Remove this Banner Ad

liam_13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For those watching Channel 9..

http://officialmemorabilia.com.au/

They are trying to flog a framed bat with the PERSONAL signatures of all 6 Australians who have scored 300+, for $2995...

It claims they are all personally signed by all 6 batsman...despite Bradman being dead (claims his personal signature was acquired from the Bradman Foundation-hardly the same is it), and Clarke in the middle of a test match, probably slept for yonks after his innings.

And then, in the picture next to the bat with the signatures on it, it's hard to see, but I'm confident it only has Clarke's score as 300...yet, he got 329*, did he not? Is that from their desperation to flog it before he got out, or just a mistake...every other batsman has their proper score on..

Bored while waiting for another wicket, so that's why this thread was made.

But has Channel 9 flogging memoribilia gone to far with this example? 3 grand for probable computer generated (or however they make mass signatures) signatures on a bat, with 1/6 scores being wrong...

And then, in the picture next to the bat with the signatures on it, it's hard to see, but I'm confident it only has Clarke's score as 300...yet, he got 329*, did he not?

Not only that, he was never on a score of 300. He hit a 4 when he was 299*.

TripleCenturions-LRG-Button1.jpg

Their rampant whoring of instant memorabilia is obscene. Truly disgusting.

And yes, I found the voice over of the offer stating 'signed by 6 of the triple centurions' to be palpably wrong, even with the fuzzy substantiation-sounding 'authorised by the Bradman foundation' to be just laughable. Bradman couldn't sign a bat because he's been dead for almost 10 years. His signature appears on the bat and that's an entirely different matter.

That's deliberately misleading in my book.

The sad joke is that the market is flooded with this 'instant memorabilia' crap. If people think they've bought something that's going to accrue in value, they're sadly mistaken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This article from The Age a couple of years back sums it up really well.

Sports memorabilia expert Rick Milne is the guy being interviewed:

"Milne doesn’t hold back when discussing the TV collectables. And with good reason — it’s him, not Tony Greig nor the Channel Nine executives, who has to break the news to the buyers that their signed Michael Hussey photo isn’t going to fund their next car.

"I’ll tell you a little story," he says. "A few years ago a bloke rang me up and said, ‘Look, I’ve got a lot of good cricket memorabilia, I’ve had a bit of a bust-up and I want to buy my wife out of her share of the house.’ And I said, ‘Righto, I’ll come around and have a look’. This poor sap had bought every one of those Channel Nine disasters — because that’s what you’ve got to call them."

More here.

I can just imagine the situation... you've come into the test side as a youngster, like Cummins, and performed well. You're kicking back in the dressing room when this half-pissed reptillian-looking, liver-spotted half-cut figure shambles up to you. He tilts his straw boater back, unbuttons his blazer and says, "this is how things are done around here... been like this for years... sign this"

My brother-in-law got a bunch of stuff valued a year or two back. He said the guy didn't sound that excited when he called up but agreed to take a look. No doubt was expecting it to be more of Greig's s**t.

Apparently his interest level changed a little when he saw it - signed photos of the entire 1934 and 1938 touring squads, a 1938 baggy green and a bat signed by the 1938 team...

I hate it. Really pisses me off when they do that crap. I have never seen anything that is worth close to what they are asking. Really makes me wonder how they talk the players into this. Is there some link with cricket Australia and they can't say no?

I mean, THREE THOUSAND BUCKS!!!! Absolute daylight robbery.

Who is that desperate for a bat and some fake signatures?

Someone who has come to a crossroad where they need to get rid of money and throwing it down a drain isnt good enough for them.

I'd respect a diet of coke, hookers and booze ahead of buying this crap.

That takes a while to blow $3000 on that. This is one item which blows all $3000 in one go.

Dunno about that!

As for the memorabilia, I say good on them. If people are stupid enough to pay so much money for s**t like this, why wouldn't you keep making them? I'd happily scan a few blokes autographs onto a bat if people were willing to give me $3000 for it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back