UEFA Champions League: Match Day 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh right, that makes sense.

I know why they do it but it would be so much better if the whole thing was random.

i like keeping those who played against each other in the group stage apart but not a fan of the country restrictions.

How did Bilbao go? Also Real, Barca and Athletico had cup cake draws.
Thats what happens when you have 3 top seeded teams. Its not like the small seeds from Bundesliga drew top teams from pot 1 anyway. They drew Arsenal, Monaco and Chelsea

Bilbao went the way of Liverpool

:D had foxtel go on my laptop in the car as I drove to Meredith music festival. Just glad I was at a red light when Nasri launched that rocket!

Why do you guys care about which league is stronger? I couldn't give a **** if the Premier League is the 1st, 2nd or 5th best, makes no difference to me. I'm a supporter of a team not a league. It's bizarre how defensive you get about it.
Agreed PL is 5th best

Couldn't really care whether the premier league is considered the best or the worst.

Why would I celebrate the performances of rivals in a competition that we're trying to do well in?

Just weird.

Couldn't really care whether the premier league is considered the best or the worst.

Why would I celebrate the performances of rivals in a competition that we're trying to do well in?

Just weird.

Nation coefficients might be the difference between your side in the future either playing Champions League, Europa League, or neither.

That being said, in the case of the Premier League there would have to be a few shocking seasons in a row before it starts losing the 4th CL spot.

Nation coefficients might be the difference between your side in the future either playing Champions League, Europa League, or neither.

That being said, in the case of the Premier League there would have to be a few shocking seasons in a row before it starts losing the 4th CL spot.

It's just so unlikely that England will lose a spot I'm not too bothered. The last 5 years England has been ranked 1st, equal 2nd, 3rd, 2nd and currently 3rd in the rankings. Even this season England is well ahead of the 4th ranked side (Italy) that wants to take the extra spot in the competition.

From a selfish point of view, I'd be fairly confident of finishing top 3 most years, and the market pool millions divided by three is worth more to us than market pool millions divided by four. Even Liverpool being knocked out in the groups is potentially worth a few million quid to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just so unlikely that England will lose a spot I'm not too bothered. The last 5 years England has been ranked 1st, equal 2nd, 3rd, 2nd and currently 3rd in the rankings. Even this season England is well ahead of the 4th ranked side (Italy) that wants to take the extra spot in the competition.

From a selfish point of view, I'd be fairly confident of finishing top 3 most years, and the market pool millions divided by three is worth more to us than market pool millions divided by four. Even Liverpool being knocked out in the groups is potentially worth a few million quid to us.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with your assertion re: English Premier League and the general argument that if you support an English club in the CL, you'd want the rival to be knocked out for the extra money. It's just that with supporters of some clubs like say in France, Scotland, Netherlands etc, their coefficients are right at the borderline of gaining/losing European spots and it makes sense that they 'wish success' on their rivals if they are still in a European competition.

So you don't care if you have 4 teams in the CL vs 1?

Chelsea got knocked out of the champions league group stages two years ago and finished with more co-efficient points than Arsenal and Man United who progressed to the knockouts.

England will never be in the position where they have only 1 place in the champions league. I doubt they will ever be in the position where they have less than four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back