News Trigg to be Carlton CEO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on!
For his sake I hope he finds ways to hear from a broader cross section of fans at the Blues
mick gatto and jeannie pratt?

Not expecting people to write anything positive about Trigg at all. Just positive things about moving forward now as a club. That's all.

On the face of it I reckon Triggy has emerged pretty well from a possible career downturn time of life. He is now CEO of one of the top echelon clubs in the town of Melbourne. Said town being the centre of the universe for all things football (not to mention life as we know it on the Earth planet). But seriously if he has gone to Carlton 'with the AFL's blessing' then maybe it can be surmised that the AFL were possibly influential in his appointment? He has the political skill of painting himself and his time at AFC with the good news and achievements, such as Adelaide Oval and AFC Seconds team etc and it has to be said these 'accomplishments' are significant CV material, which will outshine any lingering Tippettgate etc. tackiness. You could excuse Triggy for thinking that this employment change is not only fortuitous in terms of moving away from the AFC, but also can be viewed as a promotional step. He is now very close to the big end of town with an abundance of heavy, influential sponsors and individual big money supporters of the game, and quite close to the bosom of the AFL itself.

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SYDNEY.

I'M TALKING ABOUT WHAT ADELAIDE VOLUNTARILY GAVE UP.

LOL, I finally got it a few posts back. This pick 54 was our second round pick that year, must have been bucket loads of priority picks to push us down that much.

It was still a second round pick though (agree 54 is getting a bit thin) so moving forward can we say 5 top picks and one in the 50's?

On the face of it I reckon Triggy has emerged pretty well from a possible career downturn time of life. He is now CEO of one of the top echelon clubs in the town of Melbourne. Said town being the centre of the universe for all things football (not to mention life as we know it on the Earth planet). But seriously if he has gone to Carlton 'with the AFL's blessing' then maybe it can be surmised that the AFL were possibly influential in his appointment? He has the political skill of painting himself and his time at AFC with the good news and achievements, such as Adelaide Oval and AFC Seconds team etc and it has to be said these 'accomplishments' are significant CV material, which will outshine any lingering Tippettgate etc. tackiness. You could excuse Triggy for thinking that this employment change is not only fortuitous in terms of moving away from the AFC, but also can be viewed as a promotional step. He is now very close to the big end of town with an abundance of heavy, influential sponsors and individual big money supporters of the game, and quite close to the bosom of the AFL itself.

I think you are overthinking things to be honest. Trigg's time at Adelaide was always coming to an end soon. He'd been there above and beyond normal CEO time frames. Everyone knew that, including him. I think he was given a chance to exit on a high given his longevity and commitment to the club over two decades, rather than leave on a low as he would have if he had been sacked. Chapman always said it's one mistake in an otherwise impressive history and people deserve second chances. Lets not argue if that's wrong or right, we all agreed that at the time Trigg was very lucky to keep his job. But he did keep his job, and got to be involved with some monumental changes in our Club's short history. I don't doubt for one second, that Trigg was given this chance to finish what he'd started in the move to AO, gaining our license and a new constitution, and that he would call it quits on completion of those things. I'm not sure he will ever make it to AFL house. It certainly won't be for many years - he has to re-earn his stripes I think.

LOL, I finally got it a few posts back. This pick 54 was our second round pick that year, must have been bucket loads of priority picks to push us down that much.

It was still a second round pick though (agree 54 is getting a bit thin) so moving forward can we say 5 top picks and one in the 50's?

It was actually a 3rd round pick. We gave up our 2nd for Graham (lol) and got 50 (then 54) in return. Our 2nd pick was actually 40 (then 42) so not that much difference to what we relinquished and what we threw away with Graham.

My dream scenario;

With backlash from supporters growing and it becoming obvious his tenure was ending, Trigg took a long hard look in the mirror. Being a staunch Crows man he decided to right the wrongs which, fairly or not, he had been lumped with.
The solution?

1. Step down before being pushed. This saves the club any embarrassment and gives him a chance to continue his career
  2. Bring back the best talent identifier in the business (Rendell). Maybe his hand was forced by the AFL and in bringing him back to the Crows he is acknowledging that we lost an important man that we shouldn't have
  3. Make up for the loss of draft picks by bringing in the biggest trade of the year (Cameron)
  4. Acknowledge that they needed to provide Sanderson with more experience than they had. Hopefully in the next 4 weeks we learn of an appointment of a new senior assistant (Mark Harvey perhaps).
  5. With him leaving the Crows and SANFL behind, Trigg is free to go hardball in the AO negotiations. If he does this right he could leave us with a long term benefit from his time. This alone could make up for the years of neglect on the income front.
It may be a dream (this would require Trigg to actually acknowledge that he hasn't been perfect and that everything isn't going swimmingly), but it just might be possible!

My dream scenario;

With backlash from supporters growing and it becoming obvious his tenure was ending, Trigg took a long hard look in the mirror. Being a staunch Crows man he decided to right the wrongs which, fairly or not, he had been lumped with.
The solution?

1. Step down before being pushed. This saves the club any embarrassment and gives him a chance to continue his career
  2. Bring back the best talent identifier in the business (Rendell). Maybe his hand was forced by the AFL and in bringing him back to the Crows he is acknowledging that we lost an important man that we shouldn't have
  3. Make up for the loss of draft picks by bringing in the biggest trade of the year (Cameron)
  4. Acknowledge that they needed to provide Sanderson with more experience than they had. Hopefully in the next 4 weeks we learn of an appointment of a new senior assistant (Mark Harvey perhaps).
  5. With him leaving the Crows and SANFL behind, Trigg is free to go hardball in the AO negotiations. If he does this right he could leave us with a long term benefit from his time. This alone could make up for the years of neglect on the income front.
It may be a dream (this would require Trigg to actually acknowledge that he hasn't been perfect and that everything isn't going swimmingly), but it just might be possible!

Now that is really looking on the bright side of things!!

Stranger things have happened - I just can't think of any at the moment.

Now that is really looking on the bright side of things!!

Stranger things have happened - I just can't think of any at the moment.

I'm positively giddy in my optimism at the moment!

A new era dawns and hopefully with it comes the success we have been waiting for!!

Man these drugs are good...

Dear Corporate Partners,
You are probably aware by now that I today advised the Club I am stepping down as Chief Executive Officer. I informed the Board, staff, coaches and players in person, but as you can appreciate that is not possible with nearly 60,000 members and 400 corporate partners.

I want to say thank you. The timing is right for me, and the Adelaide Football Club. It has played on my mind lately, given the incredible progress and successes of the past year. By that I mean, the move to Adelaide Oval, the acquisition of our AFL licence, forming a new Constitution, the development of our SANFL team, and numerous other agreements relating to the city venue and AAMI Stadium.

I leave knowing everything is in really great shape. As of today, the Club:
  • boasts a powerful financial situation and asset base
  • an extraordinary world class venue for home matches
  • exceptional training facilities
  • a record membership nearing 60,000
  • a record average attendance which is second highest in the AFL
  • a rapidly expanding digital and social media reach
  • a talented young playing list which is improving all the time
  • corporate support and partnerships which are strong and stable
And underpinning all of that is a football program, and on field performances, which have earned widespread respect. We should all be proud.

I also want to make something very clear… your Club is full of hard working, incredibly talented and capable people, who are superbly led by the Board and senior management.

I would like to sincerely thank you for your support. The past couple of years have challenged everyone involved with the Club. But the support and encouragement from our members and corporate partners, during my entire time as Chief Executive Officer, has been incredible and greatly appreciated.

I cannot thank the current and past Boards enough. Their efforts have, and continue to be, first class. I will always cherish the support they have provided me. A board of lesser strength and resilience would have lost its way under the pressure and scrutiny of recent years.

AFL is an emotional business and I am well aware there will be a range of reactions to my departure and in particular, questioning of my decision to join another Club. The best and simplest answer is that if you are motivated, love the game, have something to offer and a point to prove… then to use a footy term, you have a crack!

This has not been an easy decision. I have enjoyed the highs and endured the lows with our team for nearly two decades. I am a life member of this great Club. It is tough to separate yourself from such an addictive environment.

It has been a privilege to serve as Chief Executive Officer. I leave for now, knowing that I could not have given any more. The Club has always come first.

I have been asked to complete a few key projects over the next month, so I will be around the place, albeit in a limited capacity.

There will always be some red, gold and blue in my heart. I wish the Adelaide Football Club the very best of luck as it seeks the success it so richly deserves.

What a load of s**t.

starting to get a little sick of all the bravardo with him leaving

truck, who is a bonefide legend of this club hasn't been given this much fanfare. he's been at the club nearly as long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My dream scenario;

The solution?

Even if this dream scenario played out, I would have felt better if Trigg copped a cream pie in the face after his final press conference

1. Its not an impressive history its a roll of shame. That's why he couldn't even spin a decent achievements list in his press release

2. No people do not DESERVE second chances.

That's an entitlement attitude
I was surprised his list of achievments didn't include, "we've won 2 of our last 3"

Not expecting people to write anything positive about Trigg at all. Just positive things about moving forward now as a club. That's all.

Can't do it yet Jen. Whilst there is a lot of joy in trigg resigning it comes with the inherent risk of smart getting the job. It was a necessary risk, but until the replacement is named, the direction forward hasn't been clearly identified.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back