TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Recently i've rewatched some of my fav shows all the way through for the 2nd time.
Friday Night Lights, Lost & The Wire.
In alot of ways they were better the 2nd time
What are some you can watch multiple times?

dart

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Claremont Jets
Sopranos - Obviously you can go from start to finish, but what makes the series great is that you can pick almost any episode and watch it on its own and get something out of it, some episodes are better for this than others of course, but there are so many that can stand alone it makes for great rewatchability.

Other shows I've found myself rewatching:

The Office (UK or US)
30 Rock (first few seasons)
Breaking Bad
I can definitely see myself giving Fargo a rewatch again at some point, it's still too fresh though.
*list not finished

Scrubs. Gone through all the episodes 3 times now.

Friends as well. Always chuck it on while watching dinner, I've seen some of the episodes 3 or 4 times and still as good as ever.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
While Friends is WAY FAR from the best ever sitcom, I find it gives me more laughs on repeated viewing when compared to better shows, such as Seinfeld and the Simpsons, etc.
Maybe it's coz Friends has a lot of cheap jokes, based partly on Joey or Chander's silly facial expressions

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
MASH
Big Bang Theory
Just Shoot Me
Breaking Bad
Law & Order
Seinfeld
Homicide Life On The Streets
Malcolm In The Middle
Scrubs [except the final season]
I've said this before, but Just Shoot Me is an underrated show, which was eventually crucified by NBC farking around with it's time-slot, and demanding that Rena Sofer be added to the cast in season 7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Shoot_Me!#Series_history

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Yeah I forgot about Friends, don't watch it nowadays but a few years back me and my gf used to watch it a fair bit.
I also forgot Arrested Development & Curb Your Enthusiasm, both have great replay value.
I've particularly seen season 8 of Curb a lot of times.

TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Comedies/sitcoms are the easiest to rewatch, dramas and shows based on cliffhangers/suspense aren't as good the second time round. Mainly because you know exactly what episodes you're waiting for and what happens in them the "OMG" factor is completely gone.

When I watched the shows I mentioned in the OP again I actually picked up on a lot of little details I missed the first time.
Also when I first watched Lost I had mixed feelings about the finale but now I understood it better and loved it.

Mar 25, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Californication.
Two and a Half Men.

I'm a fan or ribald/risque humour more than any other. Couldn't care less about the pc white knights and other feminazis who lambaste these show for being 'sexist', 'misogynist' blah, blah.. tell it to someone who cares. :D

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Most of my favourites stand up to a rewatch, just rarely find the time to revisit a series.

I've rewatched all of The Wire, Homicide: LOTS, Breaking Bad and Oz, all great second time around, actually even better.

In recent years I also got into the habit of eating dinner during the Friends/Seinfeld/BBT reruns on FTA. I feel like I've seen every episode at least once, all excellent syndication programs. MASH is another great one, and I always felt that even something second tier like That 70s Show found it's home in syndication.

I find that when you're not wondering what will happen next, you appreciate things in a different way. Their richness is more appreciable the second time around. And with something as lengthy as a TV series, there will always be the odd plotline or arc where you go "I totally forgot about that!".

If you can't rewatch one of your favourite series every 3-7 years, and enjoy it as fully as you did the first time, then your tastes have probably changed a lot in that time, or it probably wasn't all that good to begin with (nostalgia).

Last edited:
I can sit down and some from the 60's and 70's, but there is something about 80's shows I don't like anymore, I can't rewatch them, even if it has been 30 years since I last saw them.

As for more modern ones (90's and onwards), if I enjoyed them the first time I can sit down and watch them again without kringing too much.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Re-watching The Wire for the first time atm, 1/2 way thru season 2, as probably mentioned by others, the sign of a great show for me is when it is as good as if not better 2nd/3rd time around, & The Wire is certainly that.

Watched all my other fav's multiple times, Sop's, Dwood, BB, 6FU, HoC, and comedies that hold up - IASIP, Testees, Louie, Fawlty T.

GWSP

Team Captain
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Just rewatched the first 5 series of The League with the Mrs. She loved it for the first time and the second time around was just as funny for me.

Back