UFC 144 Edgar vs Henderson and more..

Remove this Banner Ad

ComeOn!

Rookie
Feb 2, 2012
Hi All

Big matches upcoming next Sunday. What are your thoughts?

Who will be the winners:

Edgar vs Henderson
Jackson vs Bader
Hunt vs Kongo
Akiyama vs Shields
Okami vs Boetsch
Hioki vs Palaszewski
Pettis vs Lauzon

UFC144!

Lets get ready to rumble!

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Best card (on paper) in a long, long time. I'm excited for almost every fight on this card, including prelims. Just wish GSot was still on it.

Nov 1, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Insanely stacked card, one of the best I've seen. I have never seen such a stacked and high quality preliminary card before. And still the Main Card is 7 fights and every fight is good too! Can not wait.

Here's how I have it

Prelim winners
Zhang
Mizugaki
Fukuda
Yamamoto
Gomi

Main Card winners
Pettis
Hioki
Okami
Akiyama
Hunt
Jackson
Edgar

Henderson - But I always seem to underestimate Edgar
Bader - Think Rampage has lost "it"
Kongo - Would like to see Hunt win however
Shields
Boetsch
Hioki
Pettis

alfy!

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Main card

Lightweight Championship bout: United States Frankie Edgar (c) vs. United States Ben Henderson
Light Heavyweight bout: United States Quinton Jackson vs. United States Ryan Bader
Heavyweight bout: New Zealand Mark Hunt vs. France Cheick Kongo
Welterweight bout: Japan Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. United States Jake Shields
Middleweight bout: Japan Yushin Okami vs. United States Tim Boetsch
Featherweight bout: Japan Hatsu Hioki vs. Poland Bart Palaszewski
Lightweight bout: United States Anthony Pettis vs. United States Joe Lauzon

Preliminary card (FX)

Lightweight bout: Japan Takanori Gomi vs. Japan Eiji Mitsuoka
Bantamweight bout: Japan Norifumi Yamamoto vs. England Vaughan Lee
Middleweight bout: Japan Riki Fukuda vs. United States Steve Cantwell
Bantamweight bout: Japan Takeya Mizugaki vs. United States Chris Cariaso

Preliminary card (Facebook)

Featherweight bout: China Zhang Tiequan vs. Japan Issei Tamura

That's the card, for those wondering.

I have:

Edgar
Jackson
Kongo
Shields
Okami
Hioki
Pettis
Gomi
Lee
Cantwell
Mizugaki
Tiequan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gytre

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
C'mont/L'pool/Packers/Inter/Canucks
Agree that this card is unbelievably stacked with seven fights on the main card!

Main card

Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson - Bendo's a fantastic lightweight, but I just think quick, elusive Edgar is a very tough matchup for him. Getting Edgar down and keeping him there will be Bendo's only chance, but it's a tough ask. Edgar's boxing will be too much for Bendo and he'll pick him apart and win by wide decision. If he doesn't KO him.
Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Ryan Bader - Two quality fighters, both with KO power. Could go either way, but I think Bader is an improving fighter, whereas I don't think Jackson can any better. Based on that, Bader by decision.
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo - If Kongo can weather the early storm he can win it. But that's a big if with powerhouse Hunt. Hunt by TKO in the 1st.
Welterweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields - Intriguing matchup. Good to see Akiyama at welterweight and he'll be fired up to show something in his home country. I've been very unimpressed with Shields since he's joined the UFC and based on this, I'll go with Sexyama by TKO.
Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch - Tim Boetsch? I hope he gets paid well to take this fight. This is a big step down for Okami and I expect him to be far too good. Wins by TKO.
Featherweight bout: Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski - Never heard of the Pole so I'll tip the Jap.
Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon - Pettis to weather the early Lauzon storm and knock him out.

Preliminary card (FX)

Lightweight bout: Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka - Gomi's a legend. Presumably an easy fight for him?
Middleweight bout: Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell - Cantwell to save his UFC career and wins by decision against a decent opponent.

Can't wait!

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
For those picking Bader, how exactly do you see him winning? A decision win is by far the most likely, but for some reason I just don't see Bader lasting three rounds with Rampage without getting knocked out. But I'll be pulling for him, Henderson as well.

gytre

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
For those picking Bader, how exactly do you see him winning? A decision win is by far the most likely, but for some reason I just don't see Bader lasting three rounds with Rampage without getting knocked out.
Uses his wrestling. Probably similar to how Rashad beat Rampage. Presses Rampage against the cage, gets him down and beats up on him a bit but doesn't finish him. Decision.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Don't see the massive amount of hype behind this card. Edgar/Bendo is a terrific fight, but outside of that and the Pettis/Lauzon fight there's not too much I'm excited for.

Main card

Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson - Leaning towards Edgar, purely because he continues to just find a way to win. I think Bendo's a bad match up for him with his wrestling, sub defense and impressive arsenal of kicks, but think Edgar gets the job done by razor thin decision.

Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Ryan Bader - Horrible match up for Bader who doesn't have the wrestling or the stand up to hang with Rampage. I see this one ending early and brutally.

Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo - Huge step up for Hunt and one that I don't think he handles at all well. Kongo to take him down, bloody him up with elbows and get the stoppage before the end of the second round.

Welterweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields - Akiyama's struggled in the octagon and Shields should be able to work the fight to the mat and submit him.

Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch - Boetsch usually struggles with wrestlers better than himself and I think Okami takes this comfortably.

Featherweight bout: Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski - Bart looked great last time out against Griffin, but Hioki appears to be on the fast track to a title shot if he wins this so I'll take him to win a decision.

Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon - This should be a cracking start to the main card. I expect Lauzon will come out guns blazing and possibly get an early takedown, but Pettis has shown great ground defense so I don't think he gets much done. As is usually the case, I see Lauzon gassing and Pettis turning it on to get a stoppage win in the 3rd.

Prelims card

Lightweight bout: Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka - Know nothing about Mitsuoka, so I'll take Gomi to get back on track with a KO.

Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Vaughan Lee - Not seen Lee fight and would like to see Tamamoto get a run going in the UFC. Decision win to get him back on track.

Middleweight bout: Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell - Fukuda uses his wrestling to take a decision against the robot.

Bantamweight bout: Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso - TKO.

Featherweight bout: Zhang Tiequan vs. Issei Tamura - Zhang by decision.

Don't see the massive amount of hype behind this card. Edgar/Bendo is a terrific fight, but outside of that and the Pettis/Lauzon fight there's not too much I'm excited for.

lolwut?

gytre

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Ryan Bader - Horrible match up for Bader who doesn't have the wrestling or the stand up to hang with Rampage.
I'm surprised you've questioned Bader's wrestling. That's his big strength.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I'm surprised you've questioned Bader's wrestling. That's his big strength.
Bader does have good wrestling but I don't think he'll be able to take Rampage down, early on any way. The only recent fights that Rampage has been out-wrestled in were the Rashad Evans and Jon Jones fights. Evans just showed against Davis how good his MMA wrestling is and Jones easily out-wrestled Bader. I think Rampage will be able to keep it on the feet long enough to land the knockout blow.

Like others, what? A 7 fight main card where all 7 of the fights would most likely be main card fights at other events. I'm exited for all of the main card and a few of the prelims.

May 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Main card

Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar vs. Benson Henderson - not confident with this one, Frankie's certainly durable and has a lot of heart and Bendo's not great at any particular skill, thinking Edgar takes a reasonably contested decision win
Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Ryan Bader - awful style for Bader and probably going to be a terrible fight to watch too, Rampage isn't a career fighter anymore, he's a really good athlete that competes for money, Bader's got little to offer here but Rampage won't get the KO
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo - WAR HUNT, hoping and backing that he can stop Kongo but if it goes the distance he's probalby losing a decision
Welterweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields - Shields by sub, Sexyama won't be able to keep avoiding the takedowns
Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch - tempted to pick Boetsch but I suspect Okami will be too strong and muscle his way to a decision
Featherweight bout: Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski - not confident in this but Hioki should manage to get the takedowns and get a decision
Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon - great fight, there's a lot to like about Pettis but I'm not totally sold that he's elite and Joe is a monster in the first round, wouldn't surprise me if Lauzon catches him early

Prelims card

Lightweight bout: Takanori Gomi vs. Eiji Mitsuoka - pair of fights here that surely the local heroes can win, Gomi by TKO
Bantamweight bout: Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Vaughan Lee - again, Kid has to win this fight
Middleweight bout: Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell - decision
Bantamweight bout: Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso - TKO
Featherweight bout: Zhang Tiequan vs. Issei Tamura - Wolf by sub

Remove this Banner Ad

Back