UFC 142 - Aldo vs Mendes

Remove this Banner Ad

Really enjoyable card to be honest, great to see Gonzaga get a win on his UFC return, and a sub from Belfort, probably his first since I was in nappies! :D And great to see Aldo in full flight, did get away with a fence grab but to win the way he did was epic! :thumbsu:

[/URL]

Yeah thats what I thought, on Sherdog they are overreacting as per usual but wasn't sure.

Was it just me or was Rumble and Belfort stood up too early on a couple of occassions?

Yeah exactly, I think there may be a few offended Mendes fans on there. According to them that one fence grab prevented Mendes ground and pounding to victory! :confused:

And I agree on the early standups for Vitor and Johnson, maybe the ref was influenced by the crowd a bit, they certainly got impatient when it hit the deck on a few occasions.

And I agree on the early standups for Vitor and Johnson, maybe the ref was influenced by the crowd a bit, they certainly got impatient when it hit the deck on a few occasions.

Maybe influenced by the weigh ins as well. I'm a big Johnson fan but missing weight multiple times is so unprofessional, really wanted Belfort to give him a beating.

Really enjoyable card to be honest, great to see Gonzaga get a win on his UFC return, and a sub from Belfort, probably his first since I was in nappies! :D And great to see Aldo in full flight, did get away with a fence grab but to win the way he did was epic! :thumbsu:

I reckon that could be one of the most iconic MMA images now, I know a lot of people actually got quite emotional at that celebration haha, it was pretty special though.

Was it just me or was Rumble and Belfort stood up too early on a couple of occassions?
Yeah, I thought the stand ups were very quick, at least compared to the usual. However, I quite liked the quick stand ups, made it much more interesting. However, I think in at least one of the cases, AJ wasn't given enough of a chance or opportunity to work from the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I thought the stand ups were very quick, at least compared to the usual. However, I quite liked the quick stand ups, made it much more interesting. However, I think in at least one of the cases, AJ wasn't given enough of a chance or opportunity to work from the top.

I like quick stand ups as well, should probably happen more often. I thought the first two were ok as Belfort had tied him pretty well in his guard. Though last looked as if Rumble was trying to work for a better position and got stood up mid transition.

Johnson had spent all of his tickets, I wont bother watching him main event again, if it ever happens, until he learns to respect the industry and become a professional.

The DQ was rubbish, Mario will be embarrassed by that call.

Some great finishes

Yeah thats what I thought, on Sherdog they are overreacting as per usual but wasn't sure.

Yeah was thinking this as well, was wondering wtf was going on.

I went to the pub with the missus to watch it, she's seen bugger all fights and asked me why they were getting stood up? So obviously they were a bit hasty in that regard. I didn't mind though, Belfort is much more entertaining to watch on his feet. :D I was very satisfied with the outcome needless to say.

That Etim KO.. :eek:
He just went stiff as a board from about 45 degrees from the floor, insane!

Was the fence grab enough to lose points or just a warning?
I was just coming on here to ask if anyone else noticed that - I think he should have been deducted a point.

If only because if Mendes gets that takedown and hold Aldo down to the end of the round, maybe he wins the round, but without it, Aldo probably takes it. I don't think you can let Aldo off for that. If that takedown had happened, or the point had been deducted, the finish wouldn't have happened when it did, so it had major ramifications.

I think Yamasaki missed it on a very controversial night for him. I actually agreed with the Silva DQ though - Clear strikes to the back of the head en route to a KO = DQ every day of the week. It doesn't diminish Silva's performance, it just affects the record books, just like when Jon Jones was DQd against Matt Hamill.

I think Yamasaki missed it on a very controversial night for him. I actually agreed with the Silva DQ though - Clear strikes to the back of the head en route to a KO = DQ every day of the week.

I thought it was one fairly weak strike to the back of the head and didn't change what was going to happen. IMO If that was DQ worthy then half of the ground and pound wins would be as well. Either way Silva handled it with class and you're right it won't effect him at all.

Some absolutely awesome finishes this card. That Barboza KO was awesome. I agree with most about the Silva DQ being the wrong call, there would be a lot more DQs if they enforced it like the ref did that fight. Aldo finish was great too. Belfort gave Johnson what he deserved. Johnson looked like he was getting really tired so getting finished in the way that he did probably saved him from getting finished in a more devastating fashion. Palhares' leg locks are nasty, grabs a hold of it and cranks on it so quickly.

I thought it was one fairly weak strike to the back of the head and didn't change what was going to happen. IMO If that was DQ worthy then half of the ground and pound wins would be as well. Either way Silva handled it with class and you're right it won't effect him at all.
I think that there was more than one, and the tricky thing is that you can't actually know for certain how much they contributed to the KO.

I would have had it as a No Contest though, not a DQ - The strikes were clearly accidental, as he was making an attempt to strike the side of the head. That would have been the right decision.

Agree with all of this.

UFC 142: Aldo vs. Mendes will be a great fight. See you on Justin.tv, ustream, Greenfeedz.com after this fight

Agree cant wait. I think Aldo will pull off a great win, maybe a highlight finish seconds from the end of the first round. Though it might be marred by a little controversy maybe a fence grab on a big takedown. Should be good though. :thumbsu:

Wow. Was that the best UFC event ever? Surely it would go close. Just some amazing finishes in what was a freaking awesome show! However, I do think the event was slightly marred by a couple of things...

Jose Aldo vs Chad Mendes - As I predicted, Aldo back to his best, and he was just too much for Mendes, who lacked the all-round game of the champion.
Vitor Belfort vs Anthony Johnson - Belfort did well to finish Johnson, but I thought this fight was marred by the refereeing of Dan Mirgliotta. Three times Johnson looked to be in a pretty good position and the fight was stood up. Not kewl. Given that Belfort was the hometown favourite and the hit Johnson took to his credibility coming in overweight, you do have to wonder whether the ref may have had a little instruction there. I sure hope it's not a sign of things to come in the UFC. :confused:
Rousimar Palhares vs Mike Massenzio - Outstanding sub by Palhares of a type we rarely see.
Erick Silva vs Carlo Prater - Disappointing for Silva and proof that the UFC needs some kind of replay judge. To expect a ref to make a call like that with the naked eye just isn't right. However, I was even more disappointed by Joe Rogan's reaction. Now I'm a huge fan of Rogan, but the way he seemed to put the ref on the spot and dispute his call was not kewl at all.
Edson Barboza vs Terry Etim - Outstanding KO obviously after Barboza had controlled the fight. Another big scalp for him.

FX prelims
Thiago Tavares vs Sam Stout - Probably the most boring fight on the card, but still not bad.
Gabriel Gonzaga vs Edinaldo Oliveira - Wicked sub by Gonzaga. Good to see him get back to what he's capable of.
Ricardo Funch vs Mike Pyle - Nice KO by Pyle. He may get off the underacard next time.

Facebook prelim
Felipe Arantes vs Antonio Carvalho - Carva;ho showed a bit early, but excellent tenacity by Arantes got him the decision.

Awesome stuff! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back