TV shows

Remove this Banner Ad

On SBS this year, but already finished, was Persons of Interest (not to be confused with a CBS drama of the same name). Excellent series, about people who were spied on by ASIO in the post-WWII period, at the height of the Cold War. Went on until the 1970s. Fascinating and terrifying at the same time. The paranoia was breathtaking, as was the ineptitude of ASIO. At one point, when author Frank Hardy was seen as a threat to national security, ASIO spied on a left wing book store selling Power Without Glory, to obtain details of people who purchased the book!

Another outstanding recently finished series on SBS was Generation War. Highly recommended drama about the lives of five friends from Berlin, and their experiences of the war, as Germans. A view from the other side, if you like, about the horrors they went through. Joins a steadily increasing output of literary and dramatic accounts of the lives of ordinary Germans at the time, and a reminder that many did not support the war and were horrified by the Nazis.

Last edited:
Talk about MILF!
Friday Night Lights was a great show.
That's where I first heard of her anyway.
Love that show. Poor old Tim Riggins. Reminds me of Jesse from Breaking Bad. Always getting the rough end of the pineapple!

Love that show. Poor old Tim Riggins. Reminds me of Jesse from Breaking Bad. Always getting the rough end of the pineapple!
The hell man?
He got all the hot chicks...especially Minka Kelly...
Poor anybody but him :p

The hell man?
He got all the hot chicks...especially Minka Kelly...
Poor anybody but him :p
He did. But he also got the blame for all the bad s**t that happened, locked up because of his dickhead brother etc. Lyla used to s**t me to tears. Tyra though,:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took me till a couple of weeks ago to start watching Game of Thrones and had three seasons down within 5 days (finally, something to do over this annoying uni break). Excellent stuff and I find myself so emotionally invested in certain characters that its a little ridiculous. Suffice to say, I cant wait till season four begins.

Hannibal is the other show I've watched recently and its pretty epic in its own right. If you like your psychological thrillers and dont mind a bit of cannibalism in your viewing diet, its really in a class of its own. Great acting to and for fans of the original Hannibal movies, the story takes place prior to Red Dragon. Arrow has been pretty cool so far if you can get past the at times horrible acting.. which i can, being a bit of a nerd.

The Crazy Ones with Robin Williams is one of the best new comedies going around. Hes such a brilliant comedian and the cast around him are terrific comic foils.. its must see in my opinion. Modern Family just continues to be awesome and New Girl is pretty cool too. If you havent seen Happy Endings, i suggest the first two seasons which are absolutely superb. Too bad it was axed after season three.

I used to love Big Bang Theory, but ive gone off it lately for no particular reason. How I Met Your Mother however is a different story.. They took a show that was absolutely brilliant and just made it so stale and dull imo. Extending shows for the hell of it isnt always good for the product (see Supernatural seasons 6 - onwards).

How I Met Your Mother however is a different story.. They took a show that was absolutely brilliant and just made it so stale and dull imo. Extending shows for the hell of it isnt always good for the product (see Supernatural seasons 6 - onwards).
They shot themselves in the foot massively by dragging an entire season out over the length of 2 days. I still really enjoy it, but apart from the episode that followed the Mother, it hasn't reached the heights of the glory days. I still love this show to death though, and am getting pretty sad that it will be all over in 3 weeks time. 3 WEEKS!:(

They shot themselves in the foot massively by dragging an entire season out over the length of 2 days. I still really enjoy it, but apart from the episode that followed the Mother, it hasn't reached the heights of the glory days. I still love this show to death though, and am getting pretty sad that it will be all over in 3 weeks time. 3 WEEKS!:(

Honestly DT, they lost me about halfway through season 7. I remember counting like 6 really average episodes in a row before the doctor called time on that one. They just werent fresh or imaginative and they had too much focus on Barney, who shouldnt be the focal point of the show. Also, Lily lost all identity after season two as well, so she became a non factor. Its disappointing because i loved the show so much early on

Honestly DT, they lost me about halfway through season 7. I remember counting like 6 really average episodes in a row before the doctor called time on that one. They just werent fresh or imaginative and they had too much focus on Barney, who shouldnt be the focal point of the show. Also, Lily lost all identity after season two as well, so she became a non factor. Its disappointing because i loved the show so much early on
9 seasons is a long time, so it's pretty inevitable that it couldn't sustain the same quality for that entire time, but I still get enjoyment out of it and look forward to each episode every week. I think the casting for the Mother was just genius, and I wish that we could see more of her than just flash-forwards.

This is easily amongst my favourite shows of all-time, so maybe I'm biased. I re-watch every season, whenever the latest season ends. Which means that I've seen season 1, about 8 times.:eek: Season 1 and 2 are the best.

9 seasons is a long time, so it's pretty inevitable that it couldn't sustain the same quality for that entire time, but I still get enjoyment out of it and look forward to each episode every week. I think the casting for the Mother was just genius, and I wish that we could see more of her than just flash-forwards.

This is easily amongst my favourite shows of all-time, so maybe I'm biased. I re-watch every season, whenever the latest season ends. Which means that I've seen season 1, about 8 times.:eek: Season 1 and 2 are the best.

Yeah thats fair enough man. Im like that with Frasier, always cracks me up nomatter how many times ive seen the episodes. But youre right, season one and two are just awesome to watch

never watched justified. might have a squiz, im all up to date on the americans
1st season starts slow (a couple of standalone episodes while building the plot) but season 2 is some of the best television I've seen.

On SBS this year, but already finished, was Persons of Interest (not to be confused with a CBS drama of the same name). Excellent series, about people who were spied on by ASIO in the post-WWII period, at the height of the Cold War. Went on until the 1970s. Fascinating and terrifying at the same time. The paranoia was breathtaking, as was the ineptitude of ASIO. At one point, when author Frank Hardy was seen as a threat to national security, ASIO spied on a left wing book store selling Power Without Glory, to obtain details of people who purchased the book!

Another outstanding recently finished series on SBS was Generation War. Highly recommended drama about the lives of five friends from Berlin, and their experiences of the war, as Germans. A view from the other side, if you like, about the horrors they went through. Joins a steadily increasing output of literary and dramatic accounts of the lives of ordinary Germans at the time, and a reminder that many did not support the war and were horrified by the Nazis.

Lol dad loves that he always brings it up and for Christmas my sister got it for him on DVD she didn't realize there were two shows with the same name

Talk about MILF!
Friday Night Lights was a great show.
That's where I first heard of her anyway.

Clear eyes, full hearts. Can't lose!

Season 1 of FNL was great for a network television show. Explosions in the Sky were such a great fit to score it.

Texas forever.

Looking forward to the True Detective finale tonight, yellow king gon' get his.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back