Strategy U25 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

God Save Max King

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Taking a look into the future, something to think about (likely more after the Trade/Draft Period) is how we stack up in the U25 division and how that affects our window. From my understanding, the Saints have outlined that we want to be a top 4 team in 2018 and have a premiership by 2020, meaning that the 25yos will be 29-31 in the period in which we hope to win a flag.

FB: Wright - Bruce - Webster
HB: Savage - Delaney - Newnes
RK: Longer - Weller - Dunstan
CR: Billings - Ross - Acres
HF: Murdoch - White - Templeton
FF: Hickey - Stanley - Saunders

Int (from): Minchington, Curren, Markworth, Siposs, Lee, Pierce, Roberton, Draft Picks.

Where do you think this team is lacking? Which positions need improvement?

Will be great to see this 22 improve over the coming weeks (and years, for that matter) :):cool:

Thanks to Barrels for the idea, BTW.

Forward and midfield is where it's lacking currently the back line is coming along OK i think but still need a few more pieces to the puzzle back there.

Where do you think this team is lacking? Which positions need improvement?.
If I was to be honest, it's a pretty good-ordinary right across the board.

Billings & Acres the only star-power in there...

I reckon we will have to replace most of Savage, Weller, Curren, Ross, Murdoch, Saunders, minchington & Siposs if we are any chance of becoming a top 4 side.

Bruce, Markworth, Hickey, Longer, Lee & Pierce I would like to see play a lot more footy before I can say either way.

Last edited:
If I was to be honest, it's a pretty good-ordinary right across the board.

Billings & Acres the only star-power in there...

I reckon we will have to replace most of Savage, Weller, Curren, Ross, Murdoch, Saunders, minchington & Siposs if we are any chance of becoming a top 4 side.

Bruce, Markworth, Hickey, Longer, Lee & Pierce I would like to see play a lot more footy before I can say either way.
I reckon you're jumping on some of those too quickly. Still reckon AT LEAST Ross and Murdoch can become really good-elite inside mids.

B: Wright Delaney Roberton

HB: Savage Bruce Webster

C: Acres Dunstan Newnes

HF: Murdoch Stanley Billings

FF: Lee White Eli

R: Hickey Steven Ross

Int: Weller Markworth Saunders Curren

Best 18 is ok it's when you get to the bench is where you start to struggle a bit.

We need a couple of key defenders who can provide some rebound and support for the other defenders.

Wouldn't surprise me if Bruce is groomed to be the Delaney replacement (if he gets a bit old by the time we're back up there) with the other talls all capable of rebounding. I think that's what Richo wants given we saw plenty of Delaney/Gwilt/Gilbert or Delaney/Gwilt/Fisher with Bruce playing either forward or in the VFL.

Apart from that I think we're tracking pretty well TBH. With a couple more high draft picks coming in we should be laughing!

Steven. Armo. Dunstan. Billings. Weller. Acres. Petracca. Is already looking like a pretty decent midfield. Add to that Ross and Minch once they get their game right. Throw in the bull Murdoch. Its not bad at all. We need some outside run but Petracca could be that last piece of the puzzle through there. We can then go hard for kpp's in the next few drafts and were sorted for the next 10 years.
I like the fact that billings, murdoch, petracca are all fwd/mids. Even Curren is a fwd/mid. Means they kick goals from the midfield. The more of them u have the better.
It was a major part of our game that was lacking during our window.

The problem I have with that team is it just screams mediocrity at the moment. As it stands now, too many of the midfielders in particular look like being solid players, but probably won't be anything special (I know things can change and I'm optimistic that they will but I'm yet to be convinced). This is why it's so vital that we continue to get as many high draft picks as possible so we can build a team with premiership winning quality. I like what Pelchen and co. have done so far, but there is a bloody long way to go.

I reckon you're jumping on some of those too quickly. Still reckon AT LEAST Ross and Murdoch can become really good-elite inside mids.
I agree that I am probably being harsh in throwing a lot of players in the "average" boat… but I am trying to be objective. The reality is that at least half of those blokes won't take us back up the ladder, if they all did we could just stop recruiting young guys.

Ross & Murdoch could potentially become decent AFL footballers, but I really can't see them becoming elite at all.

I want them all to become guns, but when you have a quick look at the young talent Gold Coast & GWS have, you realise that most of our current young guys aren't going to be able to compete… hopefully a few surprise us and blow us away.

I agree that I am probably being harsh in throwing a lot of players in the "average" boat… but I am trying to be objective. The reality is that at least half of those blokes won't take us back up the ladder, if they all did we could just stop recruiting young guys.

Ross & Murdoch could potentially become decent AFL footballers, but I really can't see them becoming elite at all.

I want them all to become guns, but when you have a quick look at the young talent Gold Coast & GWS have, you realise that most of our current young guys aren't going to be able to compete… hopefully a few surprise us and blow us away.
Hardly anyone would have thought Josh Kennedy would become an elite inside mid before he transitioned to Sydney. Sometimes players need time and opportunity (Lenny leaving creates this) to develop and hone their craft. Not everyone comes in with a bang like a dunstan for example. I agree some will probably only be average but I think some have the tools to improve to the elite level.
Probably just being too optimistic though haha

Hardly anyone would have thought Josh Kennedy would become an elite inside mid before he transitioned to Sydney. Sometimes players need time and opportunity (Lenny leaving creates this) to develop and hone their craft. Not everyone comes in with a bang like a dunstan for example. I agree some will probably only be average but I think some have the tools to improve to the elite level.

Exactly. People have lost the plot with how long it takes to develop these kids. I honestly thought Goddard was the worst number one pick of all time. When he made it past 50 games I thought he'd done well. Joey wasn't even getting games, Lenny was okay but nothing special early, Kosi looked incredible in his first year while Rooey didn't even play. It's impossible to tell who will be the best of those guys. Jack Steven was pretty old before he'd played enough footy to tell what he'd be. I think guys like Saunders are developing along like regular footballers should but who knows which ones will have the right mix of talent, competitiveness and application to be stars. We had Xavier Clarke pencilled in for a superstar and Joey was just someone to have as back up for a few years before he was delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. People have lost the plot with how long it takes to develop these kids. I honestly thought Goddard was the worst number one pick of all time. When he made it past 50 games I thought he'd done well. Joey wasn't even getting games, Lenny was okay but nothing special early, Kosi looked incredible in his first year while Rooey didn't even play. It's impossible to tell who will be the best of those guys. Jack Steven was pretty old before he'd played enough footy to tell what he'd be. I think guys like Saunders are developing along like regular footballers should but who knows which ones will have the right mix of talent, competitiveness and application to be stars. We had Xavier Clarke pencilled in for a superstar and Joey was just someone to have as back up for a few years before he was delisted.
I remember thinking that Steven was going to be a ripper very early on when he kicked 3 goals in the wet against Geelong.

I hope as much as you guys that some pop up and become stars, but at this stage I haven't seen a lot to suggest it… Saunders has elite pace and endurance, so I can see him becoming a very solid footballer if he can slow down when he disposes of the ball.

As I said in the other thread - adding JOR to make Stan happy - we get Schoenmakers, JOR and Membrey and things start to get brighter and brighter...

Using Rahul's template:

FB: Wright - Bruce - Schoenmakers
CR: O'Rourke - Ross - Acres
HF: Membrey - White - Billings
FF: Hickey - Stanley - Templeton

Int (from): Webster, Murdoch, Saunders, Minchington, Curren, Markworth, Siposs, Lee, Pierce, Roberton, Draft Picks

I am not a Saints fan, so forgive my ignorance, but I see a few holes to fill. I don't know your younger players as well as most of you though, so you might think some players I have left out are 'locks', where I have a ????

B: Wright Delaney ????
C: ???? Dunstan Acres
HF: Billings Stanley ????
F: ???? ???? Templeton
FOLL: Hickey Newnes Ross

BENCH: Longer Curren Murdoch Saunders

*edits*
Savage added to hbf from interchange
Ross added to rover
Saunders added to interchange

If Saints can add Membrey (fp) and O'Rourke (w) in the trade period this year, and end up with their desired 3 picks in the top 20 as stated (and with pick 1 as the carrot, that should be no issue), they could do very very well. Three picks in top 20 = a full forward (McCartin?/Jaksch?/McKenzie?), a tall back (Lever?/Goddard?/Jaksch?) and a half forward (Laverde?/Weller?/Ahern?)

I think Saints should try to do a Pick 1 for Pick 3, O'Rourke and Jaksch, and on trade Pick 3 to GCS for Pick 7 and 14, and look to pick Laverde at 7 and Goddard at 14.

B: Wright Delaney GODDARD
C: O’ROURKE Dunstan Acres
HF: Billings Stanley LAVERDE
F: MEMBREY JAKSCH Templeton
FOLL: Hickey Newnes Ross

BENCH: Longer Curren Murdoch Saunders

add a another year or two of trades and drafts and you will have a pretty handy side :)

Last edited:
I am not a Saints fan, so forgive my ignorance, but I see a few holes to fill. I don't know your younger players as well as most of you though, so you might think some players I have left out are 'locks', where I have a ????

B: Wright Delaney ????
HB: ???? Bruce Webster
C: ???? Dunstan Acres
HF: Billings Stanley ????
F: ???? ???? Templeton
FOLL: Hickey Newnes ????

BENCH: Longer Curren Savage Murdoch

Pretty good effort. Probably slot Savage onto the other back flank.

Saunders and Ross the two missing that probably most deserve to be listed somewhere - Wing and follower?

Desperately needs line breaking leg speed. Hope we get some in this draft.
Definitely agree. Also needs some star-power, hopefully we have a game-breaker in Petracca in the upcoming draft.

POST Trade Period:

HF: Membrey* - White - Templeton
FF: Murdoch - Hickey - Petracca*
INT: Pick 21, Pick 22^, Markworth, Lee

*Obviously haven't joined our team yet, are all but locks and should play good footy in 2015.
^Unless it is Reece McKenzie, don't think a key forward will be ready to go from Day 1.

Definitely agree. Also needs some star-power, hopefully we have a game-breaker in Petracca in the upcoming draft.

POST Trade Period:

HF: Membrey* - White - Templeton
FF: Murdoch - Hickey - Petracca*
INT: Pick 21, Pick 22^, Markworth, Lee

*Obviously haven't joined our team yet, are all but locks and should play good footy in 2015.
^Unless it is Reece McKenzie, don't think a key forward will be ready to go from Day 1.
Still think your man Beasley would be very useful as a 3rd tall defender... Or Le Grice as the extra big man in the backline.

And where's Josh Saunders?

Thats a good point cuzo:thumbsu:
Going back to Stewie Loewes career. Buckets was obviously already a good player before Plugger left for the Swans. Big Stewie was usually kicking 40 odd goals a yr.
But during Pluggers last yr at the Saints Stewie missed a few games and kicked less than 20 goals for the season. So when it was official that Lockett was leaving there was a fair bit of doom n gloom about who would kick our goals.
We needed Loewe to be a much stronger presence closer to goal. And the big fella didnt let us down.
The first 2 seasons that he was thrown in the deep end he kicked 76 & 90 goals. It was a fantastic effort from a bloke who was known for marking everything but being a pretty wayward shot at goal.
Opportunity certainly does bring out the best in some people. Im really looking forward to see how Dunstan responds after another pre season under his belt & not having Hayes along side him .

FB: Wright - Delaney - Webster
HB: Savage - Bruce - Newnes
C: Acres - Ross - Billings
HF: Petracca - White - Murdoch
FF: Templeton - Hickey - Membrey
R: Longer - Dunstan - Steven
I/C: Weller - Lee - Roberton - Curren
EXT: Saunders - Minchington - Markworth

Rahul the only one giving Membrey a game? I hope he is good enough to walk straight into the team, otherwise why bother with him?

Obviously he improves the squad overall and we hope he has the potential to become a best 22 player.

He's only 20 years old (same draft as Wright, White, Murdoch and Saunders) and so far none of those are even good enough to walk straight into the team - perhaps Wright if he could go a week without breaking something.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do in the NAB Cup.

EDIT: So this is the U25 Best 22 thread. My bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back