MMA-UFC UFC 181 - 6th Dec - J.Hendricks vs R.Lawler ( WW Title)

Do we see a new champion or two at UFC 181

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Will have to watch it again....48-47 one way and 49-46 the other.
49-46 was questionable. Robbie was inactive for large parts (as though he's saving himself but never really explodes...except in the last 20 seconds) but it was good seeing Johny lose the belt. I'm sure him and layman will whinge up a storm again.

I find it funny that he criticised GSP for so long yet he himself was trying to play for points and ride out the fight. Shove his head between Robbie's legs for so long was poor. Glad Dean broke it up as often as he did

B4OyLH_CQAAlm3y.jpg

I thought any of the scores were understandable. Hendricks either struggles to go five rounds or he gets some terrible advice from his corner because flat showings in the fifth round have cost him two title fights now.

First time a fighter has ever won a UFC championship with double-digit career losses, Couture had eight losses when he beat Sylvia. The other eight champions have a combined total of nine losses and none of them more than two. Usually somebody with that many losses in the UFC is a career journeyman or a former champ on the downswing of their career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I've watched the main event again, This is how I score it

R1 - Lawler comes out strong and controls the first minute with heavy knees and strikes. Great defence by Lawler as Hendricks spends 2 and a half minutes up against the cage, takedowns incomplete, Lawler clearly the busy man for while defending the wrestling of Hendricks. Last minute and both standing just throwing practice shots, Hendricks completes a takedown with 30 seconds left.
Round to Lawler

R2 - Both standing, trading kicks and punches...The first 2 minutes are Hendricks, He stays the bus fighter with combos. JH completes a takedown, A lot of hard work up against the cage for both fighters. Lawler with the front kick, possibly the biggest shot of the fight. Both eat big shots in the last minute with Hendricks grabbing onto a neck as Lawler slips with seconds to go.
Round to Hendricks

R3 - 3 Minutes in and is its all JH with combos and big punches just missing. Lawler spending the whole round so far covering up. Hendricks hits his 3rd takedown with a 1.30 left. JH completes his second takedown for the round with 30 seconds left.
Round to Hendricks

R4 - JH starts the round with a failed TD attempt. Lawler controlling the octagon. Takedown JH with 1.30 left in the 4th. Lawler up with a minute left, controls the middle. JH with another TD attempt but eats hard elbows and punches with 20 seconds left.
Round to ???
I'm undecided on this round.

R5 - 1 minute in and Herb is asking JH to "work" but nothing happening. Both separated by Herb a minute in. Lawler controlling the cage....Hendricks attempts another TD but the defence by Lawler has to be taken into account when scoring rounds. Crowd boos and JH again just stalling against the cage, not working just holding onto Lawler. Hard hammer fists by Lawler. Huge elbows, JH busted up, Lawler going all out and Hendricks is wobbled....clearly the biggest exchange of the fight.
Round to Lawler

----------------

I must admit, when I was watching this live it seemed like a completely different fight....I might of been a bit one eyed at the time but its closer than it seems. Round 4 is the round that I could not separate. Would like to know how others seen the fight from round to round

I thought any of the scores were understandable. Hendricks either struggles to go five rounds or he gets some terrible advice from his corner because flat showings in the fifth round have cost him two title fights now.

First time a fighter has ever won a UFC championship with double-digit career losses, Couture had eight losses when he beat Sylvia. The other eight champions have a combined total of nine losses and none of them more than two. Usually somebody with that many losses in the UFC is a career journeyman or a former champ on the downswing of their career.
Agreed re Hendricks' corner. Layman is a dick and is too self absorbed to think his fighter could be in trouble at any stage. It did look as though johny's wrestling was tiring out Robbie. But all of a sudden johny hit a wall. Robbie is strange though, he always looks like he's pacing himself for an explosion. Sometimes that explosion doesn't come. It's as though he is so laid back that he needs to be told to wake the * up just so he switches on. Going into the fifth Robbie's corner was still relaxed...I thought they should have been trying to pump him up so that he'd wake up a go for it (was critical of his last fight against johny because I thought he didn't want it enough in the last).

So I've watched the main event again, This is how I score it

R1 - Lawler comes out strong and controls the first minute with heavy knees and strikes. Great defence by Lawler as Hendricks spends 2 and a half minutes up against the cage, takedowns incomplete, Lawler clearly the busy man for while defending the wrestling of Hendricks. Last minute and both standing just throwing practice shots, Hendricks completes a takedown with 30 seconds left.
Round to Lawler

R2 - Both standing, trading kicks and punches...The first 2 minutes are Hendricks, He stays the bus fighter with combos. JH completes a takedown, A lot of hard work up against the cage for both fighters. Lawler with the front kick, possibly the biggest shot of the fight. Both eat big shots in the last minute with Hendricks grabbing onto a neck as Lawler slips with seconds to go.
Round to Hendricks

R3 - 3 Minutes in and is its all JH with combos and big punches just missing. Lawler spending the whole round so far covering up. Hendricks hits his 3rd takedown with a 1.30 left. JH completes his second takedown for the round with 30 seconds left.
Round to Hendricks

R4 - JH starts the round with a failed TD attempt. Lawler controlling the octagon. Takedown JH with 1.30 left in the 4th. Lawler up with a minute left, controls the middle. JH with another TD attempt but eats hard elbows and punches with 20 seconds left.
Round to ???
I'm undecided on this round.

R5 - 1 minute in and Herb is asking JH to "work" but nothing happening. Both separated by Herb a minute in. Lawler controlling the cage....Hendricks attempts another TD but the defence by Lawler has to be taken into account when scoring rounds. Crowd boos and JH again just stalling against the cage, not working just holding onto Lawler. Hard hammer fists by Lawler. Huge elbows, JH busted up, Lawler going all out and Hendricks is wobbled....clearly the biggest exchange of the fight.
Round to Lawler

----------------

I must admit, when I was watching this live it seemed like a completely different fight....I might of been a bit one eyed at the time but its closer than it seems. Round 4 is the round that I could not separate. Would like to know how others seen the fight from round to round
I watched it again and I don't think the third judge is crazy giving lawler the 2nd. Quality over quantity so I'd give it to lawler too.

It's a testament to Robbie that he could stuff the take downs so well. A high level college wrestler and his take downs were stuffed and those completed were ineffective.

I watched it again and I don't think the third judge is crazy giving lawler the 2nd. Quality over quantity so I'd give it to lawler too.

It's a testament to Robbie that he could stuff the take downs so well. A high level college wrestler and his take downs were stuffed and those completed were ineffective.

It has one wondering how judges score takedown defence compared to completed takedowns. Do they work on a ratio ? The whole thing just seems weird to me.

It has one wondering how judges score takedown defence compared to completed takedowns. Do they work on a ratio ? The whole thing just seems weird to me.
Guess it comes down to their own personal preference. Takedowns are favoured most firsts but today's fight was the perfect example of a pointless stat. On paper Hendricks had the significant strikes and takedowns. But what did he do with the takedowns and he had a lot of glancing blows / leg kicks (he has improved that part of his game I must admit).

I thought johny did that same against condit (got the takedowns but condit out worked him on the mat)

Just watched it now. Laughable decision IMO. 5th Lawlers, 1st close. 2-4 all easily Hendricks IMO. Hendricks wall and stall was boring and doesn't deserve points but Lawler still didn't do anything.
Ditto, I was chatting to a mate overseas at the time while watching it and we were both devo'd right before the judges decision was read out because we thought Hendricks had robbed it with the ridiculous amount of thigh humping, I even thought that Robbie's body language for the majority of the fight also validated the initial thoughts of most - in that he was losing the fight due to being dry humped all fight. My jaw dropped when the 3rd and final judges tally turned out to be for Robbie.

Terrible decision.. but I don't think too many will sympathise with Johnny due to his gameplan. Suck s**t I say!

The caveat also being - he whinged and complained about GSP playing for points and winning - ergo he really doesn't have a leg to stand on this time around when the shoe's on the other foot.

Trujillo's performance against Ferguson was pretty embarrassing.

Ferguson is no star but I like watching him fight - good hands, a bit of an unorthodox style and has an excellent chin. He's now won 10 of his last 11, I'd like to see him take on some higher level opponents.

So whos next for Lawler?

Rory I guess but if GSP makes a comeback does he get an immediate shot?

If JH had won I would love to have seen Condit & he go 5 rounds.

Pettis, holy s**t. Melendez fought exactly how he needed to win and Pettis took every tiny opportunity Melendez presented him. First 4 minutes or so of the fight was going perfectly for Melendez. Then Pettis found a brief amount of space, which led to him landing some vicious body kicks I think it was. Pettis landed some big punches as Melendez rushed in to push him against the cage as well, which led to the finish.

Lawler/Hendricks was really close and a good fight, while being nowhere near as good as their first. I would have given it to Lawler 48-47. 2nd and 3rd rounds clearly for Hendricks and last round clearly for Lawler. 1st and 4th were close but I thought Lawler won both of them. I expected the judges to give it to Hendricks and when I heard 49-46 I was certain it was for Hendricks. Not sure how a judge gave Lawler the 2nd round.

Back