Perry Pie

All Australian
Sep 19, 2009
Liverpool
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Besiktas J.K.
We could have 2 competitions. The AFL Premiership and the AFL Cup.

The AFL Premiership - all clubs play each other once (18 weeks with one split round) - top 8 and finals as now. (Everyone gets at least 1 Friday home game?). Total of 22 weeks including the split round to give a bye and finals.

The AFL Cup - 3 divisions of 6 play each other once. (5 weeks). Top 4 in each group play finals (12 teams). Division winners and team finishing second with the best record qualify for home quarter finals. The other teams finishing second and the two teams with the best 3rd placed records get home qualifiers against the remaining teams finishing 3rd and 4th. Straight knock out in the finals. The cup takes a total of 9 weeks to complete (5 H & A weeks, Qualifiers, Qtr Finals, Semis, Final).

The Cup rounds and finals are weaved into the season. Say start the season with 1 or 2 cup games then alternate with the Premiership games until the Cup is concluded.

Example, the season could start on the weekend of the 18 March 17 with cup games. The cup played alternate weeks would have a grand final on the 8th July. The Premiership H & A season would start the weekend of the 25th March and ends 16 Sept weekend with the Grand Final on the 14th October (no replay so MCG free after?).

Advantages include plenty of byes for most clubs in the mid season, two distinct competitions to play for, an extra competition sponsorship to sell and tighter Premiership season with everyone playing everyone else once in the H & A.

To make sure everyone takes the cup seriously a round 1 pick for the winners, round 2 for runners up and round 3 for the teams knocked out in the semi finals.

I like it, but doubt the people in charge of the game will. Should be massive prize money to overall winners and probably group winners as well.

I'm sorry, I really don't see the point of introducing a cup competition when the existing fixture remains unbalanced and players are seeking more byes than matches to play.

Also, players wouldn't care about getting higher draft picks. Throw more prize money at them as an incentive.

I'm sorry, I really don't see the point of introducing a cup competition when the existing fixture remains unbalanced and players are seeking more byes than matches to play.

Also, players wouldn't care about getting higher draft picks. Throw more prize money at them as an incentive.

One of the points is to have a balanced premiership. Everyone plays everyone else once in the premiership. The idea of the cup H & A group games is to make up for the 5 rounds lost from the premiership.
Players dont care about draft pick, clubs do. It also does not cost much.

One of the points is to have a balanced premiership. Everyone plays everyone else once in the premiership. The idea of the cup H & A group games is to make up for the 5 rounds lost from the premiership.
Players dont care about draft pick, clubs do. It also does not cost much.
I know you've put a fair bit of thought into your OP, but I remain unconvinced a 'cup competition' is as beneficial as you'd like it to be. It's really just a glorified preseason competition mixed with the real season.
The AFL premiership is what matters most, to everyone involved in the game. A cup competition may have some merit to justify its own existence in isolation (e.g. Preseason), but not by Introducing cup matches to make up for inequities in the current premiership fixture.

We could have 2 competitions. The AFL Premiership and the AFL Cup.

The AFL Premiership - all clubs play each other once (18 weeks with one split round) - top 8 and finals as now. (Everyone gets at least 1 Friday home game?). Total of 22 weeks including the split round to give a bye and finals.

The AFL Cup - 3 divisions of 6 play each other once. (5 weeks). Top 4 in each group play finals (12 teams). Division winners and team finishing second with the best record qualify for home quarter finals. The other teams finishing second and the two teams with the best 3rd placed records get home qualifiers against the remaining teams finishing 3rd and 4th. Straight knock out in the finals. The cup takes a total of 9 weeks to complete (5 H & A weeks, Qualifiers, Qtr Finals, Semis, Final).

31 weeks? Never going to happen. Even if they could get extended access to the grounds that are shared with cricket, the AFLPA would have a fit.

This concept has taken everything that's been overhyped by outsiders and rejected by the AFL and the AFLPA, and wrapped them all up into one neat illogical bundle...

If Kerry Good had lined up against Collingwood in 1980 on the siren with the match result in the balance, but this time with a draft pick as the prize, I bet the ball would have inexplicably gone out of bounds on a right angle...!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back