UEFA Champions League: Match Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

We haven't gone out and aggressively poached starlets from other clubs if that's what you're asking. We have turned blokes like Durm, Hoffman (although out on loan), Kagawa, Sahin, Goetze and Lewandowski into much better players than thewer

Were these players developed at their clubs, or poached once they were at their peak? Had any of them won a title, played ucl or been recognised as world class before they were bought? No. This is the issue. They were not at the level of draxler/goretzka/ter Stegen at a young age, nor lewandowski or Goetze at 23. Also, reus is a product of BVB youth. Nice Wikipedia job though
So is Hummels.

Reus was considered world class but don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

So is Hummels.

Reus was considered world class but don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.
How many world class 23 year olds are bought for €1m under their release clause, and for a fair bit under €20m at that. Not many, if any. Reus had one good season at 'Gladbach, before that he was small and constantly injured. He declared his will to leave 'Gladbach to win titles and play UCL. SO no, he Reus wasn't pursued as a world class AM and Dortmund didn't see Gladbach as a threat even after their 4th place. That's the difference Kaiser, Borussia develop young players, Bayern wait till they are decent and then poach. And don't get started on schweinsteiger/muller etc all being youth products. Put the shoe on the other foot. You would be pissed if we tapped up Muller a few years back, just like Schalke are rightfully going to be pissed if the rumours about KH-R and Draxler are true

So you're gonna compare a guy that Bayern willing loaned then sold to Dortmund as oppose to, say, tapping up their best striker for 18 months and made him leave on a free?

You are devoid of facts yourself, living in your lovely fantasy world
Comparing Reus and Goetze. Dortmund bought Reus because his buyout clause was so low just like Goetze's. Poor management by Gladbach and poor management by Dortmund.

Comparing Reus and Goetze. Dortmund bought Reus because his buyout clause was so low just like Goetze's. Poor management by Gladbach and poor management by Dortmund.

Nah mate, Dortmund didn't even activate his buyout clause. He may have been undervalued by Gladbach, but 17m was probably a reasonable amount for him, as was 37m for Goetze when Dortmund renewed his contract. What I'm getting at is Dortmund didn't butter up Reus before they enquired about him, and didnt go behind anyones back. Thats what annoys me. I am all for teams buying players, don't get me wrong. But there is a difference between making an enquiry for a player, and going behind everyones back, speaking directly to the players agent, convincing them to sign and all this time putting out lies about 'oh he's happy in the team he's currently in, etc etc'

Typeclub what doesn't convince you that Dortmund are as ambitious? Surely its not the fact that they won the double three years back with a team worth 15m, got their finances in check and then tried all they could to remove release clauses from all players contracts, and spent 50m in the last two seasons? It was over ambition that caused them to almost go bankrupt, it was ambition that drove them to keep their starlets at all costs (including adding release clauses if necessary) and it is ambition that will see them move back to serious title contenders in the next few seasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning the title with a team worth 15m I would say was more down to the coaching than the off field ambition.
did you skip over the part where we got over ambitious, almost went bankrupt and then had to develop and buy smartly to get back on track and to the top of the ladder?

whats so weak about that team?

Oops, typo.

did you skip over the part where we got over ambitious, almost went bankrupt and then had to develop and buy smartly to get back on track and to the top of the ladder?

It doesn't sound ambitious to put release clauses in your best players contracts. They were obviously focused more on getting out of debt or whatever mess they were in.

Oops, typo.

It doesn't sound ambitious to put release clauses in your best players contracts. They were obviously focused more on getting out of debt or whatever mess they were in.

You're aware every player in Spain has a release clause right? Also this is unrelated, but since when do you support Galaxy, I swear you change teams every second month.

Maybe, just maybe the Dortmund players wouldn't sign unless a release clause was put in
which given their history in the mid 2000's, going close to bankruptcy, relegation and through a couple of managers a year, its no wonder that they needed to convince their young stars to stay at home and build toward what was ultimately a great period between 2010-2012, and still continuing, minus the departure of Shinji, Lucas Barrios, Goetze and Lewandowski. I still would like to see Leitner in the team though

You're aware every player in Spain has a release clause right? Also this is unrelated, but since when do you support Galaxy, I swear you change teams every second month.
Yeah but that's because of law. Very few of the release clauses in Spain are realistic market value like the carrots that Dortmund dangle around.

Lol I don't really support them but I wanted a team in America. I thought Los Galacticos was a cool name

Remove this Banner Ad

Back