-49ers game today. Kurt Warner was in position to take the snap and then he walked away from the offensive line like he was going to call a time out and as soon as he did that the ball was snapped to Marshall Faulk.
Yeah I saw that too carb. He even went to the trouble of undoing his chin strap to help complete the ruse. I think I liked his acting better than Kordell Stewart's the week before. I think Summerall said that he first saw that play in 1959 but hadn't seen it again until last week and it shows up two weeks in a row now.

Originally posted by Longboysfan
Did you see what the SF Dline did when he moved away from Center. They stood up.
I noticed that too, I bet they got balled out on the sidelines and in the dressing room after the game by the coaches for going to sleep like that.

Looks like the NFL are going to change the rules to stop this type of play in the future because they fear an unsuspecting defensive player may be hurt if they think a time out is being called and stop playing.

Maybe they could just call a false-start on the QB if he walks away from centre or along the line outside of the tackle box (LT to RT) like Kordell Stewart did. Then it is up to the D to stay focused. Not really that difficult is it. Maybe as some have suggested the NFL really does stand for the No Fun League.:D

Re: Youtube of American Football

anyone have the "Dead man" Play that they showed on sportsnation on ESPNHD today from the Texas high school playoffs at cowboy stadium? that was a good trick play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a fan of that Spurrier one
McCluster Fluster is better

then again, this is even better:D

now that kid deserves the game ball!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back