UFC 187 @ The MGM - DC v Johnson & Weidman V Belfort

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Cerrone and Arlovski stole the night. DC's post fight interview was epic though

Bones to smash Cormier when he comes back. No matter what people think of him and what dodgy crap he's done, he's still the best around.

Belfort got what he deserved - go Weidman!

Bones to smash Cormier when he comes back. No matter what people think of him and what dodgy crap he's done, he's still the best around.

Belfort got what he deserved - go Weidman!
well that goes without saying if he comes back I am sick of seeing these post wish people would just give DC his time in the spotlight at the end of the day Jones is a) not a UFC fighter at the moment B) when and if he comes back that will be dealt with then right now we got a new LHC and some interesting fights to be had.

Paper champ or not, Cormier is more deserving than anyone else as LHW champion.

Also, I don't think Jones will have it as easy as he did the first time round. They weren't even that far apart the first time round. Cormier wasn't even out struck in the stand up and did well in the clinch. DC would have clearly won 1 round and had two rounds where they were 60/40 Jones' way. Jones will probably beat him but DC was in no way embarrassed the same way Rumble was at 187.

Also, I don't think Jones will have it as easy as he did the first time round. They weren't even that far apart the first time round. Cormier wasn't even out struck in the stand up and did well in the clinch. DC would have clearly won 1 round and had two rounds where they were 60/40 Jones' way. Jones will probably beat him but DC was in no way embarrassed the same way Rumble was at 187.
I noticed you mentioned that you've only been watching MMA since late last year. My analysis of the Cormier/Jones fight would have been terrible after watching MMA for that amount of time.

I think you summed it up pretty well. I think Jones won 4 rounds to 1, but that doesn't tell the whole story. You can get 4-1 fights that are blowouts, but this wasn't one of those. It was a very competitive fight with some close rounds that Jones won.

It's hard to predict much of anything about a rematch at this stage but I'd agree with you about it being closer a second time. Jones was much more used to being in big fights than Cormier was (although Cormier did have some rather high profile bouts at HW). Cormier also has less fights than Jones and hasn't been fighting for as long as Jones. What Cormier's gained from his last two bouts could really help him in a rematch down the line. Maybe I'm making more out of these things than I should because I'd like to see Cormier beat him. I definitely think Jones would win again though.

What are some fights they should make after 187?

The logical fight for DC should be Bader but DC is pretty much superior in every way. Gus would be a challenge as he is probably better in the stand up than DC but Gus has only just come off a humiliating defeat against Rumble.

Cerrone apparently has the next title shot but RDS might be injured for a while.

Arloski should fight JDS or Overeem with the winner getting the next title shot against Cain/Werdum.

Weidman to fight Rockhold next. Rockhold has the personality of a rock. Will be going for Weidman.

What are some fights they should make after 187?

The logical fight for DC should be Bader but DC is pretty much superior in every way. Gus would be a challenge as he is probably better in the stand up than DC but Gus has only just come off a humiliating defeat against Rumble.

Cerrone apparently has the next title shot but RDS might be injured for a while.

Arloski should fight JDS or Overeem with the winner getting the next title shot against Cain/Werdum.

Weidman to fight Rockhold next. Rockhold has the personality of a rock. Will be going for Weidman.

Bader is the obvious choice for the next fight with DC, but like Gus' chances of taking the belt better. Still, given the winning streak he's on and the recent rivalry that's started I see him getting the shot.

JDS won't be getting a title shot any time soon while Cain is still champion I wouldn't think, so I think they'll keep him out of title eliminators for the time being. For that reason, I'd do JDS vs Overeem and Miocic vs Arlovski next.

Cerrone is apparently waiting for a title shot when RDA is back healthy (I believe I read November), but it would be odd to see Cowboy sit out that long. If he took a fight in the meantime a fight with Johnson would make sense.

While Rockhold is deinitely worthy of getting a shot, I would like to see Jacare get next crack at Weidman.

Sounds like Weidman wants Jacare next, rates him as more of a contest - reckons Rockhold's not elite in any aspect.

I can actually see the UFC booking Travis Browne vs Mark Hunt for the big event in Melb at the end of the year - that probably makes the most sense to me seeing as they're around the same position with a couple of losses each to top class opponents, and I can see it being an entertaining fight.

I'd probably prefer they keep Miocic and Arlovski apart for a while so that if Cain unifies the belt they have the next couple of title fights sewn up without having the lingering "oh but he lost recently" argument hanging over either of their heads. Having said that, Cain fights around once every 18 months so maybe by the time he's ready, who ever loses between Arlovski & Miocic will have fought their way back into contention since then.

I actually think i'll be rooting for Jones *when* they meet again, next time around. DC's really, really rubbing me up the wrong way. He'll get brought back down to Earth with a thud in the rematch.
What has DC done that's making you dislike him?

For me silly trash talk or whatever DC's done doesn't compare to things that Jones has done. There's the alleged hit and run, which makes him look like an uncaring, horrible person. Then there's his comments about famous people not needing to rape, which is all kinds of ****ed up. Then there's him posting gay this, f** that on somebody's instagram (which he denies he did, but I'm not buying it).

I realise I'm different than others when it comes to MMA. Some people don't give a s**t about stuff outside of the fights and promotion of the fights (as an example from boxing - people rooting for Floyd Mayweather clearly fall into this category). I do though and to me nothing DC has done or said compares to the awful stuff Jones has done and said.

The Browne vs Arlovski was the single greatest round I've ever seen. (I've only started following UFC late last year)
I was going to reply to this before but forgot to. Was listening to the MMA Hour and they spoke about something like this. Browne vs Arlovski was a terrific fight and as a 1 round fight it was just about as good as you could hope for. Check out Nick Diaz vs Paul Daley, either on UFC Fight Pass or I'm sure you could find it somewhere else. It was an even better 1 round fight imo.

It might be an incorrect stereotype but I swear Brazilians have the worst wrestling.
This is a pretty accurate assessment when you compare Brazil to the other countries that produce a lot of high level fighters. The reason that Brazilian fighters' wrestling isn't as good as other countries is because of the martial arts systems in place. The US has kids wrestling from a very young age, so fighters from America have a leg up. Russian fighters, more specifically fighters from the North Caucasus are doing wrestling, sambo and judo from a young age. Dagestani fighters in particular are enjoying a lot of success in MMA because of these programs, especially for a region with such a small population. Brazil has a very sound base in BJJ and various striking styles, such as muay thai and kickboxing.

A Brazilian fighter who has tremendous wrestling is Jose Aldo. He doesn't use it offensively all that often, but when he has it's worked well. He uses it very well defensively and has some of the best, if not the best, takedown defence in the sport at this moment. Junior Dos Santos and Renan Barao also have great takedown defence. Jacare Souza has good wrestling, as does Demian Maia.

Some think Khabib Nurmagomedov is boring but I enjoy his style a lot. Check out his fight with Abel Trujillo, which had the most takedowns in a UFC fight. Also check out Rustam Khabilov's fight with Vinc Pichel for a KO by suplex. They're a couple of Dagestani fighters with great takedowns.

well that goes without saying if he comes back I am sick of seeing these post wish people would just give DC his time in the spotlight at the end of the day Jones is a) not a UFC fighter at the moment B) when and if he comes back that will be dealt with then right now we got a new LHC and some interesting fights to be had.

Fair point. I suppose the only thing I was thinking of was DC calling him out at the after-fight octagon interview. Will certainly be interesting in the meantime. Would like to see DC v Gustaffson if he can get back to the sme form he had against Bones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back