emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
TV Shows come and go. Some are around for a long time, others a short time, some are memorable, some forgotten, some good, some bad, others indifferent.

With more digital channels and DVD releases in recent years, there are more opportunities to watch favorite TV shows from the past. Some look as good as they did when they were made, others look dated but are still good, with the fact that some shows are dated part of their appeal.

On other occasions though, shows age badly for one reason or another. Which shows from yesteryear have you found to have aged poorly? Some I found were:

FRIENDS - I loved this show in the 1990s & early 2000s, but having watched it in syndication, there just seems to be something very dated about Friends, and not in a feel-good, 1990s nostalgia kind of way. Friends was a very good show, with lots of well-written comedy and a great cast, but for some reason that is hard to pinpoint I found it just doesn't hold up well today, and this even applies to the early 2000s episodes rather than just those from the 1990s. Other popular American sitcoms from this era - Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Frasier, Becker - do have some things that date them, but overall hold up well and are still enjoyable to watch although all have been gone for the better part of a decade.

SEACHANGE - This Australian TV show was very popular in the late 1990s, and I was among the many people who loved it. It boosted the acting careers of many of its stars, and caused the expressions 'sea-change' and tree-change' to enter our vocabulary, for people who leave the city for a simpler life near the ocean or in the bush respectively. It also inspired a number of similar shows around this era, some of which were notorious flops. However, when I watched Seachange in syndication recently, I found it terrible, and cannot believe how differently I perceived it now compared to 15 years ago.

BLUE HEELERS - It is hard to believe that more than 20 years have gone by since Blue Heelers made its debut with a pretty young future star from Perth named Lisa McCune. However, if you look at the early Blue Heelers episodes from 1993-94, they look more like they are from 1983-84. I cannot say the same for the series in its later years, as I have not seen these episodes for some time.

I don't think Friends has aged all that poorly (or at least aging of a show doesn't impact all that much on my enjoyment). It's not like the themes and laughs of Friends are no longer relevant or anything. It's been in prime time dinner syndication for a couple years now, so obviously a lot of people out there (presumably including people not alive when the show began) are still enjoying it a great deal.

In terms of content, something like Seinfeld might actually be more prone to dating, given its obsession with contemporary social customs that might no longer exist today. Of course, it's qualities are timeless, but Seinfeld is a little bit more period-centric in some of its plotting and premises than some other sitcoms. Friends on the other hand is less anchored to a certain time and place, despite its obvious 1990s nostalgic qualities. Occasionally I'll be watching an episode of Seinfeld and be thinking what Gen-Z or whatever will connect with in a particular archaic scenario.

I think some of the more unique zeitgeist shows might be prone to this trend, like say an X-Files or Miami Vice (I don't mean to pick out these shows at all, just to give an example of the type of program that might be prone to dating more quickly).

I guess younger forumers here would be a good litmus test for some of the 60s-80s classics. Obviously some young people just like new things, and would be prejudiced on sight, but for those that appreciate the history of TV, if a show they weren't alive for doesn't stand up well, then it might qualify for this thread. Some programs are also more remembered for their ground breaking (at least at the time) social commentary than actual (and enduring) quality.

I think some of the fantasy adventure programs of the mid 90s haven't dated so well (think along the lines of Xena, Hercules, Earth 2, etc.). It was an in-thing for a little while there, but most of it is harmless lunch-time viewing at best these days. Xena still has the interesting gender subversion aspect going for it in terms of a feminist TV history, but some of the other comparable shows haven't held up terribly well.

Personally, if a show is dated to a particular era, I actually find it charming (I think its the historian in me). But there are shows that are dated in ways outside of that (in terms of craft), and can only really be loved through things like nostalgia or guilty pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Although it is in my top 2 shows of all time, I don't think South Park will appeal to future audiences since it references present day events/celebrities. I still think older episodes are hilarious, but that's because I grew up with them. I doubt any kids born today will care about parodies of Rob Schneider, John Edward, Paris Hilton, World of Warcraft, Guitar Hero, the Jonas Brothers, Tiger Woods or Al Gore in 20 years time.

Watched a couple of Catweazle's the other day, has held up surprisingly well, still cracks me up.

I loved Catweazle too, it was a great series. It was a pity that a third series - which was written and cast - was cancelled just prior to going into production.

Interestingly, the actor who portrayed Catweazle, Geoffrey Bayldon, remains alive at 90 and was still acting as recently as 2010, while all of the other main cast members from both series with the exception of Gary Warren who played Cedric in Series 2 have now passed away.

Although it is in my top 2 shows of all time, I don't think South Park will appeal to future audiences since it references present day events/celebrities. I still think older episodes are hilarious, but that's because I grew up with them. I doubt any kids born today will care about parodies of Rob Schneider, John Edward, Paris Hilton, World of Warcraft, Guitar Hero, the Jonas Brothers, Tiger Woods or Al Gore in 20 years time.

I'd kind of agree here, even though I love South Park. Think of the Mecha-Streisand episode - how many 15 - 24 year olds know who Barbara Streisand is?

Love South Park though, will be able to watch it forever. I think there's enough depth there that it won't decay too much.

I'd kind of agree here, even though I love South Park. Think of the Mecha-Streisand episode - how many 15 - 24 year olds know who Barbara Streisand is?

Love South Park though, will be able to watch it forever. I think there's enough depth there that it won't decay too much.

There's plenty of timeless episodes too though. Episodes like The Losing Edge will still be relevant in decades to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seinfeld: The Early Years. It's very weird to me.

Agree,they recently went back to the start on Foxtel and the first 3 seasons just look old and out of date.After that it looks fine.

Yeah same thing here, the few that I saw recently just were not funny.

TV Shows come and go. Some are around for a long time, others a short time, some are memorable, some forgotten, some good, some bad, others indifferent.

SEACHANGE - This Australian TV show was very popular in the late 1990s, and I was among the many people who loved it. It boosted the acting careers of many of its stars, and caused the expressions 'sea-change' and tree-change' to enter our vocabulary, for people who leave the city for a simpler life near the ocean or in the bush respectively.

A "Seachange" housing development also sprung up in the St Leonards area where the show was filmed. (The main street scenes anyway). And I completely agree, loved the show when it first ran. Re-watching it much later down the track, is a shocker.

Would agree also with the early years of Seinfeld. Not Friends tho- much prefer the early eps of that, the last 3 years of that show was completely and utter s**t.

Early Seinfeld is awesome in its own way. The characters are less defined and it takes its time with things, but that's good in its own way. That said, Kramer in particular isn't quite there yet in the first season or so.

The only ep of Seinfeld that doesn't feel like 'Seinfeld' is the pilot. I think by the 2nd or 3rd episode the recognisable Seinfeld starts shining through, particularly when Jerry's apartment is finally as it normally is. Once the physical comfort of the apartment is set, everything just flows on from that. Then there are the important supporting characters, some would claim the show doesn't really feel like home until the likes of Newman and George's parents start making regular appearances.

For me, the neurotic character of George and Julia's performance of Elaine is generally what makes the show reach its pinnacle. The best episodes often involve a classic subplot from one of those two characters, with George obviously being the more sidesplitting.

I don't think Friends was ever awful, but the earlier seasons certainly have more spark. Rachel's pregnancy was a big turning point I guess, kind of like the beginning of the end.

I don't think Friends was ever awful, but the earlier seasons certainly have more spark. Rachel's pregnancy was a big turning point I guess, kind of like the beginning of the end.

Nawwww it was terrible. Joey and Rachel storyline was trite. Just very forced, also after Chandler and Monica got married, those characters got awful as well.

Early Seinfeld is awesome in its own way. The characters are less defined and it takes its time with things, but that's good in its own way. That said, Kramer in particular isn't quite there yet in the first season or so.

Or George. He is so relaxed in the first series or whatever he seems like he's asleep.
Love rage a holics George. ;)

It was lesser, and I agree the Joey-Rachel storyline was a lame idea, but it was still watchable.

Or George. He is so relaxed in the first series or whatever he seems like he's asleep.
Love rage a holics George. ;)
Yep, he is less defined, and seemingly too smart and stable, almost a completely different character in the first few eps. But he was still effective as a sitcom character. Kramer on the other hand just feels awkward and unsure in the first few eps, even by Kramer standards. I've never been a massive Kramer fan anyway, but he just feels off in the early episodes.

I remember reading somewhere that early on Alexander thought George was based on Woody Allen instead of Larry David, and you can certainly see the Woody in him early on, and filtered through the early seasons.

Yeah same thing here, the few that I saw recently just were not funny.

but even the sets just look out of date

Kingswood Country - saw some of it recently on 7TWO and I don't think it's aged well.Maybe it's because jokes are about people [TV stars,pollies...etc] in the 70's/early 80's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back