TSL licenses 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

In the 'Muckery' this morning, they write about a new club representing the Kingston/Huon area in the state league, for the first time.
How could they forget the Southern Cats fiasco. Severe case of selective memory me thinks:eek:

Looks like we'll have a Southern Cats mark II and mark III all in the one hit. No North Hobart, Hobart or Kingborough as they currently exist.

Won't that be terrific! 2 new clubs with no supporter/volunteer base. It's all very well for Scott Wade to say in this morning's press that we can't live in 60's (I'm paraphrasing a little) but someone please tell me when a new club ever flourished in Tas?

The current Burnie and South Launceston clubs are merged identities and most of us can remember how the Southern Cats went. Even in the SFL the Central Hawks and Huonville are a merger of pre-existing clubs. Pre-existing clubs have players, supporters, coaches, support staff, administrators and volunteers. To start the whole thing from scratch is a monumental task.

Football Tas don't have unlimited buckets of money like the AFL do to support Gold Coast and GWS. One wonders how FTas will support the newly created clubs.

The only winners out of this will be the SFL and Old Scholar competitions who will benefit from the inevitable occurrence of player transfers to play footy at a lower level.

Looks like we'll have a Southern Cats mark II and mark III all in the one hit. No North Hobart, Hobart or Kingborough as they currently exist.

Won't that be terrific! 2 new clubs with no supporter/volunteer base. It's all very well for Scott Wade to say in this morning's press that we can't live in 60's (I'm paraphrasing a little) but someone please tell me when a new club ever flourished in Tas?

The current Burnie and South Launceston clubs are merged identities and most of us can remember how the Southern Cats went. Even in the SFL the Central Hawks and Huonville are a merger of pre-existing clubs. Pre-existing clubs have players, supporters, coaches, support staff, administrators and volunteers. To start the whole thing from scratch is a monumental task.

Football Tas don't have unlimited buckets of money like the AFL do to support Gold Coast and GWS. One wonders how FTas will support the newly created clubs.

The only winners out of this will be the SFL and Old Scholar competitions who will benefit from the inevitable occurrence of player transfers to play footy at a lower level.

Well put GreyMen so if the reports are right North Hobart and Hobart are both gone we will have two new clubs with absolutely Zilch Support.
Do Barker and Wade think the TFL is a “mini me” AFL, THIS WILL NOT WORK If they are taking this path (Which I do not agree with) why not just swap one of the Hobart City Council teams with The Kingborough football team. You then have the support base and support staff already in place straight away. If the SWL has two new brand southern teams in the comp it will last maybe two seasons maximum IMO.
I am sure the people at the Kingborough Tigers wont abandon there team for the Southern Cats mark II
Unbelievable stuff from AFL Tas !!! They must be smoking the good stuff.
Can we get Cricket Tas to run football in this state as well as cricket ?, at least they have a Clue.

I am sure the people at the Kingborough Tigers wont abandon there team for the Southern Cats mark II
quote]

Spot on, The supporters WILL NOT follow a new club, WE support our club, the players WILL NOT leave their current club to play for this new team.

So were are the players, supporters and unsung volunteers going to come from???? Come on AFL tas we want to know!!!!

You cannot tell me that North Hobart football club which started in 1881 has to be destroyed & some other madeup marketing entity stuck in its place. I dont think 'they' know what they are in for if 'they' try to force something on the members & supporters of NHFC.

You cannot tell me that North Hobart football club which started in 1881 has to be destroyed & some other madeup marketing entity stuck in its place. I dont think 'they' know what they are in for if 'they' try to force something on the members & supporters of NHFC.

To quote Wade from The Mercury yesterday

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/04/17/319411_sport-news.html

"He said the league's least preferred option would be to offer the sole city licence to either Hobart or North Hobart in their current form"

That's sounds like a Merger between HFC & NHFC or a new team will be created by AFL Tas.

"Wade said he was not fearful of a backlash from supporters when the final decision on city clubs' future was made at the end of this season."

They don't give a toss about NHFC of HFC proud traditions or there players officials and supporters.

Any way as mentioned the agreement set out at the start off SWL2 no teams can be replaced till after the 2013 season, However this has not stopped AFL Tas from undermining Hobart for at least the last two seasons and making the Club's Playing group a bit unstable.

To quote Wade from The Mercury yesterday

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/04/17/319411_sport-news.html

"He said the league's least preferred option would be to offer the sole city licence to either Hobart or North Hobart in their current form"

That's sounds like a Merger between HFC & NHFC or a new team will be created by AFL Tas.

"Wade said he was not fearful of a backlash from supporters when the final decision on city clubs' future was made at the end of this season."

They don't give a toss about NHFC of HFC proud traditions or there players officials and supporters.

Any way as mentioned the agreement set out at the start off SWL2 no teams can be replaced till after the 2013 season, However this has not stopped AFL Tas from undermining Hobart for at least the last two seasons and making the Club's Playing group a bit unstable.

Yes, wouldnt they be better creating better links with the footy public instead of continually undermining current clubs publically? Sure talk about the future in meetings etc, but stop creating uncertainty with all the comment about clubs & grounds. AFL Tas seem addicted to the media limelight. How about some positive footy news for a change. Also how about some news on new media exposure. We have nothing on ABC tv. I thought they had plans in place for commercial tv & the internet etc etc???????????

Yes, wouldnt they be better creating better links with the footy public instead of continually undermining current clubs publically? Sure talk about the future in meetings etc, but stop creating uncertainty with all the comment about clubs & grounds. AFL Tas seem addicted to the media limelight. How about some positive footy news for a change. Also how about some news on new media exposure. We have nothing on ABC tv. I thought they had plans in place for commercial tv & the internet etc etc???????????

Mad Mug I will pop in the Car and go to Royal Hobart Golf Club and ask them as they all come off the 18th about now,

Hardly any publicity in the media and even the one that is in place at The Mercury had a dig at them on Mondays web cast.

the license agreement, which was drafted up by AFL tas?? and with there track record, it wouldnt be worth the paper its written on.
Certainly a valid point, they have already proven that they hold no regards for what they commit to.

However, that said I would still be very surprised if they tried to breach this. There would need to be a majority of clubs in support of the new Kingborough/Huon side entering the competition to to it before the end of 2013 though.

Certainly a valid point, they have already proven that they hold no regards for what they commit to.

However, that said I would still be very surprised if they tried to breach this. There would need to be a majority of clubs in support of the new Kingborough/Huon side entering the competition to to it before the end of 2013 though.

But they would just pay off other clubs who couldnt give a stuff about Hobart or North Hobart. Maybe like 5 northern clubs & one from the eastern shore.

Article in the paper this morning. It looks like AFL Tas cant wait until 2014 & are pushing ahead with changes to TSL for next year. It seems like they have put all this out to the public without talking to the clubs involved.
How does that work? What happenned to the first 5 years of letting the league settle in?

Article in the paper this morning. It looks like AFL Tas cant wait until 2014 & are pushing ahead with changes to TSL for next year. It seems like they have put all this out to the public without talking to the clubs involved.
How does that work? What happenned to the first 5 years of letting the league settle in?
AFLTAS are a joke, and they lie through their teeth on regular occasions. Anything they say must be taken with a lump of salt.

How can we have an effective governing body, when they're running their own hidden agendas and are trying to reinvent the wheel every 5 minutes?

Maybe the time has come for the 5 existing clubs to have a quiet chat to Kingborough and New Norfolk and suggest a return to a TFL competition with 7 teams in 2014. After all, Scott Wade can't force the clubs to renew their licences in the TSL. This gives a season of 18 games where each team plays every other team 3 times plus has three byes for a 21 week roster. Have a traditional top 4 and forget about the whole TSL concept.
The northern clubs could return to a northern competition with as many of the other NTFA/NTFL teams as was appropriate. Maybe the two comps could be called TFL South and TFL North. You'd have an intra-state match on the June long weekend and a state premiership match at the end with alternating venues.
What could AFL Tas threaten if this was proposed? Would the AFL support any sanctions or would they go with the strength and admit that the AFL Tas administration was useless and embrace the new setup? I'd wager on the latter.

What could AFL Tas threaten if this was proposed? Would the AFL support any sanctions or would they go with the strength and admit that the AFL Tas administration was useless and embrace the new setup? I'd wager on the latter.

This crap from AFL Tasmania is killing football, its time all footy followers band together and start making some noise, instead of accepting this. We should stand up TOGETHER and sit out the front of Argyle St and throw our empty beer cans at the guys in charge!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a little disturbing if AFL TAS are planning to not only create a new club in Kingston (at Twin Ovals), and a new "City based" club at the same time.

While I do not like to see either NHFC or HFC removed from the TSL it unfortunately appears a done deal.

It would be interesting to see the business plan on such a bold venture.

It appears that NHFC and SBLJFC have formed an "agreement" at this stage so they can obtain the "city license".

If this is the case why on earth would AFL TAS wish to start a new club.

Supporter base, infrastructure, tradition and player numbers are already in place at NHFC & SBLJFC so why as they say throw the baby out with the bath water.

Maybe a slight tinkering with the "one off" jumpers and naming days but the benefit of removing NHFC from existence seems illogical.

The end result will be certainly interesting!

It is a little disturbing if AFL TAS are planning to not only create a new club in Kingston (at Twin Ovals), and a new "City based" club at the same time.

While I do not like to see either NHFC or HFC removed from the TSL it unfortunately appears a done deal.

It appears that NHFC and SBLJFC have formed an "agreement" at this stage so they can obtain the "city license".

Supporter base, infrastructure, tradition and player numbers are already in place at NHFC & SBLJFC so why as they say throw the baby out with the bath water.

Maybe a slight tinkering with the "one off" jumpers and naming days but the benefit of removing NHFC from existence seems illogical.

Interesting aint the word for it! Its a bit cosy seeing Bill Sorell making comment about Hobart FC & NHFC merging. Then he's in the paper with his Sandy Bay stuff drapped all over. Sandy Bay folded because they went BUST. They had a million$ when they sold Travs pub & then they had none????????. Who's responsible for that then? Not the supporters & volunteers who put their heart & soul into the club for years.
So what should we learn from all that? Just one thing IMO.
LEAVE NHFC & HFC ALONE.

So where will this new city clubs home ground be?
If They creat a complete new club and hobart and North go back to the SFL
is AFL Tas expecting one of these two clubs with such long and proud historys to just roll out the welcome mat to a new inner city club?

TCA ? North Hobart ? Queenbourgh ?

Could AFL TAS come out and let the football public know what is exactly going on. All this hidden Agenda crap is not helping any one.

Look guys, I know your probably gonna bite my head off for this, but I think the idea of a city team is brilliant.

Merge Hobart, North Hobart and Sandy Bay to create a new team called Hobart City.

TSL football isn't all that popular atm.

Look at when the Hobart Hurricanes rolled into town. It was something fresh, something different. And it got people interested in cricket. I'm 15, and every time the Hurricanes were playing everyone I know was trying to get tickets - even people who didn't even really like cricket before (like myself).

I think that a brand new team with a brand new image, playing out of North Hobart could have the same effect on the TSL.

Now I know people are worried about the heritage of the clubs etc, but unfortunately I think the image of the club has to be fresh.

Look guys, I know your probably gonna bite my head off for this, but I think the idea of a city team is brilliant.

Merge Hobart, North Hobart and Sandy Bay to create a new team called Hobart City.

Look at when the Hobart Hurricanes rolled into town. It was something fresh, something different. And it got people interested in cricket. I'm 15, and every time the Hurricanes were playing everyone I know was trying to get tickets - even people who didn't even really like cricket before (like myself).

I think that a brand new team with a brand new image, playing out of North Hobart could have the same effect on the TSL.

Now I know people are worried about the heritage of the clubs etc, but unfortunately I think the image of the club has to be fresh.

I can see your point of view. I agree in part that the freshness of a club "could" be good for the code, but in doing so, not many people will think that way. People don't like change, and I would personally like to see both teams added, with Kingborough working with Hobart to make a better combination together TSL (Hobart) and SFL (Kingo) with juniors coming through both regions and a better club relationship between them (both being Tigers as well).

At the end of the day, no one wants a merger, and when Kingborough is added, I don't see why Hobart or North Hobart should have to disband from the TSL.

Its hard for me to see the other side of things. I've never been attached to a TSL club. I've only recently started sort of going for Hobart because I work with one of their players.

The only part I can really make sense of is getting more people into the league, and I think young people are more likely to jump onboard something fresh than a struggling cellar dweller such as the Hobart Tigers.

This is why it was once floated that the TSL be a 12 team comp so you keep Hobart in and add Ulverstone.

Personally I believe an 8 team comp would be the real deal in terms of having games that had a higher standard of play.

Isn't that what the TSL is all about? Exposing the best v the best rather than players getting a game just making up numbers?

The comp needs more funding, less clubs and then it will be taken more seriously.

Southern Clubs would need to travel more just like the northern ones already do.

The Southern Cats were a new fresh image too, & where did that end up?
Its too easy to say, 'Amalgamation', Fresh Image" etc. I dont see that having a plan to destroy 130 years of community history & hope it works out, is any sort of plan at all.
The many plans & directions for football that have come from argyle st dont fill me with any confidence.
I suppose if a new club did eventuate & it didnt work out, then just blame some one else & then come up with another plan. Isn't that how it works?

The Hurricanes and the whole Big Bash League in my opinion is a fad. Give it a few years and crowd numbers will drop. They've got the right idea in terms of marketing, etc. They also have the dollars to back it up. It was exciting because how often do you see world class cricketers slogging it out in Tassie. It's the same when Hawthorn and North come down and it would be the same if Tasmania got an AFL team. You get your hardcore supporters going but you also get people going for the entertainment.

In my opinion the TSL needs to be an 8 team comp, each of the clubs recieve more money, with AFL Tas helping every club out with transport, running costs, etc on top of their grants. They need to promote it better, with better promoting leading to better sponsorship for the league and clubs. Less clubs will mean a better spread of talent and the more money from AFL Tas will help with bringing better marquee players from the mainland down.

Look at how many people turned out to see Akermanis play or how many people in the north west go watch Robertson play?

Imagine if AFL Tas helped pay for players of that calibre at every club instead of spending the same amount of money or more on say a Mitch Thorp for example? Or pissing money down the drain on new 'franchises'?

In an ideal world the league could be huge, if you had a governing body without their own agendas!

The Southern Cats were a new fresh image too, & where did that end up?
Its too easy to say, 'Amalgamation', Fresh Image" etc. I dont see that having a plan to destroy 130 years of community history & hope it works out, is any sort of plan at all.
The many plans & directions for football that have come from argyle st dont fill me with any confidence.
I suppose if a new club did eventuate & it didnt work out, then just blame some one else & then come up with another plan. Isn't that how it works?

I don't know anything about Southern Cats, but it doesn't sound very original to me

I don't know anything about Southern Cats, but it doesn't sound very original to me
The basics going by dodgy memory:
The TFL has just expanded, by including Launceston when Sandy Bay folded.
Headquaters was keen to add a southern club to balance out the loss, and created fom scratch a team in the Kingborough area which was a growth area and deemed necessary for the league to move into (seem familiar).
The Southern District Cats, usually referred to as the Southern Cats, were the child of that thought.
They lasted two years I think it was before folding, having relied largely on ex-Bay players over that time. Being a brand new, artificially built, club they gained no support from their adopted region. Some Bay supporters followed the players there, but they really struggled for the people keen to do the volunteer work that keeps clubs afloat.

The only difference with this "new" proposal is that the TSL appears determined to destroy a club or two in following the dream of repeating a monumentally failed experiment. (Last time it was partly in response to an already failed club through different forms of mismangaement at both club and league level. That is the one of two major differences, the other being that the Kingborough region has grown and interst in state footy has fallen even further than in the 90s partly because it now also competes against live AFL broadcasts on Saturday afternoons.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back