Middleweight - Luke Rockhold v Tim Boetsch
Lightweight - Jim Miller v Yancy Medeiros
Featherweight - Max Holloway v Andre Fili

Flyweight - Joseph Benavidez v Tim Elliot
Lightweight - Takanori Gomi v Issac Vallie-Flagg
Womens Bantamweight - Jessamyn Duke v Bethe Correia
Lightweight - Danny Castillo v Charlie Brenneman

Bantamweight - Chris Beal v Patrick Williams

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought this deserved its own thread........

What a great card this looks like on paper, Lets hope it can live up.

The main event, My money is Jon Jones. I dont think GT has the skill set to defeat Jones. GT has the power but as we all know Jones won't allow himself to be in those positions. I expect a five round war :thumbsu:......Jon Jones to win one way or another

Pretty good card. Nowhere near the most stacked card in UFC history as Dana White has said. You get that from promoters though.

Jones could definitely run through Glover as he has most of his opponents, but I think a hard fought decision for Jones is how it'll go.

Davis did better standing with Machida than I expected, although I still think he clearly lost that fight. If Rumble can keep it standing for a significant amount of time he could put Davis away. Davis is likely to wear him down and either take a decision or submit him.

All I can think of this fight is that Boetsch is there to make Rockhold look great. Rockhold should be able to pick him apart on the feet.

Some other fights look alright. Benavidez/Elliot is a bit unlucky not to be on the main card, but the UFC have recently seemed to make sure the main event of the prelims is a good fight.

As expected, well from my POV Jones was not troubled but at least Glover went the distance. That may be more about Jones then Glover though.

Really impressed that with Rumble, looks to have found his division. Davis can hopefully shut up about a title shot now, he was never in the picture from a talent point of view after being dominated by someone (Rashad) who was dominated by Jones in turn.

He also lost to Machida in my opinion.

Great card.

Have to say that I lost my s**t when Holloway pulled off that choke, really like the kid and was awesome seeing him get the finish when he was likely down on the scorecards.

That flying knee. That Rockhold/Rumble/Jones/Miller performance.

Really good card. I don't know if there was anyone else available but it would have been good to see Rockhold against someone better than Boetsch. Obviously Boetsch won't see it this way but really he's lucky he got submitted without taking much damage. The inverted triangle combined with a kimura was a thing of beauty.

Can't fault the UFC at all for the Miller/Medeiros mismatch as it was on short notice but Miller/Green which was the original fight would have been great.

Jones was great. The first round was really competitive and the second wasn't bad but from then on Jones really took over. Only thing I didn't like was him having his fingers outstretched quite a bit. I recall there were some questioning Jones' chin a few fights back as it had never been tested; it has in his last two fights with Gustafsson and Glover landing solid shots and it has held up very well.

Jones recently mentioned how he's not thinking of going to HW any time soon, that's a wise decision if you ask me. He's got some good fights still at LHW anyway (Gustafsson 2, Cormier and potentially Rumble after the way he looked today).

A big what if for me is what if Rumble had always been at 205. Cutting down to 170 would have been an absolute nightmare. While it certainly had advantages as he was a couple of weight classes larger than his opponents come fight time, it also severely affected his cardio. Speaking of his cardio, it was hilarious in between rounds today as I believe Henri Hooft told Rumble that his "cardio is like sick". Rumble misheard and thought he said s**t rather than sick, he was a bit upset at that.

Rumble looked great today and Davis really didn't. Davis has a great wrestling background but it doesn't transfer into MMA as well as it could because he doesn't combine his striking with his wrestling at all well. Rumble didn't get tired, defended Davis' attempts to wrestle him perfectly the entire fight and his striking was really good (as usual).

The prelims had some good fights. Benavidez/Elliot was an entertaining fight with lots of scrambles and the finish was amazing. Gomi/Vallie-Flagg was an entertaining fight. Brenneman looked good in the first round and then Castillo nearly took his head off in the second. Beal's flying knee KO was sick but Williams looked totally at sea out there. Williams actually performed better than he looked though, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: It was really sad to see the UFC left Ortiz's name off of the graphic after the main event showing that Jones now has the most UFC LHW wins. Like really sad.

Last edited:
EDIT: It was really sad to see the UFC left Ortiz's name off of the graphic after the main event showing that Jones now has the most UFC LHW wins. Like really sad.
I thought that at first too but I think it was that they were only counting LHW wins from when the weight classes were adjusted to what they are presently, which was just before UFC 30 I think. Chuck had 16 UFC wins yet the graphic only said 13, three of his wins though came when it was the middleweight division and it was 200 pounds and under.

I thought that at first too but I think it was that they were only counting LHW wins from when the weight classes were adjusted to what they are presently, which was just before UFC 30 I think. Chuck had 16 UFC wins yet the graphic only said 13, three of his wins though came when it was the middleweight division and it was 200 pounds and under.
Yeah that's right, I came to that conclusion afterward as well. The list is correct in terms of a 205 pound LHW division. It's weird and inconsistent since they've always told us that Ortiz had successfully defended the LHW belt 5 times in a row. 3 of those defences were prior to the 205 pound class being introduced.

Yeah that's right, I came to that conclusion afterward as well. The list is correct in terms of a 205 pound LHW division. It's weird and inconsistent since they've always told us that Ortiz had successfully defended the LHW belt 5 times in a row. 3 of those defences were prior to the 205 pound class being introduced.
Selective hate.

Not a bad card, could've been better from a who's who of sorts and selling the card based on names. But the reality is, when you have Jones vs GT as the main event - they know people will buy it regardless of who else they put on the card.

Most of what I thought of the card has been summarised by others, but I thought i'd mention how good Rumble looked. Fantastic, he completely nullified Davis's primary game in the 1st round and thus demoralised him for the remaining rounds and he knew there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it. Rumble's style reminded me alot of how Robbie Lawler goes about it - just pushing forward in a bullying, overwhelming manner, same handfighting in between throwing heavy leather in volumes.

Rumble's style reminded me alot of how Robbie Lawler goes about it - just pushing forward in a bullying, overwhelming manner, same handfighting in between throwing heavy leather in volumes.

I'd never thought of that before, but you're not far from the mark. Both have lost the majority of their fights by submission too I'm pretty sure. :thumbsu:

I was thrilled Rumble came back, but thought Phil would be too good for him in his comeback. I couldn't get the Koscheck fight out of my head when I though of potential outcomes, but I was thrilled to see him appear to finally realise his potential. In hindsight, Phil was never winning that fight unless he could get it to the ground so I'd like to see him fight someone with a better all around game next. If Lil Nog could ever get healthy, that would be a great fight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back