FTA-TV TV shows prematurely cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone remember the TV Show American Dreams (sometimes called Our Generation) which was on TV around 2002/3?

It was set in early 1960s Philadelphia, and starred a young Brittany Snow in the lead role.

An excellent comedy-drama show, which for some reason failed to rate in Australia, and was moved from one timeslot to another before vanishing completely.

yup. Awesome show.

I had a friend in the US record a heap of episodes and send them out to me.

Channel Seven threw it around a bit as you said, then from memory they showed them all at about 9 30 am on a weekday to get rid of them all. There was only 3 season made. Season 1 was released on DVD in the US - never made it out here. They had real legal issues regarding use of some of the songs from the American Bandstand program and then putting them onto DVD to which is why there has been no real release onto DVD.I think there has a been a release of recordings off television rather than an official Still not sure why they've never released Season 1 in Australia though.

The Defenders has been cancelled but I felt it was worth 3 or 4 seasons (probably no more than that though).

ER lasted 15 seasons, it could have gone a few more...

Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos hosted by Doug Mulray on Ch 9 in the early '90's. Only one episode was shown as Kerry Packer had a conipition and rang during the show and had it taken off air.

FYI, I was cacking myself laughing and it was a case of "what the???"

[YOUTUBE]bwb98JRVKyI[/YOUTUBE]

I've been trying to recall a comedy show that was on channel 10 in the 1970's, had a skinny red head bloke hosting, frying mars bars, etc.

There are several series that I enjoyed, but were cancelled before their time.

I'd like to see these revived

Moonlight
Blade: The Series
Dead Like Me
Now and Again
G vs E
The Thin Blue Line
Unsub
Logan's Run
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
The Pathfinders
Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)
The Champions
Lost in Space
Time Tunnel
Land of the Giants
The Veil

Some are a bit old, The Night Stalker was revived, but the result was terrible and it deserved so much better than that.

Some finished on a cliffhanger, like Now and Again, so a resolution would be good.

Dead Like Me evolved into a follow-up movie, but it has since laid dormant.

Any comments or other suggestions?
The Time Tunnel only ran the one season for 30 episodes. It is one of four series Irwin Allen had in the 60s (you've mentioned Land Of The Giants and Lost In Space, he also did Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea).

The Time Tunnel was ready to go into a second season but got cancelled at the behest of studio execs who went for a show called The Legend of Custer instead. That show spectacularly failed, lasting half a season. I wished they had stayed with the Time Tunnel.

Another show which got the can early was F-Troop. It only lasted two seasons and 65 episodes. It was cancelled from what I have read because of the increased cost of colour production (season 1 was B&W, season 2 colour) and the fact that it used a large area of the Warner Bros backlot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been trying to recall a comedy show that was on channel 10 in the 1970's, had a skinny red head bloke hosting, frying mars bars, etc.

I remember the guy now, Rod Quantock

The Time Tunnel was ready to go into a second season but got cancelled at the behest of studio execs who went for a show called The Legend of Custer instead. That show spectacularly failed, lasting half a season. I wished they had stayed with the Time Tunnel.

Didn't know that ,interesting. Friggin clueless studio execs axing a classic sci-fi show for some POS western.

Fawlty Towers only ran for 12 episodes and 2 seasons. Should have ran for much longer.

UK sitcoms have always had shorter seasons, it's just how they do things. But it also means they can afford to throw out the mediocre material and stick with the finest ideas they've got - that's how you get shows of the standard of Fawlty Towers.

yup. Awesome show.

I had a friend in the US record a heap of episodes and send them out to me.

Channel Seven threw it around a bit as you said, then from memory they showed them all at about 9 30 am on a weekday to get rid of them all. There was only 3 season made. Season 1 was released on DVD in the US - never made it out here. They had real legal issues regarding use of some of the songs from the American Bandstand program and then putting them onto DVD to which is why there has been no real release onto DVD.I think there has a been a release of recordings off television rather than an official Still not sure why they've never released Season 1 in Australia though.

I'm glad somebody else remebers this excellent, but under-rated and now largely forgotten show.

Does anyone remember the TV sketch comedy Big Bite, which aired briefly on Channel 7 in 2003?

All Australian TV Channels have a graveyard of failed sketch comedies since sucessful shows The Comedy Company, Fast Forward and Full Frontal aired, but Big Bite was actually good, featuring many great sketches, spot-on impersonations and a good deal of wit.

Sadly it didn't rate, and now has been consigned to obscurity.

Dark Angel.

Last two seasons, around 42 or 43 episodes. Think it could have done one more season, unfortunately ratings weren't it's best friend.

The Defenders has been cancelled but I felt it was worth 3 or 4 seasons (probably no more than that though).

ER lasted 15 seasons, it could have gone a few more...

I'm up to Season 15 right now. LOVE ER, top show. Don't know how people watch Greys Anatomy here in Australia but ER never really got the love it deserved. I'll reserve my judgement on ER for now, but no doubt Pratt dying, then Abbey and Luka leaving was a big hit.

Life As We Know It, teen drama that I doubt anyone has ever seen, but I dug it. Only got one season before it was pulled.

I liked the Aussie show Last Man Standing as well. Used to catch it on late night TV a bit but it went away pretty quickly as well.

Black Donnelly's was cancelled way too early as well.

Does anyone remember the TV sketch comedy Big Bite, which aired briefly on Channel 7 in 2003?

All Australian TV Channels have a graveyard of failed sketch comedies since sucessful shows The Comedy Company, Fast Forward and Full Frontal aired, but Big Bite was actually good, featuring many great sketches, spot-on impersonations and a good deal of wit.

Sadly it didn't rate, and now has been consigned to obscurity.

It was actually surprisingly funny. Was around in the era of Comedy Inc (Channel Nine) and Skithouse (Channel Ten) IIRC, but was far superior in its short run to both of those. Easily the best sketch comedy show seen here since the early days of Full Frontal (after Eric Bana left, that show turned to crap). As impossible as it sounds, even Andrew O'Keefe was funny on it.

Also, I wasn't really into it, but what happened to FlashForward? Got massive hype in the lead-up to its debut on Channel Seven, and then seemed to disappear after about two weeks.

I sat through about 5 minutes of ALF and never watched it again ... hated it.

Dinosaurs was another popular show I detested

I'm up to Season 15 right now. LOVE ER, top show. Don't know how people watch Greys Anatomy here in Australia but ER never really got the love it deserved. I'll reserve my judgement on ER for now, but no doubt Pratt dying, then Abbey and Luka leaving was a big hit.

I guess it would have struggled without Abby and Luka who were two of my three favourites (the other being Dr Morris).

I started watching it on Foxtel about a year ago and got hooked, they were up to season ten so I've seen the last few seasons in their entirety (as well as the occasional episode from the first few seasons when they were first on Channel 9 in the mid-90's). I'm going to start watching again soon as they are almost up to season six which is when Maura Tierney and Goran Visnjic joined the cast and I haven't seen any of their episodes prior to season ten.

a couple show spring to mind l cant remember if they were any good but l remember liking them @ the time.

"players" about Three scam-artist convicts helping out the FBI.gone after 18eps here in aust only showed not even half that amount if l remember rightly (is was along time ago)

"south beach" another show about ex cons hired to help the FBI/GOV starring yancy butler and eagle eye cherry.it was prob sh!t but at the time l thought it was alright.l think it got one or 2 eps here in aust thats all l remember seeing and then gawn.gone after 7eps

Remove this Banner Ad

Back