Analysis Turning players into things they are not

Remove this Banner Ad

I just noticed a post from onthemoney in our Drafts/Trade/Free Agency thread that sparked my interest. There has been some conversation into Schoey being made into more of a bulked up big man than building on the strengths he had as an athlete initially. So far, this doesn't appear to have worked, especially with him coming back from a knee injury which has already attributed to his loss of pace.

It made me think about the other players that we've tried to recondition:
- Rioli from a lithe forward into a midfield with a bigger body
- Franklin into a more bulky forward

Then we have the positional changes:
- Breust to the midfield
- Roughie to Ruck/Forward/Defender/onballer
- Robbie Campbell to a full back!!!

What are people's thoughts on the most and least successful changes that our coaching/fitness staff have attempted to drive? I think Rioli as a midfielder has failed for the time being, as did Frankling as a bulky forward. Breust brings a lot to the midfield, as does Roughie.

What are the others?

There are times where it's purely exposure to improve aspects of a players game, for example Gunston, who spent a lot of time running around our back-line early last year looking like a fish out of water, but ultimately improved his defensive pressure up forward.

In the case of Schoenmakers, I'm not sure he would have ever been an out and out superstar, but some glimpses have shown that he might have more success as a HFF/HBF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back