UEFA Champions League SF: Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No, you are absolutely correct AC. If the ball is out of play a free kick cannot be awarded or a foul paid. That is what the rules clearly state.

Wait, actually? Or is that sarcasm.

Ever wonder why we beat Barca in the 2012 semis? Because entertainment doesn't win games.

Ask any Chelsea fan if they'd rather entertainment and just reach the knock outs like City, or play a defensive style and get close to winning the thing half the time. I know which one I'll take.

Did I say it does? All I said was that entertainment gets attention and appreciation and is at certain clubs demanded next to results.

With all respect, Chelsea doesn't come near Real Madrid's glamour and tradition and its fans don't have the same expectations. Not saying one's better than the other but the difference is there.

Yelle said:
The fans seek entertainment but the sides don't play to entertain, as that was so blatantly reflected in the game this morning. If you think players walk on to the pitch and play accordingly to entertain onlookers, you are a dead set moron.

Amazing how an innocent remark about entertainment gets completely pulled out of context. I did not say players are out to entertain only - winning comes first, however the desire to entertain is clearly there for some.

So annoyed he took that late free kick. Leave that to Lampard!
Lampard is like luiz at present and ronaldo for that matter. Most of his free kicks hit the wall or go sailing over. Lampards strength has never been free kicks, long range shooting off both feet is tremendous but free kicks occasionally brilliant often unreliable. Chelseas two best of recent times are drogba and mata imo

I am implying he may not actually be right.

Do you have an official source WC?

For your perusal:

http://www.wfms.org/Other/Football/FIFA/law12.html

Take note of: A PK can be awarded irrespective of the position of the ball, if in play, at the time an offense within the penalty-area is committed.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footb...eing/laws-of-the-game/law/newsid=1290864.html

is a definition of what is considered "in play" and "out of play". Any time the game is stopped the ball is "out of play" so therefore a foul cannot be awarded for an offence committed when the ball is not i play. That's why you will never see a free kick for shirt pulling on a corner before it is actually taken. Good enough for you Cruyffy :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ever wonder why we beat Barca in the 2012 semis? Because entertainment doesn't win games.

Ask any Chelsea fan if they'd rather entertainment and just reach the knock outs like City, or play a defensive style and get close to winning the thing half the time. I know which one I'll take.
Winning the thing half the time? Chelsea won it once relying on missed chances and penalties, and even then they needed to win it on penalties. You can only be that lucky once. Good football is sustainable, parking the bus and surviving is not.

Winning the thing half the time? Chelsea won it once relying on missed chances and penalties, and even then they needed to win it on penalties. You can only be that lucky once. Good football is sustainable, parking the bus and surviving is not.
hqdefault.jpg

Big difference there we didn't go out in the group stage in the next season and were one of the very best sides in Europe from 2005-2009 showing it was no fluke. We certainly didn't park the bus against Chelsea in the semis. I think the 0-0 away to Juventus was the only game where we really defended and just hung on fielding a severely weakened team.

Big difference there we didn't go out in the group stage in the next season and were one of the very best sides in Europe from 2005-2009 showing it was no fluke. We certainly didn't park the bus against Chelsea in the semis. I think the 0-0 away to Juventus was the only game where we really defended and just hung on fielding a severely weakened team.
?
Picture not aimed at you or Liverpool in any way.

My only issue with Chelsea mindset is that I think they would have won the league if they were a bit less focussed on defense and getting men behind the ball. Same token I think we would be well clear if we were less focussed on attack at all costs. Got to find the balance.

But in a two legged tie, you do what you've got to do. No-one gives a s**t about entertainment in a champions league semi.

Bayern logo = Liverpool?

Being a supporter of both Chelsea and freo I'm used to all the negativety about our wins from "neutrals". But I can tell you that winning ugly is a lot more satisfying than losing pretty. At the end of the day success gives me the most joy and I don't care what others outside the club think about how we achieved it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back